Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I've always wanted to live on Shetland, all my life. Never got there yet though..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
19 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We'll pop up and have a word at some point

Mrs C is completely converted, she has said she likes a few places like Callander and Pitlochry and would live most places in between the two. There's got to be somewhere snowy in there surely? "Just" need to get jobs and a house move sorted now, how hard can it be? Might take a while but it'll be worth it.

It's mostly altitude and keeping away from that big blue hot water bottle that surrounds us. And a bit to do with aspect.  Also there seem to be some places where the topography favours snow, but I've never figured that out.  Altitude is the key - I grew up in Kendal, and it was so obvious there: wherever you were, you could see the snow line, a horizontal line on both sides of the valley. Good for me that we lived towards the upper parts on east-facing slopes... Icy puddles, snowmen and sledging on the golf course all winter... well occasionally anyway!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
50 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We'll pop up and have a word at some point

Mrs C is completely converted, she has said she likes a few places like Callander and Pitlochry and would live most places in between the two. There's got to be somewhere snowy in there surely? "Just" need to get jobs and a house move sorted now, how hard can it be? Might take a while but it'll be worth it.

My home area Catch. I can give advice on local snow variations around Highland Perthshire (on commission) if you get the go ahead. 

I have been working away at the wife to get back up there (or Speyside) for some time now that the kids have grown up but so far without any luck

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Dry, clear and frosty. Temp is 0c. Easily the dominant weather in the mornings this 'winter'! I guess the alternative poor winter could have seen relentless gales and lashing rain. I'll take the 'winter' we've had in a heartbeat over that

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Dry, clear and frosty. Temp is 0c. Easily the dominant weather in the mornings this 'winter'! I guess the alternative poor winter could have seen relentless gales and lashing rain. I'll take the 'winter' we've had in a heartbeat over that

I agree, that's quite a temperature inversion we've had overnight. Uppers are around +8 this morning for Edinburgh and outside it is 0C.

The horrible weather is very likely to return next week, it's a bad outlook for Scotland. The high pressure just isn't convincing enough and I think the Atlantic will attempt to flatten it, resulting in very wet and strong south-southwesterly currents for Scotland.

GFS P still going for a drier outlook, ecmwf too (with some rain only on Wednesday)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Don't worry Catch, we'll probly be up to oor oxters in snaw by mid-April

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I just used the words "real taste of spring" in my forecast on my FB weather page for today...I don't know if I should laugh or cry. 

Ban hammer? Where's a moderator when you need one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A lovely bright morning with temp at 5C when I left the house, but sitting at around 8/9C in Keith as I passed through.

I've pretty much chucked in the towel on winter now. Not ruling out a return completely, but I just can't see where it's going to come from. Very disappointing, from a winter that had lots of 'promise' but very little 'delivery'. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Frosty here until around 9AM but now feeling very mild in the sun.

12.5C at 6PM yesterday at Cairngorm summit. High of 14.5C. Snow must be disappearing fast.

Posted

Very windy again with bright sunshine  RH of 25% and currently 14c feels really unseasonal. Fields getting dusty on the surface.Grass starting to green up.

Posted

A really poor day to be outside on Skye with any exposure to the south - too windy to do anything useful. So I'm back at the house typing this instead. Tomorrow looks like a compromise crapness with some rain and slightly less wind, f f s. I'll be glad to be home but that's not yet.

Posted

Lovely spring like lunchtime in Peebles. Sun splitting the sky. Is it April already?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Yes it's really mild outside, its actually feels really warm. I hope this is sign of a nice warm and muggy summer this year with plenty of storms. 

I have just finished spraying the patio and driveway to get rid of the horrible green mould, i don't usually get this done until April when it gets warmer.

• Like 2

Posted

We've jumped straight to a warm spell say towards middle or end of April really is a hazy super warm afternoon not bad considering we had a frost last night 

Posted
5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

A lovely bright morning with temp at 5C when I left the house, but sitting at around 8/9C in Keith as I passed through.

I've pretty much chucked in the towel on winter now. Not ruling out a return completely, but I just can't see where it's going to come from. Very disappointing, from a winter that had lots of 'promise' but very little 'delivery'. 

Your assessment summed it up. Last winter even into April was a miracle this winter been a bit of a disaster but luck of the draw

Posted

A damn windy day on Skye, too windy for much more than survival so little constructive achieved on my little hill.

This is Marsco on the left and the north end of the Cuillins.  It's been really poor hazy light in this moist southerly all week. 1283703800_MarscoCuillins.thumb.jpg.ef74e69e4ce0b501ecc49291d8885e5f.jpg

More of the same tomorrow. Depressing.

• Like 9

Posted

According to the car it was 15C in Fochabers at 1:30pm. Welcome to summer. 

• Like 1

Posted

There has been plenty of hazy sunshine hereabouts, but cold this morning. (0C)

Montrose Basin from the train station just after dawn.

1794099796_montdawn011.thumb.jpg.edc91384eff8ffdeeaa9fb95cb554123.jpg

Aberdeen, later in the morning, although sunny, was still chilly with an unpleasant gusty wind. Much the same on returning home. 

Haven’t felt the (spring) warmth yet, up here yet.:oldsad:

• Like 9

Posted

You couldn't make this up. Thick near horizontal drizzle this morning. Back to bed? But where's Florence? She had more sense than to go to Skye!

Posted

11c here with mainly blue skies, just a bit of high cloud. Not much of a breeze either do feels pleasant in the sun.

Our bees are taking advantage of the warmer weather this week too, they were out flying when I checked on Wed and are out again today. After being cooped up for weeks in a wooden box (a bit like @Hairy Celtby the sounds of it) they'll be enjoying getting out again (assuming bees have such a concept).

Off in a bit to check a house where the owner has noticed bees going in and out of the wall/roof. We'll see if we can identify them, and if we can do anything about them for her. The likely answer to the latter is no. If they are honey bees and the've been in there all winter they are probably quite cosy and settled so trying to entice them out into a hive (even with free food laid on) is unlikely to be successful. If they are mason bees or something they are pretty much harmless and will die in a few weeks anyway. 

• Like 5