Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@Northern Strath

-10C?!?!? I've forgotten what that feels like! We got down to -3.5C last night, coldest this winter so far.

Plenty of snow vanishing in the sunlight despite the cold. It's ablation, not subliming as I wrote yesterday. I think ablation includes subliming, which is strictly the weird process of going from solid to vapour without being liquid in between.  @scottish skier would explain it better, later, perhaps?

• Like 3

Posted

Morning weather friends , was a cold and frosty Gourock today .. and felt seasonal . Will we get snow ? Not sure yet , but sure does beat the endless grey we had to endure.

last night due to hazy high cloud had a moon halo !! Looked awesome tried to get a photo ..

4F031F34-F810-4F08-97DC-0748E0291C7D.jpeg

6D20D13C-B0AD-4349-A86C-979E28DB4864.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Low of -1 in Edinburgh, currently +3. Seems the cold hasn't really set in here. Unfortunately it was cloudy most of last night so temperatures never dropped. Oh well, if models are correct we could be getting some interesting weather next week

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Northern Strath

-10C?!?!? I've forgotten what that feels like! We got down to -3.5C last night, coldest this winter so far.

Plenty of snow vanishing in the sunlight despite the cold. It's ablation, not subliming as I wrote yesterday. I think ablation includes subliming, which is strictly the weird process of going from solid to vapour without being liquid in between.  @scottish skier would explain it better, later, perhaps?

If the air is understaturated with water, then snow can 'evaporate' directly from the solid to the vapour phase. It's not strictly melting as the temperature remains below the ice point as you say. Sublimation is the correct term.

The process is endothermic (takes in heat), so needs to draw heat (deltaH, the enthalpy of the transition) from somewhere to occur, and causes localised cooling (evaporative cooling) as a result. Infrared radiation from the sun can help here. 

I understand ablation refers to the net ice loss process affecting the lower parts of a glacier, so includes melting, sublimation, calving or anything else that removes ice. So I suppose it sort of applies tae snaw melt. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

After yesterdays short spell of calm weather here it didn't last long during Thursday evening the wind started to increase again and overnight we had gusts over 40mph the highest reaching 52mph. This morning it's cloudy still windy with a few rain showers. I'm surprised the ferry left this morning in gusts over 40mph and the wave height forecast shows 8 to 10ft waves it won't be a good crossing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Afternoon all

My only concern is the High sitting over us in the long term while England and Wales get snowed in...

Hopefully by that stage West/Central Scotland has seen some snowy action! 

Sick of all you folk in the Highlands hogging all the snow every Winter...

Great pictures in here recently - enjoy you lucky b######s! ☃️

Edit:  Snow flurry here currently.

E5E1505D-4998-4A8E-900E-CB077BF9C696.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

Morning all

My only concern is the High sitting over us in the long term while England and Wales get snowed in...

Hopefully by that stage West/Central Scotland has seen some snowy action! 

Sick of all you folk in the Highlands hogging all the snow every Winter...

Great pictures in here recently - enjoy you lucky b######s! ☃️

E5E1505D-4998-4A8E-900E-CB077BF9C696.png

It's usually me that's griping about the lack of snow! I only get snow from the north here so I'm not expecting to see any more in the foreseeable at all. 

Remember last winter's epic snow that folk like @CatchMyDrift 'suffered'? Zippo here!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's usually me that's griping about the lack of snow! I only get snow from the north here so I'm not expecting to see any more in the foreseeable at all. 

Remember last winter's epic snow that folk like @CatchMyDrift 'suffered'? Zippo here!

I think we should all expect some snow over the coming weeks. Even if the first easterly only catches the SE of the UK , it looks like another easterly could hit straight after, and any fronts in between would almost definitely be snowy down to low levels. 

Anyway, consider yourself lucky to have seen some snow already, last dusting here in Edinburgh was way before Christmas. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Snowing here in the SW. Not going to lie as 3.5c and incredibly light but first flakes of the season but i’m fine with that as tomorrow/Sunday are slightly milder anyway.

Hopefully Tuesday’s low is more favourable or failing that we wait for the resultant easterly (and I start praying i don’t get left out)   

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted

The snow had started here in the south side of Glasgow, not expecting much but the flakes are larger than the snizzle I was expecting. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Finally got home with it light enough yo get some pictures. First from the top of the hill behind the house, stunning view normally, enhanced by snow. 

IMG_20190118_132844.thumb.jpg.2f6338bfa9977e9762c73585a9d617cb.jpg

Then took a few around the house, this of the back... 

IMG_20190118_135811.thumb.jpg.b075a0bcffecd7edd5b136e0b1f023af.jpg

And the view looking south from in front of the lounge window... 

IMG_20190118_140108.thumb.jpg.78aaf07ae83e9ecc5007eb16aaee8ddb.jpg

Weather has been a bright sunny Winter's day. Started off at -6C and was around 1/2C when I got home about 1:30pm. Doesn't seem to ha e been much snow loss, long may it last. 

Is that Bennachie in the top photo? Currently -1C in aboyne. Was -9.4c at 5am. Plan to head out jogging with the sledge again this evening. 4yr old loving it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Light snow falling here also, some nice big flakes. A wee taster of what's to come I hope

• Like 3

Posted

Under the lightest shade of pink on the radar but can't see anything falling or blowing about having just been out to the chicken coop. Time for my snowy avatar I think as a celebration of the potential this evening of seeing something frozen fall oot the sky.

• Like 6

Posted

Precipitation not far off from Edinburgh now, sky is slowly clouding over. 

I think it will dissipate by the time it gets here, although I'm really hoping it doesn't. 

Higher chances of seeing more widespread snow this evening, gradually pushing into the south-east. No accumulations though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
35 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Is that Bennachie in the top photo?

No, Tap o' Noth near Rhynie., taken from just short of the summit of the road over Sui Hill. My view every morning and evening as I head to and from work,when I can see the view that is.

Posted

Margaret who drives the Tesco delivery van says there's half an inch at Wanlockhead and it was spitting snow between Carnwath and Biggar.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
19 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

No, Tap o' Noth near Rhynie., taken from just short of the summit of the road over Sui Hill. My view every morning and evening as I head to and from work,when I can see the view that is.

Aye nice view to have on the commute. I take the Tarland route home most days to see the view towards lochnagar from queens view. Fantastic scenery when the whole area is white. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Don’t know if I will make it home from work later 5F256FD8-7539-4334-BDAF-99CB345C27D0.thumb.jpeg.6469add802f5dbf5380ebdbee516dbdd.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Precipitation not far off from Edinburgh now, sky is slowly clouding over. 

I think it will dissipate by the time it gets here, although I'm really hoping it doesn't. 

Higher chances of seeing more widespread snow this evening, gradually pushing into the south-east. No accumulations though 

UKMO 12z 144hr model, if that comes off Edinburgh will be snow chaos next Thursday ⛄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Light sleet/snow at sea level in Greenock. Wife reports light snow at home.

• Like 2