Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
7 hours ago, ciel said:

I'll probably be shot down for this post, but while I think research into global teleconnection is a good advancement in understanding the weather, I dislike the esoteric manner of some of the inponderable  posts from the teleconnection folk.

you would fit right in with them as i needed the thesaurus for your post aswell

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 hours ago, ciel said:

I'll probably be shot down for this post, but while I think research into global teleconnection is a good advancement in understanding the weather, I dislike the esoteric manner of some of the inponderable  posts from the teleconnection folk.

I missed this earlier, now @edo has quoted it; I agree entirely. Science is all about communicating new ideas and I find most posts totally impenetrable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
39 minutes ago, Keyring said:

A better thread to ask in I feel...

Do we have any models showing the potential for some large amounts of snow yet? Or is it still a take each day as it comes and see what comes up on the models...❄️☃️

The latter unfortunately.

The models seem to have been forming a habit of teasing, then snatching away the last few weeks. For that reason I'm no longer believing anything beyond 3 days until further notice. That's just as well since beyond 3 days doesn't look terribly interesting if its widespread heavy snow you are after. Plenty of cold, but snow probably localised and fleeting. 

Met Office must be seeing something we can't if thier long-range forecasts are to be believed, so be patient and pray. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

The latter unfortunately.

The models seem to have been forming a habit of teasing, then snatching away the last few weeks. For that reason I'm no longer believing anything beyond 3 days until further notice. That's just as well since beyond 3 days doesn't look terribly interesting if its widespread heavy snow you are after. Plenty of cold, but snow probably localised and fleeting. 

Met Office must be seeing something we can't if thier long-range forecasts are to be believed, so be patient and pray. 

Thanks for the reply, I thought that may be the case, I get the horrible feeling I’m going to miss any large snow events for us... only home from Wednesday until the 13th then back to work till either the 27th of feb or the 6th of March. Which by then, we’ll have no doubt had the event, if any!  But I guess time will tell.... just hoping I get lucky!

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Various models still throwing out interest for the western half of the central belt and south west Scotland Monday night through to Tuesday afternoon. Still difficult to call, definitely down to watching the radar I think.

For the end of the week, very up in the air, corrections in all directions at the moment. 

Couple more charts showing it is fair game anywhere across the country. Tues am particularly, looks tasty for the central belt including Glasgow city...

viewimage (2).png

viewimage (3).png

• Like 7

Posted

Whilst the models have been all over the place with the positioning of weather fronts  they have consistently shown snow for the west and a decent portion of the central belt for Tuesday. I've been tracking it for at least the last 7 days as I've got something on. Hope everyone sees some snow this week, lots of potential. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6

Posted

I have to say there has been some stunning photos posted in the last week. Keep up the good work everyone!

What I'm about to post are not photos but images taken from my commute via a recently purchased GoPro camera. Bought after 15 years of commuting and the increasing amount of shocking driving have brought me to this decision. Personally I look at other cyclists who mount cameras on their helmet and I think (apologies if anyone does this...) it doesn't look great and probably gets drivers back up a bit. Decided to mount it on my handlebars which is which is less conspicuous. Sometimes I think motorists see a cyclist and assume that is there one mode of transport. I also own a car, motorbike and drive Mercedes Splitter vans as part of my job. Funnily enough when on the motorbike I receive no abuse from motorists as they assume we are all bonkers! Rant over!

Thankfully I wasn't cycling on Tuesday when the snow hit but Wednesday and more so Thursday were hairy to see the least. First photo (Thursday) is from The White Bridge in Linn Park which was so icy I could have skated over it. Walked and held the railings. Next one is from the new the Fernhill bypass road. I usually cycle uphill on the pavement but it was treacherous! Last one was from the Glasgow Road on the outskirts of East Kilbride when I noticed the inversion over Glasgow. If you squint you can see the Campsies above clouds.

Looking forward to an interesting week weather wise for all of us. If I don't see some snow then it probably means somewhere else is getting it so enjoy if you get some. Please don't give me anymore black ice!

GH010011.jpg

GH030011.jpg

GH060012.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Just looked outside and it's snowing again. It's even sticking this time so we have a covering again at last.

Now if it'd only been a couple of degrees colder, and the substantial mixed mess that's actually fallen from the sky today in a strong wind had all been dry snow, and had all accumulated, it'd have been an utterly epic day. As it was, close, but no banana. 

Then again, I have had lying snow for quite a while this winter, albeit rather thin, so I really shouldn't complain. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
16 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Just looked outside and it's snowing again. It's even sticking this time so we have a covering again at last.

Now if it'd only been a couple of degrees colder, and the substantial mixed mess that's actually fallen from the sky today in a strong wind had all been dry snow, and had all accumulated, it'd have been an utterly epic day. As it was, close, but no banana. 

Then again, I have had lying snow for quite a while this winter, albeit rather thin, so I really shouldn't complain. 

There is a banter thread for this kind of post...

Posted
13 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

There is a banter thread for this kind of post...

I'd rather open up one of our beehives in mid summer (max population) with no bee suit on than post that I've got snow in the banter thread.  

Posted
2 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Plenty winter remains to bite us in the erse folks, there was plenty around today! (dunno why the vid seems to have uploaded HUGE) about 12cms cover. -1c

Where about in the highlands is this? 

Posted

Cold and frosty at -2c. Latest Met Office update really holds little interest for the Lothians - suggesting it'll remain mostly dry all week with just an occasional sleet or snow shower. BBC forecast shows some sleet. Checking  the charts hasn't raised my excitement levels much either! I hope the reality is different but I'm starting to suspect this week could be quite disappointing!

Still - looking cold and dry. An odd winter but better than mild, rain and gales I guess

P.S. Not giving up. Dreaming of a Feb, Mar and April even just half as good as last year!!!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 hours ago, mardatha said:

Where is MORE SNOW? Is he missing this?

he had a couple of evenings of exciteable musings in the MT and seemed to delete his account 

or he may be shaking in a corner someplace as we keep seem to be missing from any predicted areas for snow

hooefully hes ok and will return at the first sign of snow on the ground 

• Like 3

Posted

And everything is back to white.

Snow started after dark yesterday and its snowing at present. Around the house there's a few centimetres but the hills, where I'm heading, looks much deeper.

View looking south over the vale of Alford.

20190128_075249[3].jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 9

Posted
33 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Cold and frosty at -2c. Latest Met Office update really holds little interest for the Lothians - suggesting it'll remain mostly dry all week with just an occasional sleet or snow shower. BBC forecast shows some sleet. Checking  the charts hasn't raised my excitement levels much either! I hope the reality is different but I'm starting to suspect this week could be quite disappointing!

Still - looking cold and dry. An odd winter but better than mild, rain and gales I guess

P.S. Not giving up. Dreaming of a Feb, Mar and April even just half as good as last year!!!

Friday could potentially be interesting. GFS and GFS P showing heavy snow between Friday and Saturday

126-574UK.gif

138-780UK.gif

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all.   Pleasant surprise of about a cm of snow this am.   Don't think we will see more snow this week over on the east coast.     Could be interesting for folk further west though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I have always found Loch Morlich a magical place everytime I have been up there or simply looking at the webcam.

More especially in Winter - stunning this morning. ❄️

D5C5C87C-C612-4E75-A300-0F9FFD21A55C.png

• Like 4

Posted

At last, some snow - all 1cm of lovely powder.

Not enough to cause much disruption but enough to make everything look proper winter like 

Dead calm outside, -1c and sunny so a nice winters walk coming up.

For here though the Met office is not very inspiring for the rest of the week, no sign of any more snow if their app is to be believed.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 4

Posted

-6.5C driving in. No snow by us but sparkly! A week of a few surprises coming-up me thinks.

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2&runpara=1

The GFSp is quite tasty for the SE of Scotland. I am sailing in the good ship Sceptical alongside you but you never know. 

Maybe once it's within a reliable timeframe I'll allow my excitement to cut loose Until then it's a cracking cold, frosty morning - and a few more to come

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, well! Looks ever likely that I could be seeing some white stuff tomorrow! Forecasts vary, one says snow, one says sleet, so if I deploy my reverse psychology and say we'll only get sleet........❄❄❄

Currently 2.1c and overcast. Perhaps this time tomorrow it'll be all white ( or not! ).

• Like 4