Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Looks like the euro4 is showing a organised band of heavy snow behind the front? Temperatures and dew points dropping below freezing as the front pushes through. 

7FF984CA-DED5-4FE7-B313-32E4F4F9565F.thumb.gif.64de17e913230325ca0c80f23a45d3e4.gif

D7D2E2BB-4485-4ECE-B478-C9E369A416C3.thumb.gif.d3a464c7cbccf821eb00940a671ca33b.gif

3B2F9FFE-4088-4135-A3A8-50B6D7C02072.thumb.gif.4b856e6340c378efc666facd49238ecd.gif

9BA2C9A1-243A-408C-B551-4A1A7971CA1E.thumb.gif.5e5fd120d096a58c82ddfc4efe6c9172.gif

2C5D7B94-F534-4647-A2B3-E978371A4723.thumb.gif.071030b9c274f040c78074f6b4a10437.gif

Looks pretty good @CatchMyDrift?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

The low cloud has finally lifted from the hills/mountains to the North/Northwest of my house for the first time in three days! 

Snowline is about 350 meters - looks like they will have a thicker coat tomorrow night/Tuesday morning! ❄️

2A15D4AD-EF4A-4FBD-95ED-5D79E72ECCC8.jpeg

49F15C3A-C674-4215-9564-94AA403C9325.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

It was cloudy earlier this morning and we had a heavy hail shower at one point. Its cleared up now though nice and sunny. I'm not sure what my chances are for snow tomorrow the GFS is going for snow showers on Monday night into Tuesday morning and the Met Office show's hail and sleet showers so might see something wintry at least.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Unfortunately, looks like the Lothians could be getting just a couple of mm of precipitation, GFS p is showing less than a mm for Edinburgh. Will probably fall as rain too, since temperatures are borderline. Hopefully that front pushes further east with more determination than currently predicted

These setups pretty much always pan out as expected for the Edinburgh area - hee haw! I usually try and remain positive, check charts etc. but this time I think I'll save myself the hassle

• Like 6

Posted

Some information for skiers and snowboarders.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1653938/cairngorm-tows-closed-due-to-health-and-safety-concerns/

Beggars belief these issues were flagged up during 2015 and ignored by the previous resort operator.

Hopefully the weather allows the repair work to be carried out before 8th February.

Queues for Car park T-bar and M1 Poma will be a nightmare this season.

• Like 6

Posted

It’s been a quiet weather day here, with partial cloud cover, so mainly sunny with a breeze from the N or NNW. Temp at the moment is 3C, but the thin snow cover is still hanging on in places.

Nice rippling clouds though.

28857951_ripple06.thumb.jpg.9b926d806f80ccb0bbc3490d4b6ea3c4.jpg105450807_ripple03.thumb.jpg.bf2c1e36e9da99f14cf0d8ba674bfb42.jpg 

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr T said:

Trip a couple of miles along the road to the burn'o'vat today. Scenery is always great there but winter is the best. 

20190120_113304.jpg

20190120_112815.jpg

20190120_113317.jpg

20190120_112720.jpg

Oh, I don't know that location Mr T. Looks really worth a visit.

• Like 3

Posted

After a really dreich morning  a fine sunny afternoon developed. A bit of thawing going on this afternoon but ground still very slippy with about two to three inches of frost  Frost coming down again just now and currently   1c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

These setups pretty much always pan out as expected for the Edinburgh area - hee haw! I usually try and remain positive, check charts etc. but this time I think I'll save myself the hassle

Charts not really improving, very marginal for our area. I'll try and stay positive and keep an eye on the radar tomorrow. Currents are going to be quite strong, so maybe that will help drive the rainfall/snowfall across from the west. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
1 hour ago, ciel said:

Oh, I don't know that location Mr T. Looks really worth a visit.

It's at the Muir of Dinnet National Nature Reserve. Nice walks through forrests with left over huge glacial boulders. The vat was carved out by melt water during the last ice age. There is a small tourist building at the car park that is left open for visitors to enter and read up on all the wildlife and history of the area. Well worth a visit. We're there a good few times a year as only 5min up the road. Great for all ages but entrance to the vat itself requires a little navigation over some rocks that a stream runs through - very icy today. Will head up for some more winter photos when we get our next dump of snow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Mr T said:

It's at the Muir of Dinnet National Nature Reserve. Nice walks through forrests with left over huge glacial boulders. The vat was carved out by melt water during the last ice age. There is a small tourist building at the car park that is left open for visitors to enter and read up on all the wildlife and history of the area. Well worth a visit. We're there a good few times a year as only 5min up the road. Great for all ages but entrance to the vat itself requires a little navigation over some rocks that a stream runs through - very icy today. Will head up for some more winter photos when we get our next dump of snow. 

Those pictures are brilliant - they make winter come real.  Also the NNR looks well worth a visit. Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another couple from near Carrbridge yesterday. A bit self-indulgent, I do like trees. 

Aspen, lovely upswept branches that have bent over at the top - this is quite an old tree (for an aspen, anyway) aspen.thumb.jpg.8753c364e34153f834c7106bdb80dad0.jpg

And a couple of birches, downy on the left and silver on the right (both will be hybrids though!) 930134098_birchjuniper.thumb.jpg.d7397a134085254cd123e88acf8f95a1.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A rare tonking for Glasgow looking a goer.

image.thumb.png.5b7ffdb1fb3cdfbefd88e9a9a41762a2.png

Will it be as good as March 2018?

(I know the answer to that one... nice if it comes off though as I've not seen it forecast elsewhere...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
21 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Will it be as good as March 2018?

(I know the answer to that one... nice if it comes off though as I've not seen it forecast elsewhere...)

Did the convection get all the way across from the East and give you a good dumping then last winter?

Posted
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A rare tonking for Glasgow looking a goer.

The euro4 is usually quite good, hopefully it is correct for tomorrow night and into Tuesday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Did the convection get all the way across from the East and give you a good dumping then last winter?

Oh yes. Feb 28th into March 1st was of the likes not seen since 1987 here IMO... Seemed to be the perfect angle of attack as even places like Kilmarnock saw a fraction of the snow that Glasgow got.

Hoping that chart is correct as we've had little more than flurries here so far this winter.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It certainly did here, I am just south of Glasgow city centre and I couldn’t make it to work for 3 days because of the amount of snow. Hopefully we can get another dumping tomorrow night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Oh yes. Feb 28th into March 1st was of the likes not seen since 1987 here IMO... Seemed to be the perfect angle of attack as even places like Kilmarnock saw a fraction of the snow that Glasgow got.

Hoping that chart is correct as we've had little more than flurries here so far this winter.

Surprised 87 did it for you - wasn't the surface pressure around 1040mb in your location?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Surprised 87 did it for you - wasn't the surface pressure around 1040mb in your location?

High pressure does not matter if the wind is off the North Sea and the uppers are cold enough. The longer sea track picks up more moisture as was the case last year, and in Jan 1987, 1963 and 1947 for example.

In 1987 there was a level 45 cms in Kinross for example.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

this picture is from langside drive 1987 glasgow 

i stayed near Aberdeen at the time and was off school for days, we had powercuts and thundersnow.... 

5912280195_a7e1cc24e9_b.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, edo said:

this picture is from langside drive 1987 glasgow 

i stayed near Aberdeen at the time and was off school for days, we had powercuts and thundersnow.... 

5912280195_a7e1cc24e9_b.jpg

Similar in Birmingham, over a foot where i lived with drifts up to my chest while walking to a closed school.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norrance said:

High pressure does not matter if the wind is off the North Sea and the uppers are cold enough. The longer sea track picks up more moisture as was the case last year, and in Jan 1987, 1963 and 1947 for example.

It does matter, but can be compensated for with very steep lapse rates in the mid level so get what you mean.