Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Radar shows a big blob of snow making it's way due south over the Western Highlands - what's the chances that might just survive long enough to get the Glasgow area later? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
44 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Oh, I knew it wouldn't be long before you turned up to take a pop!:oldlaugh:

I'll show you, I'll show the lot of you (:wallbash:}

Do you remember this abandoned prototype I found out in the woods many years ago? We could have an unused snowblower convention!

snowblower.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

From experience of living in the area, somewhere between none and zero? Fingers crossed for you though

That was my own thinking to be fair. Wishbone effect will be in full effect no doubt. It's making a decent first of it though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
5 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Do you remember this abandoned prototype I found out in the woods many years ago? We could have an unused snowblower convention!

snowblower.jpg

Oh, I remember it well!   I think it came up as a suggestion when I was asking around for advice on which type to buy!:oldlaugh:

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Snow turned moderate to heavy in Fochabers now.

@ScepticalYou've a bit of time to get down off the hill, but yes itt'll be snow clouds, cos I'm under one and they are heading south.

Seems to be cloud all round the vale now.

Still dry here, temps shot up to -6c. Met Office forecast for snow (50%) to begin around 1pm through to 9pm.

Met office have upgraded to heavy snow starting 1pm.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Aye aye, the cloud is building up towards the north. 

The game's afoot!

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 5

Posted

MetO early warning for Monday issued 

Looks like they're going for an inland with respectable altitude type event. 

IMG_1637.PNG

IMG_1638.PNG

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, Norrance said:

-7.2C here this morning was my lowest this Winter. A beautiful sunny morning but still  cold at -4C in the garden.

Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night? Here are a couple of pics from Aberfeldy last night, courtesy of Iain Struthers. He said he couldn’t take any more as his hands were starting to freeze.

0E5EA29D-3ADB-4623-8179-92E66D9C985B.jpeg

7ADEE985-3F1B-43BE-A909-DA7D78441B60.jpeg

I did try and go to see them, but it was quite misty, especially towards the north. Coupled with the city's light pollution, I had no luck

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
27 minutes ago, Norrance said:

-7.2C here this morning was my lowest this Winter. A beautiful sunny morning but still  cold at -4C in the garden.

Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night? Here are a couple of pics from Aberfeldy last night, courtesy of Iain Struthers. He said he couldn’t take any more as his hands were starting to freeze.

I was gutted - was right on my doorstep but I fell asleep before it appeared! ☹️

E745DB23-7AE8-4544-8F93-CB83E6DF51ED.png

• Like 1

Posted

Looking in all likelihood that the Edinburgh area will see this entire cold spell out without seeing any meaningful snowfall. Maybe a chance of a shower later today and some sleety pish on Monday. Been a cracking spell of weather regardless - low overnight temps, cracking frosts and endless blue sky. The shade of dark blue sky at night, just as the sun is going down, has been amazing. Hopefully a few more days of it yet before the mild(ish) weather comes in. Maybe we'll get a shot of snow at a later date - it's only 1st February after all. Remember what last Feb, Mar and April threw at us in these parts - more snow events than I can remember. Fingers crossed but, if not, I'll take more of this weather over the next few months 

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Looking in all likelihood that the Edinburgh area will see this entire cold spell out without seeing any meaningful snowfall. Maybe a chance of a shower later today and some sleety pish on Monday. Been a cracking spell of weather regardless - low overnight temps, cracking frosts and endless blue sky. The shade of dark blue sky at night, just as the sun is going down, has been amazing. Hopefully a few more days of it yet before the mild(ish) weather comes in. Maybe we'll get a shot of snow at a later date - it's only 1st February after all. Remember what last Feb, Mar and April threw at us in these parts - more snow events than I can remember. Fingers crossed but, if not, I'll take more of this weather over the next few months 

The dusting of snow from a few days ago still hasn't melted :D . Just goes to show how cold it is, and i'm in the city centre too

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
56 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

The game's afoot!

Another game of snaw or nae snow and if its coming from the north a 99% chance I will be on the nae snaw side of things due to those bloody mountains hogging it all  

55 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

IMG_1637.PNG

IMG_1638.PNG

oh joy I can picture the forecasts already - featuring my least favourite phrases - snow on high ground in the north - snow on northern hills - and rain / sleet at lower levels - well I am sorry that we dinny all live on a hill some of us live on lower grund and just want a covering eh snaw! :oldrofl:

4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There's nothing frustrating about being able to see the big bank of cloud 15 miles away that's been dropping snow showers just over the border for the last several hours. Honest. Not even one flake let alone the five I was expecting.

CEVZ.gif sums it up nicely lol

4 hours ago, edo said:

Cold as f00k

Hee haw snaw

Pram is empty

That is the forecast from Lunarty

1st one ✅

2nd one ✅

3rd one ❌ ATM but will happen eventually if this scandi high doesny get its act together in the next few weeks

forecast forwarded on fae Kirkcaldy :oldlaugh:

3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Looks as if I'm on the warmer side of the temps posted here this morning. 'Only' -5C at the house at 7:30am and temps generally -1/2C on the drive to Fochabers.

Well my lowest temp overnight was even more tropical at -4.1C :oldrofl:

@Blitzen will you be wearing an outfit like this when / if  you get the chance to use the snowblower? UnrealisticQuickBadger-small.gif 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

IMG_1637.PNG

IMG_1638.PNG

Jesus Christ. What on Earth have the Fifers done to the weather gods?! OWN UP Fifers and confess your sins. Please. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

Jesus Christ. What on Earth have the Fifers done to the weather gods?! OWN UP Fifers and confess your sins. Please. 

welcome%20to%20fife%20sign.jpg where you will never be included in a snaw warning and if you are it will be removed the next day - cos lets face it yeh huvny got a chance - meanwhile even hell has frozen over article-2535709-1A7D3E1E00000578-722_964 

:oldrofl:

just looking at the radar and those showers have definitely gotten closer to the east coast and the teasing fax charts bring the front very close to the east coast too 20190201.1316.PPVA89.png  20190201.1037.PPVE89.png hmmm to get suckered in by the potential or not  I think if I am lucky I might see the shower clouds in the distance if they keep moving closer but will they arrive here I am not so sure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
39 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Another game of snaw or nae snow and if its coming from the north a 99% chance I will be on the nae snaw side of things due to those bloody mountains hogging it all  

oh joy I can picture the forecasts already - featuring my least favourite phrases - snow on high ground in the north - snow on northern hills - and rain / sleet at lower levels - well I am sorry that we dinny all live on a hill some of us live on lower grund and just want a covering eh snaw! :oldrofl:

CEVZ.gif sums it up nicely lol

@Blitzen will you be wearing an outfit like this when / if  you get the chance to use the snowblower? UnrealisticQuickBadger-small.gif 

No...............I'm made of much sterner stuff!:oldp:

91c8c3dac34df1a85d3005ee32c185e6--too-funny-funny-pics.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

IMG_1637.PNG

IMG_1638.PNG

Looking at all the various MO and the associated DPs and 850s, none of which support snow much below the tops of the hills, it's hard to see their reasoning behind heavy snow at 150m ASL.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

I was gutted, scooting about in the van with my camera & tripod finding looking for some clear sky but everywhere within 10-15 miles of Moffat was cloudy when the aurora was peaking. My fantasy aurora for photography is for a clear sky when there's snow on the ground, a frozen loch in the foreground, and just enough moonlight to illuminate the landscape of mountains as the aurora dances behind them

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

We have snaw. That is all.

• Like 9