Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
16 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Meh! Can't see anything that's getting me too excited in the charts and forecasts for next week for my area although I hope I'm wrong. Some areas could do very well, especially inland, but I fear it's all too marginal for here. Too far east, too close to the coast etc. etc. Could all change though  

Being a fellow Eastie, I feel your fear.  But I think there's enough potential in those few days between Sunday and (erm later in the week) to get a bit optimistic.  We have 2 shots at a north-easterly which is good enough.

edit... have to say on looking at the charts now, it doesn't look as promising as it did last night 

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Being a fellow Eastie, I feel your fear.  But I think there's enough potential in those few days between Sunday and (erm later in the week) to get a bit optimistic.  We have 2 shots at a north-easterly which is good enough.

True! I'll take my chances with a NE'ly so fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Before and after picture...yesterday and today...snow at over 600 meters has vanished! ☹️

DIRTY MILD TEMPERATURE SNOW STEALING OVERNIGHT RAIN B#####D!!!!!!! 

814CF400-3A27-4B39-95BC-7E2BAE4B7E78.jpeg

9BBA5F83-3C62-4906-9BF2-20BB7FA62EA8.jpeg

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Mr Frost - that's not a bad view all the same! 

Aye it’s alright - but it won’t be as good as the snowy view you will be getting over the next few days! 

Posted
35 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Meh! Can't see anything that's getting me too excited in the charts and forecasts for next week for my area although I hope I'm wrong. Some areas could do very well, especially inland, but I fear it's all too marginal for here. Too far east, too close to the coast etc. etc. Could all change though  

Not the best charts for us, but it will be cold enough for snow with plenty of sharp showers moving in briskly from the north-west. If currents are strong enough, we could easily be seeing snow showers even here, some potentially heavy. We're not in the best position, but it'll have to do as an easterly is looking extremely unlikely. 

Do you remember last January 16th? There could well be a repeat next week. Charts were showing almost no snowfall in the Edinburgh area, yet we had blizzard conditions for most of the day

gfs-1-12.png

gfs-2-12.png

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely day outside, sunny and feeling mild.

On a short break from stacking logs and noticed yellow warnings from the Met for parts of Scotland. Snow and Ice Saturday and Sunday apparently.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Do you remember last January 16th? There could well be a repeat next week. Charts were showing almost no snowfall in the Edinburgh area, yet we had blizzard conditions for most of the day.

I remember it well. Ended up with a good few inches by early evening. Fingers crossed for a repeat. To be fair last year, post Christmas, was exceptional up here. So many snowfalls and some memorable ones.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
39 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Before and after picture...yesterday and today...snow at over 600 meters has vanished! ☹️

DIRTY MILD TEMPERATURE SNOW STEALING OVERNIGHT RAIN B#####D!!!!!!! 

814CF400-3A27-4B39-95BC-7E2BAE4B7E78.jpeg

9BBA5F83-3C62-4906-9BF2-20BB7FA62EA8.jpeg

Aww, shame  Sadly just goes to show how 'cosmetic' last week's snow was.

• Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Aww, shame  Sadly just goes to show how 'cosmetic' last week's snow was.

'Cosmetic'... it's mountaineering usage, so the snow is not consolidated and will wash away very quickly. I used to use the word too, but since my interest in snowy mountains has changed from being an active winter walker to mostly appreciating the aesthetics (for photography partly), I've noticed that having mountains totally plastered in good usable snow isn't as pleasing often as ones with a thin and variable cover where the shapes are highlighted by the black and white contrasts.

It's me that's changed, nothing else.... (hmm, the joys of turning into an old fart!)

• Like 7

Posted
45 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

'Cosmetic'... it's mountaineering usage, so the snow is not consolidated and will wash away very quickly. I used to use the word too, but since my interest in snowy mountains has changed from being an active winter walker to mostly appreciating the aesthetics (for photography partly), I've noticed that having mountains totally plastered in good usable snow isn't as pleasing often as ones with a thin and variable cover where the shapes are highlighted by the black and white contrasts.

It's me that's changed, nothing else.... (hmm, the joys of turning into an old fart!)

Thanks for that, got me thinking

I think those first light dustings in autumn are the most photogenic as they tend to end with a clearly traceable line along a contour, which allows for the reds and the browns to come through between the glen and the snow line and, like you say, highlight the relief of the hillside (see pics of Beinn Ghlas, the Bealach na Ba and Coigach).

Can't beat a massive snowy arete borne of relentless storms though. That winter of 13/14, while giving hardly any walkable days, certainly left quite the spectacle (see very snowy pic of Sgurr Choinnich Mor)

BTW - How do you choose how to insert piccies into the body of the text? Didn't there used to be a kind of 'insert here' option or am I just going senile?

DSC00860.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 9

Posted
2 hours ago, Benvironment said:

BTW - How do you choose how to insert piccies into the body of the text?

The method I use is first to upload all the pics to be inserted in any particular post and leave them in the "choose file" box. Then during typing the text click the + on the uploaded pic in the space in which you wish it to show. Alternatively type all your text and then use the cursor to click in the appropriate place, then insert the pic.

Hope that's clear ??

Edited by ciel
  • Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, ciel said:

The method I use is first to upload all the pics to be inserted in any particular post and leave them in the "choose file" box. Then during typing the text click the + on the uploaded pic in the space in which you wish it to show. Alternatively type all your text and then use the cursor to click in the appropriate place, then insert the pic.

Hope that's clear ??

Oooooooh.........okay let me try inserting a pic here......

IMG_1977.thumb.jpg.e6b1b87f6d2fc55f405dcee3f3e6c361.jpg

......using the method you suggest. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Having a nice day in Edinburgh, very mild. Seen this wee friendly robin while walking in the park.

85850C1B-C0E5-483B-A9FE-61013B01AA65.thumb.jpeg.0c0f369e6d0e8b650b364e58ef5d9f88.jpeg

No time to check the models, hopefully it’s still looking good for next week.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Having a nice day in Edinburgh, very mild. Seen this wee friendly robin while walking in the park.

85850C1B-C0E5-483B-A9FE-61013B01AA65.thumb.jpeg.0c0f369e6d0e8b650b364e58ef5d9f88.jpeg

No time to check the models, hopefully it’s still looking good for next week.

Don't be fooled! I've seen him around. Can't be trusted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Still patches of snow clinging to life here where it's either sheltered from the sun, or been lying deeper. I doubt there'll be much, if any, survives through tomorrow, especially if it rains heavily as forecast. Not been too warm here, 5C when I got home at 2:30pm, so hopefully when the rain does come it'll be snow at the ski resorts.

• Like 3

Posted

Neep field really gloopy with frost coming out  when shifting electric fence for cows today but it has been a mostly dry and breezy day .One observation in neep field was the huge  number of badger scrapes.It appears they are after the nests of mice ecpecially as they usually contain grain they have collected to store. Currently 7c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Wow some of the stuff being posted in the mad house thread today is unreal. its been so very entertaining.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Wow some of the stuff being posted in the mad house thread today is unreal. its been so very entertaining.

You looking to get sent to Coventry again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

You looking to get sent to Coventry again?

Still not able to post in there but just reading the stuff in there today has been enough for me..

• Like 1

Posted

Yellow warning for Snow and ice now in North of Scotland.  Saturday night into Sunday.

Edited by howham
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Don't be fooled! I've seen him around. Can't be trusted!

Doesn't look like he's toilet trained either. Bloody disgrace. I'll send the butcher (him to the left) round.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
44 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Ecmwf is awful, even for us. Way too mild for snow

At least there is  a chance of getting some kind of weather.

What a strange winter it has been hardly any rain here in west stirlingshire hardly any wind a couple of skiffs of snow some frosts and even a few sunny days probably about the most boring winter I can remember SO FAR.

Loved the photo from the top of Ben venue @bienviroment the other day