Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

https://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

My nearest raingauge has registered 7.5mm of rain in the last 4 weeks. You will have been quite similar I think? Someone has switched the weather off. It wasn't this dry in the dry spell in May/June. 

Yep - my nearest has registered 7mm since 28th December! Nice to get some dry weather I guess but it's so nondescript!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cold (not quite frosty) and grey here this morning.  There's still patchy and very thin snow lying in the garden so I'm sure most of the Highlands will still be white and getting whiter soon.  The forecast for this week is cold and er not much else for here...

It's been very dry here too and I remember some of the burns in Caithness in the summer had pretty well no flow from June to mid August. Late September into October was wetter but it's been generally dry since.

• Like 3

Posted

As expected, Met Office issue yellow warnings for snow and ice for large parts of Scotland.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2019-01-21

Latest update from MWIS:

PLANNING OUTLOOK

All mountain areas of Britain from Tuesday 22nd January 2019

The colder conditions will continue across the mountains over the next week or fortnight - perhaps longer. Mountain temperatures will frequently be sub-freezing, often to lower slopes in Scotland, although from Thursday to Sunday this week, there will be cycles of freeze and thaw Scottish Highlands, whilst elsewhere, summit temperatures will most often be above freezing point. Precipitation wise, there will be further snow, albeit some melting periods later this week. Next week, there may well be extensive fresh snowfall, substantial in some areas.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Euro4 still looking good for the west but I wonder if It is overdoing the snow potential for the Glasgow and Ayshire areas? It is usually quite good in these situations so I hope it is correct

F75099EF-2CA5-429B-BF7B-1792E5CEBB32.thumb.gif.7da6b88858439049c3b95ae3ca6e3a1b.gif

54C68855-6242-475B-B7A9-82901309FD61.thumb.gif.0bae2b5400ff59b08a7ef42ed5116f3c.gif

413C5A65-E554-41C2-BBFB-64FB8FE05ED9.thumb.gif.16073ac23b7c8b5524ce0b023b01c0cb.gif

• Like 2

Wet and windy here today the highest gust being 50mph so far. The Met Office has downgraded my chances of snow for tonight and Tuesday morning it's just saying rain now with some sleet showers. The GFS is still saying light snow tonight but just can't see that happening here.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Glencoe just now 

Can’t wait to go here at the end of February

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

So Alford is in the Yellow Warning area issued by the MetO, yet thier own app has me getting very little precipitation of any kind, just a little sleet early hours Tue. BBC forecast has me getting several hours of sleet late evening, timing doesn't even overlap with MetO. 

Trying to stay upbeat about ongoing snow chances through into Feb but frankly I can't currently see much in the models to get excited about. Best I'm hoping for is snow on the hills so I can get skiing. Undoubtedly going to stay on the colder side, but low level snow chances look limited. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
8 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

So Alford is in the Yellow Warning area issued by the MetO, yet thier own app has me getting very little precipitation of any kind, just a little sleet early hours Tue. BBC forecast has me getting several hours of sleet late evening, timing doesn't even overlap with MetO. 

Trying to stay upbeat about ongoing snow chances through into Feb but frankly I can't currently see much in the models to get excited about. Best I'm hoping for is snow on the hills so I can get skiing. Undoubtedly going to stay on the colder side, but low level snow chances look limited. 

Same here for Aboyne although still got a fair snow cover in place from last week and down to -7c this morning when I hit the road for work. Hoping the Lecht gets a good dumping over the next 10 days or so as planning a mornings skiing early Feb. Should be good cover in place by then. Only the magic carpet and Robin open today - shocking. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Sceptical said:

As expected, Met Office issue yellow warnings for snow and ice for large parts of Scotland.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2019-01-21

Latest update from MWIS:

PLANNING OUTLOOK

All mountain areas of Britain from Tuesday 22nd January 2019

The colder conditions will continue across the mountains over the next week or fortnight - perhaps longer. Mountain temperatures will frequently be sub-freezing, often to lower slopes in Scotland, although from Thursday to Sunday this week, there will be cycles of freeze and thaw Scottish Highlands, whilst elsewhere, summit temperatures will most often be above freezing point. Precipitation wise, there will be further snow, albeit some melting periods later this week. Next week, there may well be extensive fresh snowfall, substantial in some areas.

A glimour of hope that I'm going to grab on to... If there's not much forecast for next week around West Lothian, then maybe a few days away in the 4x4 up braemar area snow hunting will be on my plans 

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, Keyring said:

A glimour of hope that I'm going to grab on to... If there's not much forecast for next week around West Lothian, then maybe a few days away in the 4x4 up braemar area snow hunting will be on my plans 

Braemar should do okay for snow this evening.

Blizzards expected for parts of Scotland today above 300 meters.

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Braemar should do okay for snow this evening.

Blizzards expected for parts of Scotland today above 300 meters.

Unfortunately I'm offshore until the 30th so hoping for some once I'm back again, will have a few days away up north if need be 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Keyring said:

Unfortunately I'm offshore until the 30th so hoping for some once I'm back again, will have a few days away up north if need be 

Fingers crossed it starts dumping down soon, at least for the Scottish ski centres.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Seems tae be a bit sleety here at Hillend ski centre. No much prep for now so hard tae tell. 

• Like 4

Posted

Stunningly cold today  with a very strong wind  with a maximum of 4c.Mostly dry and overcast. A lot of the frost came out of the ground.however.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Raining here ☔ ces't la vie 

• Like 1

Posted

Wet rain just now 2.7/2.0C 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

About 4c and heavy rain. If there's been a more typical Glasgow winter's night I aint seen it.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

About 4c and heavy rain. If there's been a more typical Glasgow winter's night I aint seen it.

I'd be happy with heavy rain instead of this calm, dry and cold theme.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
12 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

I'd be happy with heavy rain instead of this calm, dry and cold theme.

Do I have competition for the grumpiness crown?

Cold and dry here. Looking forward to cold and bright tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

5C already in central Edinburgh, temperature has been slowly creeping up in the gusty winds over the past couple of hours. 

Basically, we can forget about seeing snow here. 

I'd be more annoyed if any had been forecast here

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Do I have competition for the grumpiness crown?

Cold and dry here. Looking forward to cold and bright tomorrow.

Ulterior motive, I've 30 Canadian Tsuga trees that could use a proper soaking. 

Loads of rain around the house, loads of snow up on the hills.

Perfect. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Seems tae be a bit sleety here at Hillend ski centre. No much prep for now so hard tae tell. 

I think this wis mair hope than anything. 

#pish 

• Like 1

Posted

Very heavy rain, torrential at times coming home. Surprising amount of water lying on the roads. Not even a hint of sleet at the highest point of my commute which is around 220 metres. 

There are however the first signs of something a bit more sleety at home now. Looks like the cold air is starting to come in a little.

Had this photo come up in a Facebook memory from a year ago today. Hopefully see something this winterIMG_3645.thumb.JPG.87067b6ae6205be72c631e0f370391f7.JPG

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 5