Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the Czech Republic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Just moved to Prague from London, will put up posts about any interesting weather here, if anyone is interested

After a very windy and fairly mild start to 2019, there was a sharp drop in temperature and several cm’s of snow have fallen, mainly from heavy showers but there was a trough giving more persistent snow yesterday. There was an ice day yesterday and it’s currently -3C and snowing again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Snipper said:

Hope it all goes well. Do you have new garden to deal with?

Thanks All ok so far. Have a large terrace balcony with planters around the edges, that’ll be my gardening interest in Spring

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
2 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Welcome, stainesbloke! 

Thank you! Interesting weather here since I arrived. Snow has melted today and it’s windy again 

Posted

Forget the weather. Hopefully you won’t mind giving some advice, in due course, to those who have never been to Prague but have it on their go and see list. 

Snipper

• Like 1

Posted

Hope it goes well mate. 

Yes, keep posting about the weather in Czech Republic. We need something to relieve the unbridled tedium that is the London weather just now.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Welcome to the Central Europe club mate. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Snipper said:

Forget the weather. Hopefully you won’t mind giving some advice, in due course, to those who have never been to Prague but have it on their go and see list. 

Snipper

Of course! Happy to help in any way I can. I’ll be doing a lot of exploring over the next few months. 

Posted
14 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Hope it goes well mate. 

Yes, keep posting about the weather in Czech Republic. We need something to relieve the unbridled tedium that is the London weather just now.  

Thanks! The weather here has been very interesting, with gales, snow and rain. Very little sunshine though, unfortunately but the snow was great. All melted yesterday with 6C and rain showers but colder again today with snow showers and strong winds this coming week. Am back in west London tomorrow for a few days. You’re right, the weather in London has been so dreary for 2 months now, hopefully something more exciting on the way soon!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
14 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Welcome to the Central Europe club mate. 

Nazdraví!

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Of course! Happy to help in any way I can. I’ll be doing a lot of exploring over the next few months. 

You will have to do a travel blog. Most interested in the good and bad. Must be really fun but a bit scary. 

• Like 1

Posted

Back to Prague today and there’s a couple of inches of snow here. Was a bit on the wet side with temperatures just above freezing this afternoon but it is below freezing now with further snow showers expected tomorrow.

CC9A03C9-87E9-4158-AACC-3274433C8EA1.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Snow has all melted here and it’s a few degrees above freezing now with strong winds yet again buffeting the city.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Further strong winds today with gusts of 45mph 

Posted

Will be windy and quite warm all over the country this week. Looks like winter should be back on Saturday but lot of uncertainty about how cold it will be.

Edited by daz_4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

We'll see. The 12z ECM is mild, the 00z less so. The only agreement is for Saturday to be mild but that's still some way off.

Here the forecasts in recent days have been wrong 24 hours out. This weekend in Bratislava was supposed to be 4-5C. Instead we've had 15-20cm of snow and there's more unforecast snow today.

I guess I should start a Slovakia thread at some point...

• Like 1

Posted

After a run of cool, sunny days last week, there was significant snowfall here in Prague yesterday morning. I have 20cm on the balcony. Everything looks very pretty Temperatures are hovering around freezing so there’s not much thawing of snow in the sunshine today. 

DB809819-ABD5-4993-B237-A2E16A7E396F.jpeg

244F69CB-3CE4-4F6E-8E11-5E8F6375BE27.jpeg

5292BB3F-A47F-48C1-9B53-D6CC2D6BF055.jpeg

69B9791B-DCF1-4AB0-B28F-E3A58BCA5ABB.jpeg

F8CB268A-2232-4046-A248-56D688C46DBE.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Have much problem getting around in these conditions?

What is your heating? How comparable is the cost with UK. 

Where do you keep your crate of used beer bottles?  Plenty of different brews to sample out there I believe. 

Posted
18 hours ago, Snipper said:

Have much problem getting around in these conditions?

What is your heating? How comparable is the cost with UK. 

Where do you keep your crate of used beer bottles?  Plenty of different brews to sample out there I believe. 

No problems getting around, the Czechs are very good at clearing roads and main paths. Also most residents seem to own a snow shovel and have cleared snow from their section of path and driveways. In apartments, the caretakers do it. Having said that, the sudden and heavy snowfall this weekend did catch people out somewhat, there were transport delays and 7 flight diversions.

I actually heat less here than the UK, believe it or not. It’s definitely cheaper that the UK. Am on a regular gas central heating system, with an extra hot water tank.

I prefer beers on tap, there’s loads to choose from either way, however. My favourites are the dark beers. Plus Czech sparkling wine (Bohemia Sekt) is very nice and often £3.50 a bottle! 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Went to Prague in December 2005 and had a great time! I'm sure it's changed a lot since then though, would love to go back some time to see! I recall the cold feeling very different to the UK, a very dry cold which makes sense! We went on a trip with a guide who was a Czech English teacher, he told us some good places to look at and sample a proper Czech pub off the beaten track

• Like 1

Posted
On 05/02/2019 at 13:23, stainesbloke said:

prefer beers on tap, there’s loads to choose from either way, however. My favourites are the dark beers. Plus Czech sparkling wine (Bohemia Sekt) is very nice and often £3.50 a bottle! 

So you are not practicing dry January or February?

Posted
1 hour ago, Snipper said:

So you are not practicing dry January or February?

Sorry, what’s that?!

Posted
13 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Sorry, what’s that?!

Not drinking as a New Years resolution. Much in the press about it. 

For me not a chance. Got another 5 gallons of beer on the go last evening. Jaipur. Last lot was good once matured. 

• Like 1