Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Woke up and just had to have a peek outside, like you do when you're an excited child. All I can say is sorry, I appear to have stolen everyone's snow. All the sweeter as its not a snowfall I was expecting at all really this time yesterday. I think our jokey plan to ski down our garden might be attempted later. 

Pictures will follow once its light. 

• Like 2

Posted

Woke up to a heavy snow shower just before 7. Didn't last long but added another wee bit to our cover. Nothing amazing depth wise - except in the context of this winter so far

Quite a bit warmer this morning but temp still around 0c at the minute. Lovely morning.

• Like 6

Posted

Feeling much milder today compared to the previous three mornings. Heavy snow overnight has increased the depth to around 3 inches, deeper at the North side of the house due to drifting early morning. Looking at the sky, it looks like more snowfall is possible.

Temp -2c, windy and cloud.

Off to pick up a courtesy car, a rear wheel drive BMW. Oh dear.....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Wow i bet the owners of toys r us are regretting closing down.. the amount of business they could have done over in the cold hunt thread over night would have filled the tills for a good while. i for one dont think winter is finished with us yet. maybe those down in Englandshire have had all they are gonna get but we all know winter can still bite us up here as late as end of April.

• Like 1

Posted

We got snow in the end!  Looking at radar it came about 3 hours ago.  Gave an inch or two!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@Ravelin apologies grudgingly accepted, actually not even grudging after seeing those photos.

We got no more ppn of any sort yesterday after the pishy mix in the afternoon. Now -1C, no wind and full sun.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.

Don't think we had any more overnight.   Cloudier and slightly warmer this morning with temp sitting at 0.3c/NW.  About a cm all told I should think.

Nice to see all the same.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

-3c this morning with some fresh snow and a lot of ice underneath a  very slippery mix. Photo of a snow shower over the Firth near Wick.001.thumb.JPG.4b062197349d3f9c158fdbfc6650f359.JPG

.Unlikely to be the last one of winter which can easily carry on till early April up here with sea temperatures finally falling and the frequency of north and east winds at their highest from now until sometimes June when I have ocasionally seen a north wind produce snow on the high hills  over 3000 feet around mid summers day.

• Like 7

Posted

It snowed solid until I went to bed around 2ish. 10-12cm fresh would be a good guess, don’t know what the total depth is now, feeling a bit tender today so haven’t been out and looking at it too much hurts, but a good blanket 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 9

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Well Scotland's smallest and newest ski resort is just about open for business. It only has one short run, manual uplift and a few unnatural hazards (motorhome & car) to navigate but it's quiet and has excellent views across the Howe of Alford. 

IMG_20190202_101300.thumb.jpg.56d06ba4edb205a2fb9c8563af4bdac9.jpg IMG_20190202_101339.thumb.jpg.6ee3a1f873b49c2a234ccc8409637de7.jpg IMG_20190202_101431.thumb.jpg.42905b246d91e9c5c938a4e6f41c0bc6.jpg

Amazing, at least almost all of us got to see some snow. Won't take long to melt it all unfortunately, and each new run is more depressing than the last

• Like 1

Posted

Don't think this one is over yet.   January hasn't delivered for years here.   Models will change again shortly.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@Ravelin efffff you sea kay wy oh you

you jammy bar steward

awesome pics kids are well jel.... they have asked if we can drive there.... no bother i said you may even get a sleepover whilst me and mum go out... its the least he can do after stealing everyones snow. 

my dusting melting in the sun but thats ok as taking the young lad on a road trip to his first away game today.... must go and stock up on sweeties

will give the models a miss after reading above☀️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

We had a load more 'naw' overnight. Not even a frost: minimum of 0.5C. Now up to 3.4C and glorious in the sunshine. May have to go on a snawhunt...

No way is winter over yet btw:

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,

The half o the winter's to come and mair.

If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,

The half o the winter's gone at yule.

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well we got a few runs in at the Tullynessle ski centre, but to be honest, not the best skiing I've ever had. Definitely not worth the piste preparation effort for the skiing, but worth it for the novelty factor. Looks like it'll be the Lecht tomorrow, hopefully the council will get the Donside road open (currently drifting so they won't attempt it} and I'll not have to go the long way round via Dufftown. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Don't think this one is over yet.   January hasn't delivered for years here.   Models will change again shortly.  

It hasn't been a bad January at all, the cold spell has lasted a long time hence the really low temperatures reached across Scotland the past few days. And here are a couple of pics from Edinburgh taken just now. 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a repeat of January this month, mild at the beginning but turning cold in the last two weeks

IMG_20190202_123148056_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190202_123512472_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Ravelin great pictures  get the snowblower oot  snow-removal-c-001.jpg 

snow still hinging aboot here temp up  to 5.1C tho so can see it melting soon

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I was having a look at some of the archive charts for this date with the most recent years with colder weather in Feb / March  and something interesting caught my eye 

Today gfs-2019020200-0-6.thumb.png.fb889152df924852f8ca842c36ad7a89.png gfsnh-2019020200-0-6.thumb.png.6067216b66f989f4714e356068673192.png  

same date in 2018

archives-2018-2-2-0-0.thumb.png.0daf3f2d2f282f64276f797f5770cfbd.pngarchivesnh-2018-2-2-0-0.thumb.png.4a38472d7402ea75292de5b1a61e29ef.png 

and 2013 

archives-2013-2-2-0-0.thumb.png.fe4d36a3aa3d7c3fdcfd06a738034eb4.pngarchivesnh-2013-2-2-0-0.thumb.png.d951b92e293e87f0fda7c455e5f47f66.png 

all 3 are pretty similar with the northerly flow in the UK - closest match probably 2013 only due to that high toward the pacific last year - could purely be coincidence or some sort of similar weather patterns if it is that could mean colder weather could be on the way we will have to wait and see.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
52 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Also Groundhog day which surely is linked to this? By this reckoning we have six weeks of winter to come as it has been sunny this morning.

Punxsutawney Phil didny get the script :oldrofl: although maybe an early spring for the USA might send the polar vortex and his mate the beast from the east our way 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Went for a very pleasant walk this morning outside of town. One driver didn’t take care earlier just opposite Invergowrie near the Swallow roundabout. Currently sunny at 1.9C from a low of -2.3C this morning.

My daughter was wrapped up as if in Chicago.

8515AD9E-F8E8-4526-8BE6-B0006D6EBA09.jpeg

BA237648-C8CA-4110-963D-4231976D556A.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

:oldsmile:

34 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

It hasn't been a bad January at all, the cold spell has lasted a long time hence the really low temperatures reached across Scotland the past few days. And here are a couple of pics from Edinburgh taken just now. 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a repeat of January this month, mild at the beginning but turning cold in the last two weeks

IMG_20190202_123148056_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190202_123512472_HDR.jpg 

Well, it's pretty meagre don't you think? .  I was referencing Januarys' over the last good number of years really, which definitely have not delivered for here.  Granted, some areas have done/do better than others but on average, winters nowadays tend to deliver at the back end here.  If they deliver at the front end then that is usually it for the rest of the season, as with 2010\11?:oldsmile:

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

.Unlikely to be the last one of winter which can easily carry on till early April up here with sea temperatures finally falling and the frequency of north and east winds at their highest from now until sometimes June when I have ocasionally seen a north wind produce snow on the high hills  over 3000 feet around mid summers day.

Part of the magic of Spring Northerlies and Easterlies is the day length and brightness  which can give some rally stunning colours to the clouds and sky when you have arctic air.

Also in the evening as shower activity fades you can still see and photograph snow showers out over the North Sea.      Definitely think it is part of my Viking heritage which draws me to being someone who likes snowy weather and knowing that a lot of  this type of weather originates from where they came.

• Like 8