Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
Just now, Penicuikblizzard said:

Thanks for taking the time to look out the past charts,,,,,I remember that red warning day very well,,it was carnage in Edinburgh

no problem as you can probably tell I am a snow fanatic  I cant remember that off the top of my head but no wonder as a lot of us had already been snawed in well before then :oldrofl: I was living in the highest part of Kirkcaldy during the 2010 Day After Tomorrow type stuff and the end of November streamer event gave me over a foot of snow and some great thundersnow (+ the rest of the snaw in December too of course).

Ah those were the days ... and going back to what I said yesterday @LomondSnowstorm where art thou, come back and join us, back when you were in your prime with the snow analysis and forecasts that you posted in here 2009, 2010 etc you were a lucky charm for snow and in this frustrating winter we need your luck  :drinks:

@LomondSnowstorm returning would bring scenes like this  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
32 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

So according to a post in the banter thread it's spelt SNOW!!! i dare each of you to go into the thread and post as many times as you can using the word SNAW coz said poster say it has been winding him up... i would do it myself but for some reason im still unable to post in that thread.. no idea why, its not like im a wind up merchant or anything. 

on it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Love that post @Kirkcaldy Weather !

I would have been 12 living on Isle of Bute in 2010 and remember getting PROPER snow which was very rare for there! 

• Like 1

Posted

Surprised no mention at all in the forum about expected low mins tonight, BBC reckoning possible -15 degrees in Grampians. Would be good to know of current min temps.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well the bbc weather for the week ahead just caught my eye... possible Snaw event on Sunday and possible another Monday too.. and at the end the fella said a chance of winds from the east a small chance tho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Surprised no mention at all in the forum about expected low mins tonight, BBC reckoning possible -15 degrees in Grampians. Would be good to know of current min temps.

Screenshot_20190130-220116.thumb.jpg.9917148b8caaefc4b92bbce20665e7c9.jpg netatmo live map, not sure how accurate these are, placement of the outside module is really important obviously, a fair bit of variation 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
28 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

One of the most amazing photos I've ever seen. It's Chicago in the background with the sea totally frozen. Highs today there were -27C. Absolutely unbelievable!! 

IMG_1600.PNG

Blimey thats a bit brass monkeys is that!! i hope they have enough bread and milk.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Just another day at the office up there DL

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

One of the most amazing photos I've ever seen. It's Chicago in the background with the sea totally frozen. Highs today there were -27C. Absolutely unbelievable!! 

IMG_1600.PNG

That is absolutely stunning! 

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

IMG_1600.PNG

Wow! Imagine seeing the firth of forth like that  

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

IMG_1600.PNG

Not that it stops it from being a stunning image, but it’s actually Lake Michigan in the foreground (a freshwater lake the size of Wales!) 

Weather in the American Midwest can be pretty extreme. The polar air can travel down there across thousands of miles of land without warming up the way it does when it crosses the open sea.  The Great Lakes produce lake effect snow by convection in the same way that the North Sea (occasionally) does for us during an easterly.

Some of the temperature swings can be pretty crazy as warm air from the Gulf of Mexico can make its way northwards.  St. Louis, Missouri is forecast to have a temperature swing from -17C now to +16C by Monday!

Edited by Spindrift2017
  • Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

Not that it stops it from being a stunning image, but it’s actually Lake Michigan in the foreground (a freshwater lake the size of Wales!) 

Weather in the American Midwest can be pretty extreme. The polar air can travel down there across thousands of miles of land without warming up the way it does when it crosses the open sea.  The Great Lakes produce lake effect snow by convection in the same way that the North Sea (occasionally) does for us during an easterly.

Some of the temperature swings can be pretty crazy as warm air from the Gulf of Mexico can make its way northwards.  St. Louis, Missouri is forecast to have a temperature swing from -17C now to +16C by Monday!

Yep, I realised my mistake about 20 mins after I posted when it dawned on me that Chicago is nowhere near a coast lol. 

The lake effect snow that buffalo got a year or 2 ago from the Great Lakes was utterly insane, can't remember what year it was but there's some amazing photos where it shows the true meaning on snow machine 

EDIT

Was actually 2014, can't believe it was that long ago but here's some of the photos, the true image of lake effect snow. It's literally being lifted and laid like a conveyor belt. They actually received 7 inches of snow in 30 mins which they claim is an unofficial record. 

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
3 hours ago, Huntforsnow said:

Sunday may be interesting for some

Yes hopefully we can see a big snow event  on Sunday before it turns milder next week.

DF749EBB-F34E-44D7-9C43-A72FA4F8DE2F.thumb.png.dbe3d2ca5a1758f0044c7d351ff91d11.png

Some great pictures and posts in here tonight

• Like 6

Posted

It's -6c here and -8c at the Airport! Beautiful morning!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It will just be typical if we get snow on Sunday and then it all melts away Monday as it turns milder

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

-4c in Dundee this morning. Great work by @Kirkcaldy Weather Must say I’m not expecting anything significant for us east coasties tonight/tomorrow. I think the most we can hope for is a light covering....though I would take that of course! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all 

-3c here in Gourock so inland must be proper baltic!

Aviemore is currently a bit chilly! 

56C67CB7-DA89-4D99-A3B1-19A904D892FD.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

IMG_1600.PNG

That is a proper day after tomorrow picture!!

• Like 7

Posted

Currently - 9.8c, coldest here for a long long time.  Another cracking day in the making. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)

-11.5C leaving Aboyne for work this morning. Hoping the Lecht or Glenshee get a wee top up soon to kick off the skiing season properly. Snow cover still looking thin at higher altitudes on the East side of the Cairngorms. 

• Like 7