Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

i like to catch spiders in my hands.... it freaks out the kids and wife in equal measures

walked past the sledging hill with the dog last night and sighed..... since moving here in 2010 no matter how dire the weather the kids have always got at least one day even if for a few hours when they could sledge..... not this winter yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Ok. If you're going to talk about piders then I'm off!! Oot of here until it's a pppider free zone. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

BBC forecast 0 - 1 HC hunch. Hopefully better this afternoon.

Also, we get the opposite effect to at home. There, the radar shows rain and there is none; here, the radar is blank and there's diagonal rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
15 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's quite comfy in the shed, if you don't mind spiders. 

15 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Don't mind them, as long as they ain't too big. Is this what we're forced to resort to when the weather won't play ball, talking about sheds and spiders? 

spiders  if I see a decent enough sized spider I turn into Ron from Harry Potter :oldlaugh: giphy.gif  

back to the weather 10.3C here and cloudy 

whilst we continue to wait for wintry weather, Hawaii has had some snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

honest to fk even Hawaii trolling us with snaw. 

Posted

Just as evidence that I am on Skye, not still trolling you (¿Qui, moi?) from the Black Isle...

181893130_EasaBhradain1.thumb.jpg.19814c76243f4c57cbb8862efa39e6bd.jpg   1389587556_EasaBhradain2.thumb.jpg.7a84e19b4e86234d74095df883571460.jpg 

The Eas a'Bhradain by the A87, just past Luib. And that's probably eaten my ration of interweb bytes for the week uploading them 

Bisders? It's not as if this is Oz, with random small creatures coming OUT FROM BEHIND THE SOFA after your blood while you watch Celebrity Masturbators...

Wunderground reckons it's 21C here now!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted

13c again today and a very strong south wind.Ground drying up very fast . RH of 55%

.Still have concerns about soil moisture levels this coming summer. Another season of extreme weather?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

13c again today and a very strong south wind.Ground drying up very fast . RH of 55%

.Still have concerns about soil moisture levels this coming summer. Another season of extreme weather?

Yes, parts of Eastern Scotland had their driest ever January (Edinburgh for example) and from Angus down to Berwickshire there have been very few months in the last twelve that even reached average rainfall levels. Not much sign of significant rain in the foreseeable either for these areas. I suspect that Aberdeenshire round to the Moray Firth has been pretty dry also. Not sure if there are any huge concerns for the farmers yet though?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Anyone else change the channel when the weather forecast comes on the TV lately? Such a rubbish outlook for cold and snow. 

I hope the summer brings some nice heat and thunderstorms

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Anyone else change the channel when the weather forecast comes on the TV lately? Such a rubbish outlook for cold and snow. 

It's the smug way that they assume everyone wants warmth in winter that really gets my hackles up.

'Hey look how much we've fkd the planet, now we don't have to put up with cold any more!'

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Yes, parts of Eastern Scotland had their driest ever January (Edinburgh for example) and from Angus down to Berwickshire there have been very few months in the last twelve that even reached average rainfall levels. Not much sign of significant rain in the foreseeable either for these areas. I suspect that Aberdeenshire round to the Moray Firth has been pretty dry also. Not sure if there are any huge concerns for the farmers yet though?

here are my stats for winter (so far) comparing to the 1981-2010 average https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcvz0r35b

Dec - Average 74.0 mm , Dec 2018 52.5 mm 

Jan - Average 67.7 mm, Jan 2019 13.7 mm

Feb - Average 51.3 mm, Feb 2019 (so far) 21.4 mm

and the same for temperatures

Dec - Average Max  6.8 C, Dec 2018  8.0 C

Dec - Average min  0.7 C, Dec 2018 3.4 C

Jan - Average Max 6.7 C, Jan 2019  7.0 C

Jan - Average Min 0.9 C, Jan 2019 1.4 C

Feb - Average Max 7.2, Feb 2019 (so far) 8.0 C

Feb - Average min 1.3 C, Feb 2019 (so far) 0.8 C

3 hours ago, Stormeh said:

I am not a fan of the heat but my attention will be turning to the Thunderstorm's - still in search of colder conditions through March then hopefully an early taster during spring with some thundery showers before some lively thunderstorms in the summer :oldsmile: hopefully I can get some more videos like this one I put up from last July 

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Norrance said:

Here the wind is still howling, its currently 11c and the RH is down tonight  to  21% The ground surface is drying up very rapidly even after the last few weeks of rain/snow.   A   newly ploughed   next  to us of red clay is coming up crumbly with no sign of smeared wet furrows. A very unusual event for mid February so at least locally the ground is looking very dry just below the surface. If and its  not a big if then the dust storms will occur again in March/April in newly sown fields on the sandy areas next to the sea on the south side of the Moray Firth.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Norrance said:

I'm quite surprised by that, we had a couple of snowfalls and also a period of very heavy rain during the cold spell. 

Definitely less rain than average here (probably about 20mm), but I'm pretty sure there must've been some January at some point with constant HP blocking and no rainfall in Edinburgh. Could be wrong though.

So far February seems pretty average rainfall wise, we've had some light showers over the past few days and there will probably be some periods of rain during next week. Storm Erik brought persistent heavy rainfall to the city too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
9 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

I'm quite surprised by that, we had a couple of snowfalls and also a period of very heavy rain during the cold spell. 

Definitely less rain than average here (probably about 20mm), but I'm pretty sure there must've been some January at some point with constant HP blocking and no rainfall in Edinburgh. Could be wrong though.

So far February seems pretty average rainfall wise, we've had some light showers over the past few days and there will probably be some periods of rain during next week. Storm Erik brought persistent heavy rainfall to the city too

Hi, It was actually quoted by a Met office spokesman on the news re Edinburgh and other Eastern areas with records at Gogarbank and the Botanic Gardens back iirc to 1915.

Other areas including Dundee,parts of Fife and Angus had the second driest January since records began.

For info Gogarbank’s total for January was 10.2mms

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Going by the forecast and models tonight, it is starting to look as though this winter is petering out from a cauld and snaw pov. Hope this is wrong, but if it's going to go this way, would rather it just did so properly and got onto the warmer days asap, rather than this endless snoozefest. Dull, mild, keech. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wind picked up out of nowhere last night and I thought today was looking blowy but its a lovely still morning at 6C.   So far. If this keeps up then I'll get more gardening done now than I will in Spring. Nothing grows here until into April and if I get the tidying and weeding done it looks beautifully tidy. And completely empty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Nothing on the horizon regarding cold it would seem, they even got the mild forecast wrong saying it would be dry all week (Sunday forecast) its rained nearly every day. 

I'am thinking someone at the Met Office did a runner with the money for the Cray CX40 supercomputer and installed one of these instead to run the models..!!!

Spectrum.jpg

Edited by Klippie
  • Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

The SEPA record for Torduff which is my closest station out this end of town was 9.8mm for January. 

Posted

:shok: 

9.2 C after a high of 11.7 C and hazy sunshine.

tried to get some pics of the sunset just now

IMG_0480.thumb.JPG.3d2ac1d5561cb97cdc40f78d71159ee0.JPGIMG_0481.thumb.JPG.108007d2abfe8132d08771d95d8c274e.JPGIMG_0482.thumb.JPG.6834f60b528347e754d62af14acdddbb.JPGIMG_0483.thumb.JPG.f1359f7414a02dae5dcc1f596bc22ce4.JPG

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
adding sunset pics
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Minging on Skye today. Variable but generally low cloud and persistent rain or drizzle. Not so much wind though but it is foul. 

This is normal HC, yes, it is truly keech! More of this tomorrow. Nae wonder I take a drink! No sign of anything remotely interesting in the coming weeks either, so we'll need to put up wi' this mince for a while. Pass the whisky please. :drunk:

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

This is normal HC, yes, it is truly keech! More of this tomorrow. Nae wonder I take a drink! No sign of anything remotely interesting in the coming weeks either, so we'll need to put up wi' this mince for a while. Pass the whisky please. :drunk:

I commented on the weather to a couple of folk in Portree this morning and they both said 'this is Skye!'

What's your tipple then, I'll bring you a bottle over (Co-op 'irristisistibile single malt is good value.) Except I have no idea which wing to start asking for 'Misty Queen' on!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It had perked up a little by the time we got to Aberfeldy. Defo going to look into moving at some point in the next couple of years, where we live is boring af compared to other parts of Scotland.

20190214_152540.thumb.jpg.6699a7dcb101c3a2ed07056bebef75dd.jpg20190214_154119.thumb.jpg.a7f6216ce6c1209ab06edf95497b5643.jpg

Could you have a word with Ms HC then please? She seems fixed on staying in the snowless strip here, it's driving me nuts!