Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I just wanted to write something suitable about Andy Nisbet but words fail me. Brilliant bloke and climber.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
9 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

When did the Euro4 start doing Scotland charts? They never had this option this time last year, now the UK can be split into Scotland or England:

0702e42.thumb.jpg.c66111cda2048570a9c5769dfa7bddbb.jpg

There are several more options now than previously, nice

Should be good for posting in the model thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Its all doom and gloom in the cold hunt thread this morning, towels being thrown in and prams and toys are being readied. it does seem that the 1st half of Feb is a bust but we all know just how quick the models can and do flip from mild to cold and we in Scotland still have about 10 weeks of winter left to go so plenty of time. on a side issue im making stuffed braised lambs hearts for tea and was just wondering if any of you kind folk in here have any tips or advice, ive made them plenty of times but interested to hear of others methods.

• Like 1

Posted

@bigsnow - you guys not vegans either then? We had veggie haggis last night which was surprisingly.... salty! My inner carnivore will be released next week when I go away to work.

Oh and er… just damp and very gloomy this morning. No wind at all.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@bigsnow - you guys not vegans either then? We had veggie haggis last night which was surprisingly.... salty! My inner carnivore will be released next week when I go away to work.

Oh and er… just damp and very gloomy this morning. No wind at all.

Oh no not in this house, i did make veggie sausage pasta last night and thats about as veggie as we get, we are a meat eating family and kids eat all the stuff i did as a child, liver and bacon, hearts, kidneys, haggis, tongue and black pudding, they have a very good intake of fresh veg as well. Inner carnivore you say? that must be something to see 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

This is our local footy pitch, very rarely flooded so i reckon the ground must still be quite hard underneath after the constant frosts.

As i should be coaching at 9am tomorrow cant say im that gutted

20190208_083756.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, edo said:

This is our local footy pitch, very rarely flooded so i reckon the ground must still be quite hard underneath after the constant frosts.

20190208_083756.jpg

You need one of them fancy plastic pitches, play in all conditions on one of them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

27.4mm of rain since 2am. Earn is high - has slightly burst its banks in the village centre. Mild: currently 7.3C/7C. Can we have the cauld back please?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
42 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's only a small puddle, you'll all be fine.

Aye, sure I've watched youngest son play games on worse than that, and we wonder why Scotland struggles to produce decent players. 

5C and patchy heavy rain here, with resulting rapid thaw and lots of surface water. Heading to central belt for weekend and suspect garden will be all green again by the time we get back on Sunday. 

Looking forwards, although certainly not giving up enough on winter yet, part of me is beginning to look forward to spring. Be nice to see the garden wake from its slumber. I'm saying that from the point of view of someone living in an area that has actually experienced some decent wintry weather and snow lying for extended periods. 

• Like 1

Wet and windy here today with a top gust of 64mph so far. I went on Weather Underground to look at all the weather stations there since it's windy across a lot of Scotland today below is a list of the highest gusts so far also includes some airports and Met Office weather stations,

Glen Ogle 68mph
Catrine 68mph
Castlebay Isle of Barra 64mph
Forth Bridge 61mph
Tiree 59mph
Maybole 58mph
Lower Milovaig Isle of Skye 57mph
Glasgow Airport 55mph
Eskdalemuir 55mph
Bunessan, Isle of Mull 55mph
Fleet Bay, Solway Firth 54mph
West Freugh 53mph
Isle of Eigg 52mph
Campbeltown 52mph
Islay 52mph
Oban Marina 51mph
South Uist 51mph
Dundrennan 51mph
Edinburgh Airport 50mph
Inverkip 47mph
Carsluith 47mph
Glasgow Bishopton 46mph
Langton Place Newton Mearns 46mph
Aberdeen Airport 44mph
Roberton 44mph
Brodick Isle of Arran 43mph

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, edo said:

20190208_083756.jpg

they could be playing football in worse conditions :oldrofl: :help:  

9.8C here and a wee bit blowy so far but probably a lot worse to come (my weather station is not very high so doesn't really tell the story with the wind but usually anything near 20 mph is a good indicator that it is quite gusty) highest gust so far today 21.0 mph and 4.1mm of rain so far

bias corrected GEFS - a bit of the PV over us  gensbcnh-9-1-384.thumb.png.d97b49f08ef6b0c77d89d5dc2175955d.png  gensbcnh-10-1-384.thumb.png.f6b759f12a35b415b5462e604fceeff2.png gensbcnh-16-1-384.thumb.png.4848030fc7a4aa5af9be8fdd3d5e3735.png anim_ggj5.thumb.gif.2d8d9e89fe693423e841528e418e7e0e.gif  gensnh-14-1-384.thumb.png.ac6240107fcd83359ccd44e2b9ea733e.png gensnh-11-1-384.thumb.png.6d12009649d8905497a4a0d78eff1db1.png  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
14 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather I tried to PM you but keeps saying you cant receive messages??

:cc_confused: PM's have worked fine in the past I will try and send you 1 and see if you can reply 

Posted

A short slightly gusty spell here around midday, otherwise calm and pretty nothing sort of weather. 

We were told at school that going fell running in bad weather was character-building. We just despised the teachers a bit more. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , blizzards and proper winter weather

Heavy overnight rain and again today has washed a lot of snow away but still plenty left in the shadows with hard compacted ice still in abundance. 

DSC_0452.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Definitely a problem for us, it's ridiculous and my comment was very tongue in cheek. We need a complete overhaul of how we do sport in this country as the weather is a huge hurdle. I can remember getting sent out to play rugby on a pitch that was more puddle than grass as a kid, it doesn't teach anyone anything, except resentment

totally agree... we have trained once since the start of December, we have astro on a tuesday night but that has been off due to being too icy. We are getting great numbers and girls  being interested aswell but can easily fall away when you dont have the facilities.... will try again sunday for a session  

thoroughly miserable night here... about to get the duvet on the couch and the kids movies on 2/7 that im asleep by 7.30

@Kirkcaldy Weatheryou are the master of a you tube video ??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Pretty poor stuff in Motherwell as is often the case when it's windy unless a westerly gets funnelled through the central belt.Max gusts barely making it to 45mph.

Posted

@edo our lot played on astro in the blizzard sunday just gone but the day before the game on standard pitch was called off due to frost..