Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I know the snow depth charts are not the most reliable but the ECM, GFS and GFSP are showing decent amount of snow for Scotland at 240h. Good news for the ski resorts and hopefully the conditions are right for snow at low levels also

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019010900_240_18_215.thumb.png.fa0cb184bc87c9612db70ec24af9cbcc.png

239956599_gfs-16-240(1).thumb.png.8d1a3931216d5662a4e3c50c11a22efc.png

gfs-16-240.thumb.png.11ad534300bd52addf51e3cbf6504e9f.png

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 5

Posted

Another fine day after a frosty start at -1c. Picked the last lettuce today in the garden plus some radishes under glass sown in early October both very good. Have carrots, cabbage and parsnips left in abundance. Also picked some very big neeps to weigh for a biggest neep competition.Last summer produced a few surprises in the garden and on the farm.

Also the first snowdrops are  flowering so snow can"t be far away can it?

• Like 7

Posted

Mix of cloud and hazy sunshine today, frost in shaded areas taking a long time to clear. 

Out of the shade a max of 4.5C recorded and light winds throughout.

Noticeable difference in daylight now in the evening and plenty of mating bird song - if you ignore what the weather models are predicting you'd think spring was coming soon.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Npo condtrialks visisbsbs;e hereree  

Ah that's better, found my specs now.  Not that the view's got any better, just various shades of mid-grey.

• Like 6

Posted

What are the current odds on a snowy end to the month, anyone? Especially north-west, as in Skye northwards... I have some outdoors work on and I'm just figuring out the logistics.  It looks to me like hill snow, but I don't see any lasting snow at low levels. Have I got this right?

Posted

Your roads will be blocked from MOD toys thrown from prams if there isn’t any snow there by end of month (forecast directions means it needs to come through us first if it’s to get to MODland .... and starting from NW). End of month a long time away tho

• Like 1

Posted

Looking like various 12/24/36 hour duration periods of cold zonality from the NW from Tues next week.... Remember January last year anybody?!

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, shuggee said:

Looking like various 12/24/36 hour duration periods of cold zonality from the NW from Tues next week.... Remember January last year anybody?!

January last year was great. I got around 22cms off that!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

Yep. Work was snowed off.

1 hour ago, JamesM said:

January last year was great. I got around 22cms off that!

We got more in Caithness - what I remember most was a one day thaw at some point which brought the burns and rivers up faster than I'd ever seen.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Don't know about substantial or lasting snow quite yet, but Yr.no (ECM based) has me getting some snow Wed into Thu next week, followed by an ice day on Friday. Obviously at that range it can and probably will change.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

What are the current odds on a snowy end to the month, anyone? Especially north-west, as in Skye northwards... I have some outdoors work on and I'm just figuring out the logistics.  It looks to me like hill snow, but I don't see any lasting snow at low levels. Have I got this right?

I would say likely to be cold and even snowy across Scotland but whether that's from N NW or E is anyone's guess....if your there though I'd guess snowmageddon in East and dry oot west

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, edo said:

I would say likely to be cold and even snowy across Scotland but whether that's from N NW or E is anyone's guess....if your there though I'd guess snowmageddon in East and dry oot west

true enough

Posted

It looks like things will start to change as early as Wednesday as it turns colder from the NW with the chance of wintry showers. This will just be a wee taster of what is to come as I think things will start to get really interesting from next weekend as it looks to be turning much colder with increasing chances of snow for many areas

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 3

Posted

So ... if I get this right it's to get cold from the NW .... then colder from the north .... then freezing from the NE .... Sounds like we have most of our bases covered

Ramptastic 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Serac said:

So ... if I get this right it's to get cold from the NW .... then colder from the north .... then freezing from the NE .... Sounds like we have most of our bases covered

Ramptastic 

Yes according to the latest GFS the cold and snow will come at us from all sorts of directions, something to please everyone I hope

12312.thumb.gif.b5884a1a8bf55c6ae088e137f4596478.giftempresult_bnr5.thumb.gif.e22602c56660a0e20f2b05ae2464df91.gif

• Like 6

Posted

@Stormeh those animated gifs are so much easier to follow than the individual frames. Thanks 

The myriad of shades of blue rather good to see too.

Obviously I won't mention the purples that look like they would be heading out way if the animation ran on a couple of days more.

Edited by Serac
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, looking increasingly promising in terms of a cool doon going forward.

Oor resident expert @lorenzo posted last night in the model threads aboot how the MJO wis gan intae phase 5 thoosan whilst mercury wis aligning wi jupiter etc. Hudnae a clue whit he wis oan aboot, but sounded really promising.

Whit a see is basically cauld uppers = mibbe snaw.

t850Midlothian.png

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Second post of the winter (which is pretty telling) - glad to see the endless murk and gloom is likely to end in the next 7 days. I think this thread is going to get a wee bit busier over the next few weeks! :cold:

• Like 7