Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

its not been the best winter so far but i can say this, we will be able to go into the banter/hunt thread at some point in the next 10 weeks and gloat about snaw, not ya melt away in the morning pish like that lot in englandshire have been wetting there knickers over the last few days but im talking proper snaw you know the real hardy stuff that sticks about despite that big burning ball of fire in the sky.. mon the snaw!!

Posted

Well that lasted all of an hour. Cold pish the rest of the day, which meant we had to head into the shops, rather than play in SNAW, costing me a small fortune.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
19 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

its not been the best winter so far but i can say this, we will be able to go into the banter/hunt thread at some point in the next 10 weeks and gloat about snaw, not ya melt away in the morning pish like that lot in englandshire have been wetting there knickers over the last few days but im talking proper snaw you know the real hardy stuff that sticks about despite that big burning ball of fire in the sky.. mon the snaw!!

I don’t know why but I pictured you typing this up while sitting in a kilt, picture of the Loch Ness monster on the wall playing the bagpipes, Braveheart belting oot the TV, hunners eh books aboot the TV show taggart laying about the floor while yer tanning a pint of Tennents lager mixed in wae a blended haggis ranting aboot the snow in Wiltshire, England. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been a slow thaw of lying snow here today though the max temp so far was 2.2C, actually slightly lower than testerday. Currently 0.1C and cloudy but dry. Last night got down to-5.7C before it clouded over.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
7 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I don’t know why but I pictured you typing this up while sitting in a kilt, picture of the Loch Ness monster on the wall playing the bagpipes, Braveheart belting oot the TV, hunners eh books aboot the TV show taggart laying about the floor while yer tanning a pint of Tennents lager mixed in wae a blended haggis ranting aboot the snow in Wiltshire, England. 

im sure its more snow under a nom de plume 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
12 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Taggart...lol.. " theres been a murder"...much better than the pish the bbc are currently knocking out for a fee of £13 a month.. not that ive ever paid it coz they cant make me.lol

Posted

Conversation just now about our Friday delivery of coal and peat. I said I was sure we had ordered kindling as well but I hadn't noticed it...

Went outside and lo and behold it is there - in white polyethylene bags which had been camouflaged by the snow! :oldlaugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Saw kids playing ice hockey on the frozen pond at Riverside, Dundee this afternoon. First time this has been possible for quite a few years. Still hovering just above freezing for now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I have no idea if we'll get more chances this winter and a lot of what I say is more in hope than expectation, but....how much would you bet against it not happening? You'd have to be an idiot to bet much against it as you would have a very decent chance of losing. 

In order to convince myself of how things can change in the forecast, went back to last years thread and found this post by yourself  heralding the first signs of the beast...

So that gives me some hope. Obviously not expecting the beast to return or anything like it, I still ended up getting lost in that thread and reminiscing about the event - got a nice little reminder of how my work still wanted us to go in the day after... 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

In order to convince myself of how things can change in the forecast, went back to last years thread and found this post by yourself  heralding the first signs of the beast...

So that gives me some hope. Obviously not expecting the beast to return or anything like it, I still ended up getting lost in that thread and reminiscing about the event - got a nice little reminder of how my work still wanted us to go in the day after... 

Cheers for attaching that thread! @101_North knew it would be memorable. (See attached screenshot below )

13CBDC57-B9A8-475B-B5C2-D19C5F01F267.thumb.png.0eb880b15ad8f61c13e701c3ccd973d8.png

First ten pages are pure snow heaven - 16/01/2018 was one the all time greats. I was in double figures for snow showers that day - Thundersnow, massive flakes and total whiteouts! The showers were so intense and long lasting - the glorious Winter of 2017/18. ❄️☃️

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been a real snow weekend for me, starting with an interesting drive home from work on Friday due to the stuff, then the winter wonderland that we woke to on Saturday morning. Today I spent with my youngest at the Lecht, which was good, if rather too busy (blame Cairngorms dodgy funicular for that?). Had to go the long way round i.e. Dufftown both there and back as Strathdon side was closed on and off (mainly closed) all day. 

Despite the weather warning we're under I'm fully expecting to wake to rain and a thaw. Temp forecasts for up here dont look too ridiculous so I suspect we'll keep at least some remnants of snow for a few days yet. Hoping to head off to Nevis Range next weekend if the weather doesn't ruin the plans. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Cauld rain on here, washing away today's snaw. Currently 0.8C/1C. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Cheers for attaching that thread! @101_North knew it would be memorable. (See attached screenshot below )

13CBDC57-B9A8-475B-B5C2-D19C5F01F267.thumb.png.0eb880b15ad8f61c13e701c3ccd973d8.png

First ten pages are pure snow heaven - 16/01/2018 was one the all time greats. I was in double figures for snow showers that day - Thundersnow, massive flakes and total whiteouts! The showers were so intense and long lasting - the glorious Winter of 2017/18. ❄️☃️

That whole thread is a goldmine of great memories

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Had some moderate snow here earlier, didn't settle, seemed to turn to rain within an hour.

Hoping some of you are right when you say there should be more chances later in the winter.

Same here - plenty of good old-fashioned cold Scottish rain lashing doon tonight - hopefully the hills north of the central belt will get a good snow top-up tonight and tomorrow morning.

Last few Lanarkshire snow snaps for now - taken on Saturday.

reuse.php?id=6046724&download=eb2624e6

reuse.php?id=6046731&download=baaa59bf

reuse.php?id=6046751&download=064307d8

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

3C and piddling down. What tiny scraps of snow that had survived till this evening are now gone. Miserable bloody weather.

More beer, matron.  No, HC, go to bed, you have to be clever tomorrow.

Yay. A shiny new page.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

Well that thaw yesterday  didn"t last long we have three inches of very heavy wet snow this morning and its still falling heavily All the power and phone lines will be vulnerable today.

Currently -2c

• Like 3

Posted

A balmy 7c here in EH14. Patchy cloud, bit gloomy so far. Temp should drop a wee bit once the cloud disappears to about 5c. Not overly mild, not cold either but should be a decent dry day

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted

Wee puppy's face dropped this morning when I took her out and the snow was mostly gone.

Hopefully get some more soon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Leuchars (Fife ) recorded it’s driest January in 97 years. Met Office Jan stats

Lowest max -5.1C Balmoral (Aberdeenshire) 31st

Lowest min -14.3C Braemar (Aberdeenshire) 31st  (lower on Friday 1st)

Highest daily rainfall 73.2mm Achnagart (Ross & Cromarty)  12th

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.

4.4c here with a brisk W wind.   Dry.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Max 1cm of very wet snow on driveway this morning but thaw under way with rain falling as we cleared it. Driving up over the hill tbough there was a few cm of heavy wet snow on the road. 

Between Huntly and Fochabers its been heavy snow and roads are a mess. Currently stuck in stationary traffic on A96 just south of Fochabers. Late for work for first time this winter. Schools around Huntly, Keith and down Speyside closed. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5