Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Not a cloud in the sky here today. Cold with a stiff breeze. 

IMG_5150.thumb.JPG.40b87541ecf22da6aaecc52117a0badf.JPG

The next two or three days could be good for us here in the west, particularly with any embedded features in the flow. Always a bit hit and miss with showers though. 

Thursday into Friday looks interesting. I am sure it will correct north and south a few times in the next couple of days but I'd like too see it about 50 miles further north west over what is shown on the charts currently @Ruzzi

I remember the event late Feb 2001. I was at uni in Dundee and went from Glasgow to Dundee on the train just before the worst hit. The Kilmarnock to Glasgow train got stuck in a drift about a mile down the line to where I live now.

• Like 5

Posted

Not sure I can be bothered even thinking about Thursday/Friday - on Sunday! Too far out. Might see a few snow showers before then but short term (next few days) the forecast is still a bit meh for snow! Plenty of dry weather around so can't grumble too much.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Not sure I can be bothered even thinking about Thursday/Friday - on Sunday! Too far out. Might see a few snow showers before then but short term (next few days) the forecast is still a bit meh for snow! Plenty of dry weather around so can't grumble too much.

I won't complain too much either, sunny and cold is still a lot better than mild, grey and wet. 

• Like 3

Posted

Definitely a lazy Sunday type of day here.. thoroughly miserable looking outside.  Just had a sleety/hail heavy shower that was stotting off the windows..   winter appears to be over with temps into double figures early Feb if the MT banter thread is to be believed.  I may see a bit of snow tonight but temps will have to start dropping soon. Is currently 6 degrees here. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Richard Taylor said:

So has the SSW that occurred at the end of 2018 produced any response weather-wise? Or was it just all talk, little action?

SSW has been good for the States this time round,,they are seeing serious bitter temperatures which unfortunately doesn’t help us across this side of the pond,,,we are going to see a active Atlantic, still better than the mild boring winter we have seen so far,,,,a bit of cold zonal will do

Posted
15 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

So has the SSW that occurred at the end of 2018 produced any response weather-wise? Or was it just all talk, little action?

All fart and no dung so far!

Posted
28 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

SSW has been good for the States this time round,,they are seeing serious bitter temperatures which unfortunately doesn’t help us across this side of the pond,,,we are going to see a active Atlantic, still better than the mild boring winter we have seen so far,,,,a bit of cold zonal will do

I'll probably be shot down for this post, but while I think research into global teleconnection is a good advancement in understanding the weather, I dislike the esoteric manner of some of the inponderable  posts from the teleconnection folk.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Very nice update for the long range from the Met Office. they obviously dont follow the model output thread very closely..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Below in order are some of my favourite Cairngorm mountain webcam current pictures...the best views you can get! Total whiteout!!! Yaaaaaaassssss! ❄️

Lower slopes 

Fiacaill Ridge 

Loch Morlich 

Lower car park 

Ptarmigan restaurant

344CC032-9097-4F54-A658-3778F55569F8.png

00B8BA83-BDE2-43D5-B25D-E729EAB2123B.png

47ADE3A0-C471-49F9-809E-092BB2B31054.png

67FE679E-DC46-4616-800B-E866E93B2A15.png

0D949A1B-F9D9-4F0D-958B-C3AAD54698CF.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

Posted

Cows went out OK to their neeps but I was wading in 6 inches of mud shifting electric fence beforehand. After bedding their fold I went back for them and they ran back head on into a strong  north wind with soft hail falling .Wind chill pretty high with a temperature of 1.5c just now.   Im  in for the afternoon now just  to go out to feed them again in the late afternoon in the steading. 

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Good to see the Met Office sticking to their guns and that the big cauld and snaw will arrive eventually (probably). Bit of a theme this winter, in that its arrival has kept on being pushed further and further back and now well into Feb. We should see some cold and snow shots this week up here but this winter is still very much average to below average for cauld and snaw at this stage. 

The current iteration of the north wind that's on the go today would scythe through walls - it's brutal. Hills to the north had a slight dusting of the white stuff overnight, but nothing special. Currently 3.4C/-3C. 

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
14 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

The current iteration of the north wind that's on the go today would scythe through walls - it's brutal. 

Gawd I couldn't believe it when I stepped outside, rounded the house and got hit by that wind. I ran back inside and grabbed another layer!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, 101_North said:

All fart and no dung so far!

Thanks for that metaphor to go with my afternoon chocolate biscuit...

Bitter wind (qv) this afternoon, went for a non-photogenic walk and kept hat, gloves and snood all the time I was out.

(obvs also had trous, coat etc. gawd. some people are so bloody literal!)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The euro4 looking pretty good for parts of the central belt on Tuesday 

56F155B8-34A6-4C8B-8535-07F4C375316C.thumb.gif.32fbd5f3e8ad6d634c5b3d12e44a8f04.gif

C8FEDE75-0ABB-4E20-813A-4E6F4EA294AF.thumb.gif.cbff0f93a59aa4593eefcc7f73e46580.gif

D1E64711-3C2B-49F3-8829-788174BA23F8.thumb.gif.fa992920957d2ad9598ac0a9b54fcb9c.gif

9E0CC1D0-2966-4BCB-AE9A-4A5C697492C7.thumb.gif.26a7778f2c63b118329a19fab38eec70.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Highland Blizzard said:

Strange weather here sleety rain and at times snow but general slow thaw before temperatures finally dropping this afternoon with snow setting in. First picture shows plenty of water funnelling down Achness Waterfall followed  a snowy deer by the river in Glen Cassely and then an increasingly snowy drive back to Rheanbreck.  Bitter Northerly has eased though.

DSC_0606.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

You should pop this post into the banter thread.. 

• Like 3

Posted

And on the subject of the banter thread i cant wait till we get a big snow event forecast up here and nowt happening south of the border, i say when it happens we should all go in there and turn it into the scotland banter thread lol...

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

And on the subject of the banter thread i cant wait till we get a big snow event forecast up here and nowt happening south of the border, i say when it happens we should all go in there and turn it into the scotland banter thread lol...

I Agree

• Like 1

Posted

A better thread to ask in I feel...

Do we have any models showing the potential for some large amounts of snow yet? Or is it still a take each day as it comes and see what comes up on the models...❄️☃️

Posted

Various models still throwing out interest for the western half of the central belt and south west Scotland Monday night through to Tuesday afternoon. Still difficult to call, definitely down to watching the radar I think.

For the end of the week, very up in the air, corrections in all directions at the moment. 

IMG_1544.PNG

IMG_1546.PNG

IMG_1547.PNG

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Highland Blizzard said:

Strange weather here sleety rain and at times snow but general slow thaw before temperatures finally dropping this afternoon with snow setting in. First picture shows plenty of water funnelling down Achness Waterfall followed  a snowy deer by the river in Glen Cassely and then an increasingly snowy drive back to Rheanbreck.  Bitter Northerly has eased though.

DSC_0606.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

What a stunningly beautiful country we live in. 

• Like 8