Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Chillier overnight with a low of -5.4C. Another snaw flurry, too. Could just about count the individual flakes again. We've missed out during this current spell - so far - but it ain't over yet. A braw and bricht winter's morn. Great to see so many snaw snaps from fellow kilters.  

• Like 6

Posted
54 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Great charts...for western and central parts. I am probably too far east to get much from that.

According to some sources (Met-O and Euro4) I may get some snow tomorrow night into Friday, so there's hope yet. I detect an outbreak of GOS on my part (Grumpy Old Sod), it's amplified up to an 8 now.

Us Easties have a Yellow 'disappointment' warning for Thursday into Friday - backing up the charts you mentioned. 1-3 cms is not the easterly driven snowmageddon we all crave but I'll take anything at this point too  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Been a strange one this don't you think?   Not even so much as a rollercoaster ride for Scotland so far,  which in itself is strange. 

I have surprised myself with my reaction to it too.  Nae toys oot o' ra pram yet!   

06z seems to be stirring the interest of a possible easterly on the MT this morning (again) though.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Mr Heron doesn't look too happy with the ice!

I did not recognise it as a Heron because of how hunched he was.....will throw him some food if he is still there on the way home

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

oh and im preparing the toys for launch if I do not soon see some snaw……. may need to head to the glenshee  at this rate

I always promise the kids if the snaw wont come to us we shall go to it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Can someone point me to the charts the latest MetO weather warning is based on, for easterly areas Thu into Fri. I've had a quick scan of the usual models and I just can't see where they are getting snow from. They are the experts though, but their own app has it virtually cloudless and cold at the time, no hint of a snow symbol. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Can someone point me to the charts the latest MetO weather warning is based on, for easterly areas Thu into Fri. I've had a quick scan of the usual models and I just can't see where they are getting snow from. They are the experts though, but their own app has it virtually cloudless and cold at the time, no hint of a snow symbol. 

Yes same here. Warning says 1-3cm and covers my area but the daily forecast doesn’t have a single snowflake in it. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Wow, it was only -5C when I left the house at 7:30am, and varied between -3 and -6C on the commute. Variable depths of new snow on the way, with a bigger fall in Fochabers (maybe 2-3cm) than at home for a change. 

The picture was taken just before the Whitehouse junction, which is a few minutes away from the house. It's a notorious local cold spot, given its one of the lowest points in the Valley. Once the cold gets in, it's difficult to shift. I think we might see lower temperatures  over night.

Slight improvement form early on this morning:

20190130_104202.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, edo said:

oh and im preparing the toys for launch if I do not soon see some snaw……. may need to head to the glenshee  at this rate

I always promise the kids if the snaw wont come to us we shall go to it

I felt for my kids this morning! My missus opened the curtains and shouted "It's snowed overnight" without correctly assessing the actual conditions on the ground! The kids got dead excited and I'm running back upstairs muttering "Bloody hell dear. It's a wibbleing millimeter deep!" She leaves for work and I'm stuck with 3 kids gutted at the reality of the situation  

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Great charts...for western and central parts. I am probably too far east to get much from that.

According to some sources (Met-O and Euro4) I may get some snow tomorrow night into Friday, so there's hope yet. I detect an outbreak of GOS on my part (Grumpy Old Sod), it's amplified up to an 8 now.

Is your snow coming in from the NE on Thursday night?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Good to see all the snow pictures!

Although I got the lightest dusting in history...it’s not too bad when you can open yer window blinds to this view! 

Beinn Mhòr is on the far right and Sgorach Mor is the far left.

C27D92D0-91B4-47D9-8769-30A36C2C8AE8.jpeg

41BFE3BB-1750-470B-94CD-B27C70250438.png

C5CF8B1C-71F5-48F2-997C-F7BD2C511441.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Hmm, yeah. My phone keeps buzzing with random MO warnings which bear no relation to reality. It's crap.

On the other hand, the French Meteo app is at least fun - users can - and do - upload their weather photos and reports, so it's a good crowdsource. I use it but I think I'm the only Scot that does! (wonder why )

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Meanwhile over in the banter thread its been declared that winter is 1st December to 31st February. yes indeed..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , blizzards and proper winter weather

Further snowfalls last night helped to stop temps dropping below -4.4 at 8pm. Further snow showers spreading down Loch Shin now.

DSC_0367.JPG

DSC_0369.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
56 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Meanwhile over in the banter thread its been declared that winter is 1st December to 31st February. yes indeed..

Are you related to @MoreSnow   

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office have finally dropped the very cold Easterly conditions in their 16-30 day forecast,,,,about time since they have been going on about it since Christmas.

shows you how inaccurate and nonsense these forecasts are

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Good to see the polar low delivered for some areas cos it didny here just a frost but a lovely sunny day today.

Kirkcaldy included in a snow warning tenor.gif 

2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

2 hours ago, Snowlover2 said:

Yes same here. Warning says 1-3cm and covers my area but the daily forecast doesn’t have a single snowflake in it. 

looking at the further details tab from the Met office it says

Further details

Showers will develop during Thursday night and continue into Friday morning falling as a mixture of rain, sleet and snow. Snow accumulations of 1-3 cm are possible in places by Friday morning. Ice is likely to form on some untreated surfaces.

and looking at the fax charts it looks like there will be a couple of fronts off the east coast / in the north sea perhaps helping to pep up the showers and bring them in on the NE flow 20190130.0502.PPVI89.png 20190130.0555.PPVJ89.png weekend not without interest either troughs and some lower pressure / fronts possibly feeding down from the north 20190130.0555.PPVK89.png  

tbh at this stage I will take the 1cm :oldrofl:

also some hints at a scandi high in the mid - longer term 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Met Office have finally dropped the very cold Easterly conditions in their 16-30 day forecast,,,,about time since they have been going on about it since Christmas.

shows you how inaccurate and nonsense these forecasts are

Those long range forecasts are no such thing - they're just what sometimes happens at that time of year. No-one has a secret crystal ball.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
5 hours ago, edo said:

The pethshire snow drought continues.... the beautiful picturesque lade is frozen though..... and i seen a bird not seen before just chilling out

20190130_084944.jpg

20190130_085328.jpg

Looks as if 101 was right Edo.......(though I don't like admitting it!) :whistling:  The bird in the pic below was taken in St. Andrews yesterday and was identified as a grey heron.   Looks similar.

_105234345_44413f1b-6831-40b7-9bac-376a1a38d83d.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Looks as if 101 was right Edo.......(though I don't like admitting it!) :whistling:  The bird in the pic below was taken in St. Andrews yesterday and was identified as a grey heron.   Looks similar.

_105234345_44413f1b-6831-40b7-9bac-376a1a38d83d.jpg

Look similar but Edo's Heron has clearly had a rough paper round! 

(and thanks - I've kinda missed your banter this winter so far )

• Like 1