Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Looks like some big showers appearing on the radar out west.. i get the feeling some lucky folk in here are gonna get smashed today and tonight. has the polar low started forming yet or is it a bit early still?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Oh and when I inadvertently startled that pair of red grouse....clearly I'd interrupted one of them giving the other a lesson on what the jetstream is doing.

P1020949.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Oh and when I inadvertently startled that pair of red grouse....clearly I'd interrupted one of them giving the other a lesson on what the jetstream is doing.

P1020949.jpg

snaw.thumb.jpg.6c70294b181fc61ea1845c14f616f0ca.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy snow when I left the house this morning down to around 100 metres. 

Now bright and sunny at work in Greenock. Not really the day I was expecting. Not seeing too much on the radar for south of the central belt. The current big blob I think will be north of here. 

Not quite the day I was expecting as I thought much more frequent showers.

IMG_5153.thumb.JPG.7d023979c67b95fa9c916b14e0b17310.JPG

• Like 5

Posted

Current blob looks like it will affect anywhere from Ayr northwards going by the radar sequence. Let's hope it maintains its Intensity and that it is of snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

InbornBruisedHalibut-max-1mb.gif  

Looks like the blob to my west is breaking up and will miss me. Ayrshire looks like getting a good dumping, if it falls as snow that is.

0C6F8ED1-16D2-4CE7-8B6A-1E483E880DD8.thumb.gif.5960991efeaee5875cbc882cb174d70d.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Overcast and calm for most of the day, skies clearing in the last hour or so - its going to be a cold one tonight for sure, already -1C outside.

No top up of snow since Sunday night but everything still looking nice and wintry, even though snow now mainly gone off the trees at this altitude.

Snag_1a5eea6.thumb.png.3de2eed84115d39ba6ee09a97c5e3506.png

130035001.thumb.jpg.32eb3da1f8ddc03970737b5f74f455a2.jpg

Snag_1ac4e4d.thumb.png.4dde836b38438879b76852dd6e5d27f9.png

Snag_1acacf7.thumb.png.02f2785b1c76252805f5a268bb5e7831.png

• Like 8

Posted

Fine winters day here too with blue skies and  colourful snow shower clouds all around the horizon especially to the north and west.We had the merest of dustings overnight and -3c first thing this morning. Never got above 0c today so frost digging in. Certainly feels like proper winter now.  Still get the feeling that the seasons are running 4 to 6 weeks behind.

See in the model thread that they are bemoaning the lack of an easterly,well we are approaching the season when east and north winds are at their most frequent and can still pack a punch right up to early May especially up here. We still have another three months or so for disruptive snow and as my mother used to say without any scentific background "As the days lengthen so the cold strengthens."  As for the farm we always plan for a seven month winter for the livestock.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

A wee bit of a dusting here this morning it was quite wet slippy snaw,  even though it couldn't have been any deeper than 1/2" I saw some nugget who managed to loose control of their car in a straight line spin and hit the verge...incredible..!!!

It seems its the US to blame for soaking up the cold -27deg/C in Chicago...that's chilly.

The East Coast is not doing well this winter the wind keeps blowing from all the wrong directions for us to get proper snaw and the Beeb weather said is to get mild again for a bit...what's going on.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Zenarcher said:

The snow has arrived here on Barra today it's still mainly on the hills with a light dusting at lowe levels. These are photos I took this afternoon. In the last hour, it's started snowing again.

Awesome ! Last time I was in Castlebay was a week before the indy ref while on a cycle tour. Heaval is a great wee hill.

Edited by moffatross

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

A tiny wee blip on the radar gave a fair good covering at my location here in Bargaddie to the east of Glasgow. Was very surprised at how much snow fell and landed too, has given me some hope for later tonight and into the morning!

• Like 1

Posted

The last thing I was expecting to wake up to this morning was rain. It was already 1 degree outside when I went to bed and frosty. I got woken up by the lashing rain during the night, and this morning it was pouring down. 

It just doesn't want to snow this winter. The outlook is very grim too. Nothing more this week for edinburgh by the looks of it :( 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

looks like a good supply of showers streaming in from the west https://en.sat24.com/en seems to be a bit more of a NW element to the flow ATM so probably less favourable for any showers to make it very far east p1548783505.gif looks like the wind may go back toward the west later so if the showers keep going a chance of areas further east maybe coming back into play p15488064002912.gif p15488280002912.gif  @Stormeh radar looks good for Glasgow to see something soon 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Looks like Ayrshire will be the snow hotspot again tonight - showers seem to come through perfectly aligned for me then at the last minute break up or dive just South! 

Hopefully get a wee dusting here later!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

The caravan site at Cannich has/had Glamping pods and I'm sure it's open all year. Should be cold there too. 

As expected from a westerly flow, nothing more at home overnight other than a frost. It was around -2/3C at 7:30am and pretty much below freezing all the way to Fochabers. 

Nice to see others getting in on the snow action. Been anything 'doon sooth' yet, as I don't dare check the banter thread just in case? 

Coldish at Cannich but above freezing and not very snowy at all. I was there today and was surprised - when the Highlands gets snowy, Cannich is usually one of the best, but not this time.

• Like 2