Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Total lunar eclipse of 21st January 2019

Posted

A total lunar eclipse with all stages should be visible (weather permitting) from the British Isles during the early hours of 21st January 2019.

Penumbral stage begins about 2.38am

Partial stage begins about 3.35am

Totality begins about 4.42am

Totality ends about 5.44am

Partial stage ends about 6.52am

Penumbral stages ends about 7.49am

If the skies are clear, how dark the total eclipse will appear will depend on the aerosols in the atmosphere at the time. Sometimes the eclipse can appear very dark like it did during early December 1992, this was due to I think the Pinatubo eruption of the previous year.

Hopefully they will be clear skies if not during its entirety at least during the spectacular total phase. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21

image.png

Edited by Weather-history
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

A reminder

Saw the last total lunar eclipse from this Saros group back in early January 2001

All eclipses belong to a particular Saros group and there is a gap of 18 years, 11 days and about 8 hours between each eclipse in that Saros group. For instance, the total eclipse shadow that crossed the USA in August 2017, 18 years previous was the last British total solar eclipse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Wow, what a beautiful sight  
I'm lucky for once, a completely clear sky to witness this.

B.   

• Thanks 1

Posted

Saw the full moon last evening and a brief glimpse in the early partial stage but that was that.

Conditions looked so promising a couple of day ago as well.

Scary thing is that the next total lunar eclipse where all stages will be visible from beginning to end from the UK is December 2029!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Fantastic in Newcastle with completely clear skies.

Unfortunately, I'd no good camera with me, so a few phone pics will have to do.

Bloodmoon1.thumb.jpg.0c50d2bc49bcfbd238142691487a1417.jpgBloodmoon2.thumb.jpg.19141e1c8be9fa9594e6c5332d563b8b.jpgBloodmoon3.thumb.jpg.61016c189c5d37a340754c90d13a4992.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

I can outdo you in the crappy-phone-pic stakes, BFTV.

First one is a case of "Spot The Eclipsed Moon". Second is the moon starting to leave the Earth's shadow a short time ago (thought that one came out quite well considering).

IMG-20190121-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.8b7990a933ecc629d940bb8ce2c026b6.jpegIMG-20190121-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.f146c666b8fcb95aef36ac7a4d313f12.jpeg

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

I can outdo you in the crappy-phone-pic stakes, BFTV.

First one is a case of "Spot The Eclipsed Moon". Second is the moon starting to leave the Earth's shadow a short time ago (thought that one came out quite well considering).

IMG-20190121-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.8b7990a933ecc629d940bb8ce2c026b6.jpegIMG-20190121-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.f146c666b8fcb95aef36ac7a4d313f12.jpeg

Remember the December 2010 one? How frustrating was that! Clear to the east and cloudy to the west where the eclipsed moon was!

Clouds parted managed to get a crude photo of the partial phase post total

vWrxrCG.jpg

Partial phase before totality

JPochqv.jpg

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Remember the December 2010 one? How frustrating was that! Clear to the east and cloudy to the west where the eclipsed moon was! 

Came right in the middle of a freezing spell when clear skies are usually a given. If I remember correctly a band of snow hit the SW the previous day and moved north, leaving nothing but annoying clag by the time it reached NW England.

Posted
2 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Came right in the middle of a freezing spell when clear skies are usually a given. If I remember correctly a band of snow hit the SW the previous day and moved north, leaving nothing but annoying clag by the time it reached NW England.

Yes, it was very annoying.

Seems spring and autumn  lunar eclipses are the best for viewing from our region, winter and summer lunar eclipse the worst! There was a lunar eclipse, last summer visible at moonrise and after all the days of clear skies that summer, it is cloudy for that eclipse. 

March 2007 and September 2015 lunar eclipse were cracking for viewing.

Posted
Just now, AderynCoch said:

January 2001 was a good winter one for the NW. First one I remember seeing was the central lunar eclipse of April 1996.

Yes that was  good for viewing. The first one I really took much interest was October 1986.

There was a beauty from January 1982 which followed after the great snowstorms. I wonder how many remember that one? Blood moon, deep clear skies, freezing and a white mantle on the ground. I have heard people talk about that one. 

Posted

Weather was very kind to us; cloud, murk and drizzle all yesterday up to midnight and then clear for the eclipse.

Past ones I remember: 

Sep 2015 was cracking, also brilliantly clear

Don't remember one in Dec 2010 at all, but I do the partial one at New Year 2009/10. 

March 2007 was also clear, a good event

That one in 2003 when it was clear for days beforehand, then hours before it turned cloudy everywhere.

January 2000 (I'm sure it was 2000 not 2001 as some seem to remember) was the opposite, it cleared literally minutes before the eclipse began

One I vaguely recall about 1996 or 1997

The first one I remember watching was August 1989