Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt for Cold continues 02/01/19

phil nw.
Message added by phil nw.

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine

Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.

Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.

Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Message added by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Having looked at GFS from 192z I can't see the reason to be despondent.

At the back end of last year FI showed constant High pressure over us and here we are.

Now it is consistently showing a colder scenario with wedges thrown up toward Griceland...it's coming

tempresult_ppe5.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

So how long do we think the effects of the SSW will go on for? What I'm trying to say is has it already started and that's why some places in Europe are seeing really cold and snowy extreme weather and is it possible we are just in the wrong place this time round? Does  it last for weeks or months after as I have no idea...  if it's weeks then I'm guessing we still have a great chance of something special later in the month but if it's getting near to the end of its peak come the end of the month then what then? Even if we get some colder weather at the end of the month or into February could it just be down to normal winter weather and nothing to do with the original SSW that I believe was happenig high up in the atmosphere during December..  Many Thanks.. ?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

In fairness though @Johnp this is the Hunt for cold thread... ?‍♂️ So come hell or high water people will hunt! Be it day 6 on the ECM or D15 on P16 of the 18z gfs. Nature of this place.

Fair point, although it's frustrating that Nick S can vent his disappointment, but anyone else gets slated!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
26 minutes ago, carinthian said:

On the other side of the extreme I have been told that quite a number of travel routes have been closed in Salzburger Land this morning due to avalanches. The snow just keeps coming. This picture below from Rauris which is a relatively low resort. More blizzards expected in a couple of days as another Arctic blast moves into Central Euroland.

49439077_2226409677377443_4547814765199622144_o.jpg

Live picture from Obertauren buried in snow and mountain pass closed. 4 days of none stop snowfall and more forecast.

C

25.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Longer range modelling all pointing towards SSW influenced pattern.  Blocking to our NW low pressure to our east and NE. Nly outbreaks in abundance. Ok, it's not the beast from the east,  but it will certainly be very cold and snowy for coastal areas with some outbreaks of snow for more inland areas at times. 

The beast from the east last Feb brought us Zilch snow to Western Scotland. Dry and cold Easterly winds. So it's our turn!

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, The BEAST From The East said:

What I'm trying to say is has it already started and that's why some places in Europe are seeing really cold and snowy extreme weather and is it possible we are just in the wrong place this time round

That's standard central and eastern European winter weather because of the azors high pressure troughs always end there unless there is some amplification of the azors high

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 2

Posted

Blatant cherry picking but there are some cold NWP charts out there in deep FI.

P11 GEFS 0z

image.thumb.png.9071fd2cc9818509e327974d606e5e49.png

P20 GEFS 0z

image.thumb.png.53e25f08d897646f1573d2ad6976806b.png

P07 GEFS 0z

image.thumb.png.d7fa029784f972874cb499cc60bbb7a0.png

GEFS day 15 500Mb anomalies

image.thumb.png.390fb678cda0a2d96a82fb77430eba72.png

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
13 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Fair point, although it's frustrating that Nick S can vent his disappointment, but anyone else gets slated!

I’m absolutely not slating you, this place is all about opinions and you should feel free to express yours  . Also I did tell Nick to go for some Moules Frites and a glass of wine yesterday . Which he took in good spirits

Edited by karlos1983
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Much that I love the idea of a big freeze up and loads of snow that hangs around for more than a few hours it sadly doesnt look like coming anytime soon, you here all the promise of background signals etc but sadly until the actual weather forecasts or charts come into short range it’s just not going to happen. It’s all good in the distance until it gets closer and then vanishes into thin air. Sorry for the moan but it’s very frustrating and the date does just keep getting pushed back week by week. Yes the background this and that but sadly the pieces just are not lining up for us in the uk!! Mayb they will look better in the next week but the weather will do what it wants and continue to make fools of us all if it chooses too. Never mind March will be here before we no it just when hlb decides to appear

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So here's how the 06Z Para ends...No snow chances there? Synoptic disaster? Winter is over? Goes away and scratches noddle!:wallbash:

image.thumb.png.71b0b1394db01b4ac7d45ee10cb6057f.png

It's all so negative, in here, that even You-Know-Who would struggle to see the positives:image.png.b07157a67f4c764bd9a977d1f99cf501.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Yes, I take your point but the 850s do tend to be under done a little at that range. 

Either way, great charts for the Scottish ski industry. 

This Winter really has been rancid so far - I live in the West of Scotland and have seen about 100 flakes of snowfall. (All in one hour period)

I have hills/mountains directly to my North/Northwest with good views from my windows and these have only had a cover for two days max. (Pictures attached from December 16th)

I really do hope we are all not sitting here at the start of February posting the same stuff about the lack of snowfall anytime soon in the UK and Ireland. 

Surely late Winter/Early Spring will deliver the goods? Until then give me cold zonal all day long so I can at least get my fix!

When we are talking about charts looking great for the Scottish ski resorts approaching mid January...that is when we all know it is getting desperate for us! 

Onwards and upwards - plenty of Winter/Spring left for some glorious snowfall for us all! ☃️☃️☃️

Have a good day all!

I’m off to trawl the CFS 9 monthly charts for snowmageddon and a hot Summer! 

37020EBF-8F7E-40A2-B7B0-727CD22BE57B.png

B858F81B-2221-47D2-81C6-EDE21D662EC3.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

It is so strange how when there's one model run that is good for cold and snow, everyone takes it as gospel and everyone thinks winter's nailed on, the truth is the next run is so unlikely to be as good as that but people always get so upset when it happens. Us coldies need to hold our heads high because I think this winter will deliver what we want, but it will require patience.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Live picture from Obertauren buried in snow and mountain pass closed. 4 days of none stop snowfall and more forecast.

C

No disrespect but surely there is a more suitable thread for nowcasting Austria's weather?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Having looked at GFS from 192z I can't see the reason to be despondent.

At the back end of last year FI showed constant High pressure over us and here we are.

Now it is consistently showing a colder scenario with wedges thrown up toward Griceland...it's coming

tempresult_ppe5.gif

Possibly because many people have said GFS is a cannon fodder and not worth looking at? GFSp is a lot flatter with less wedges. Day 10 ECM shows a rampant PV over Greenland ...I could go on 

E48BF1CE-EAB9-4365-A30E-EC92F9D0AFB0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
9 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Much that I love the idea of a big freeze up and loads of snow that hangs around for more than a few hours it sadly doesnt look like coming anytime soon, you here all the promise of background signals etc but sadly until the actual weather forecasts or charts come into short range it’s just not going to happen. It’s all good in the distance until it gets closer and then vanishes into thin air. Sorry for the moan but it’s very frustrating and the date does just keep getting pushed back week by week. Yes the background this and that but sadly the pieces just are not lining up for us in the uk!! Mayb they will look better in the next week but the weather will do what it wants and continue to make fools of us all if it chooses too. Never mind March will be here before we no it just when hlb decides to appear

I think someone is feeling the pain although i do get it! You can't have a dig at the ones that put lots of hours and research into trying to understand meterology, it's natural to try and blame people when it don't go to plan that's human nature. I agree it continues to be put back but that's the weather, but also remember the fact it's only the 6th jan! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

It is so strange how when there's one model run that is good for cold and snow, everyone takes it as gospel and everyone thinks winter's nailed on, the truth is the next run is so unlikely to be as good as that but people always get so upset when it happens. Us coldies need to hold our heads high because I think this winter will deliver what we want, but it will require patience.

Lol it’s not just one run that’s gospel is pretty much every run every model apart from the odd bit of excitement that gets blown away by the next run. That’s the reality of it all, what’s the point of good fi charts if they never actually make it lol

• Like 4

Posted

With the vortex in such a mess I'm confident that mid to late Jan will be the start of a memorable period of winter weather...and hopefully the UK will get its share.

1354345014_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.1c75b1183fd39d5e3e8eadc4443f6f4e.png

http://weatheriscool.com/prod/interactiveTserie.html

http://weatheriscool.com/index.php/stratosfaren-zonal-mean-u-wind-60n-vcs/

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

I think someone is feeling the pain although i do get it! You can't have a dig at the ones that put lots of hours and research into trying to understand meterology, it's natural to try and blame people when it don't go to plan that's human nature. I agree it continues to be put back but that's the weather, but also remember the fact it's only the 6th jan! 

Yes I get what your saying believe me and I no it’s the 6th jan but you can’t tell me it don’t just keep getting pushed back every week. It’s no good having really good background signals it’s the weather on the ground that counts and it continues to be rather dump

• Like 2