Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

3C now and little more than slizzle. The recently mended lamp-post isn't needed.

You guys have all given up haven't you? :lazy:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Awww fiddlesticks, I've missed "vile content", and I'd not even have had to head into the model thread for it either. 

Anyway, got back home earlier this evening and although it was dark, as expected it very much looks as if all the snow is gone except for some pathetic remnants where it'd been piled up. Been skimming the models the last couple of days and well, if its "vile content" you're looking for.... 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

... should be quiet in here for a while!

To keep the thread ticking over…. with a tenuous connection to Scotland, I admit…..around 19-20hrs of continuous snowfall on 1st Feb delayed my return to north of the border for 24hrs.

1135426427_SomSnow03.thumb.jpg.0f905cf957b329bc705f0c16033e5a1b.jpg

High Littleton

Edited by ciel
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

7.7C  IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.c747fdc45f94c4e5db8923e8ad4d7e5b.JPGIMG_0459.thumb.JPG.a9370b344c9e69ae6d9aeb2dbd5b65cb.JPG   IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.43ad626a7443b185dc038c5f67546b70.JPG 

still expecting blocking to become a bigger influence as we go through the next few weeks especially with the MJO looking like heading through phase 7 into phase 8   diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.thumb.gif.3d7219485dd57a2c2fd05eb534844a31.gif  CFSO_phase_small.thumb.gif.ebf60ac90eb1b50df7d4cb791d600871.gif 

have seen quite a few ensembles with a block in that sort of position nino_8_feb_mid.thumb.png.9e846b7325b4a1462b848d035c5c9fe1.png the ideal scenario would be to get the core of the above average heights nearer Greenland  and get a better NE / E flow but I will be happy just to see a block appear in the nearer term charts especially in this "unique" winter where blocking that should have been appearing has not for whatever reasons I am also unsure why this has been the case this winter but I am certainly not throwing in my towel yet, lets wait and see how this progresses - remember the timings last year... 

gensnh-4-1-384.thumb.png.1f3e1a090adbc2c7a884bbb6d2540d9d.pnggensnh-12-1-384.thumb.png.e1278fd09f49ab4284ea9e0e145ab8e2.pnggensnh-19-1-384.thumb.png.ba8a5f48b7d73ab55664bc1d984d9e49.png  

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Feeling miserable here in Falkirk. Glorious weather all weekend, kids off school and I have Labyrinthitis. Can't get out of bed for feeling dizzy and sick, eaten nothing but a few strawberries since Friday. Can't even read my book which is pure torture for me.  Glum, glum, glum. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I cut my front grass a couple of weeks ago, it'll need done again soon

Yes shifted wintering sheep onto a fresh grass field today with an inch of fresh growth since late November. Otherwise a pleasant day after a frosty satart at -0.5c. Currently 4c

• Like 2

Posted

@ciel - that's quite some snow. and @Quinach - good pics again! What altitude are you at there?

We have the first growth of grass at the foot of our wall on the pavement side. You can bring your sheep over any time, @Northernlights!

Posted

Dropped a friend off at Glasgow airport late this afternoon.  Temp reading 7C at that time in Glasgow. Passing Stirling on way home very surprised to be advised by radio traffic info that the B947 was closed due to snow - and it's true. Mind you, the police close that road at a drop of a hat these days.

image.thumb.png.1cfde0e9e887dbb30bf297c9e9e79117.png

Temp 2C at present, here, with no precipitation or appreciable wind.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted

Horrible GFS 18, wet and stormy next weekend and most of next week :( we just had Erik, it's not November for crying out loud!

Really frustrating weather at the moment and the outlook is dire. Honestly couldn't think of a worse way for February to continue. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@ciel - that's quite some snow. and @Quinach - good pics again! What altitude are you at there?

We have the first growth of grass at the foot of our wall on the pavement side. You can bring your sheep over any time, @Northernlights!

Around Cabrach the road is around 1300ft - approached it from the south (B9002). Latter road in poor state of repair, lots of potholes thanks to the weather.

• Like 2

Posted

Today's weather word is - Meh

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@CatchMyDrift as I have been mentioning over the past week or so I still believe we will be seeing a block of some variety soon given the MJO (although it hasn't panned out at other times this winter, I always try to be as positive as possible and believe our luck will change for the better) the £1 million question will be the location of said block, as I mentioned yesterday my preference would be to get that block as near to Greenland as possible to give us the best chance of a NE / E flow.

anim_adf4.thumb.gif.1dcde1414ff0c366dd4e15b6a0cadeeb.gif  gensnh-6-1-324.thumb.png.2f58b1e876e1718b3df1d21ea276895b.png gensnh-9-1-324.thumb.png.d6ba4e79c9e23b1c6f511e4721e1af38.pnggens-10-1-384.thumb.png.a938efc0a358430fdde8f77410df0ac3.pnggensnh-11-1-384.thumb.png.693788e413f5a9bee22386c65018f5d7.pnggensnh-15-1-300.thumb.png.1a11894d2b3c8ea2cb2dfa46c266cdc2.pnggens-17-1-264.thumb.png.21e7f049c84f1b70fa730278d6130fed.pngstill wouldn't rule out the high over scandi too although the block nearer Greenland may become the more likely route. gensnh-4-1-288.thumb.png.5efaf8be9e9457f36cb0fa0d14320702.png 

11.7C and cloudy here.

• Like 5

Posted

Strong southerly wind off the Cairngorms bright sunshine and 13.5c. The famous Nairnshire climate .The Riviera of the North

Spring is here but unlikely to stay.  One sheep this morning was doing a seies of four legs off the ground jumps for about five minutes really enjoying the day.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, NL...the Foehn effect has already caught-out models and experts alike.

• Like 1

Posted

Escaped out west for a few days now, settled into a little place on Skye.  This morning I came through Glenmoriston and Glenshiel which were both awash, both rain and serious snowmelt higher up.  Skye was drying up as a I got here, rainbows and light showers, and a stiff southerly (I still haven't forgotten Mandy). The car thermometer reported a max of 12C :shok: - but it was already 9C when I left home at 8 :shok::shok:.

• Like 4

Posted

Lol. Stav says light rain or drizzle for the western isles. I'd put money on him never having been here as he said it without any hint of irony or eyebrow lifting.

We'll see tomorrow eh chaps?

Posted
Just now, Hairy Celt said:

Eff me this is an echo chamber tonight, HC. How's things?

Oh pretty mild you know. Just got to be wary of not posting too often or they put you out in the coal shed for an hour.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's quite comfy in the shed, if you don't mind spiders. 

Don't mind them, as long as they ain't too big. Is this what we're forced to resort to when the weather won't play ball, talking about sheds and spiders?