Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt for Cold continues 02/01/19

phil nw.
Message added by phil nw.

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine

Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.

Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.

Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Message added by Paul

Posted

ICON/EC/GFSP the pick this morning-

Encouraging that EC might be sniffing out the way forward perhaps?

Not much help from GEFS- seems to be a split mid term between cold zonal and rubbish zonal..

Non the wiser from where i'm sitting, hopefully EC leading the way..

edit: after viewing the precip charts i'm not entirely sure what GEFS are depicting mid to long term , would have expected more precip spikes in a conventional zonal set up..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
14 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

So winter isn't over now?

I don't think I have been in the winter is over camp at any point, maybe you read my comment about the GEM, just how I reacted to seeing its output, not an endorsement of its theme by any stretch. GEM is only a good tool when it seems to be in harmony with several other major models. A GEM outlier is like a bitcoin offer you can refuse. 

• Like 5

Posted

GFSp whilst not synopticaly spectacular delivers plenty of snow as wedges allow southerly tracking lows ...

2DFD605F-FB1F-4CF9-B661-46A0E8E5E639.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Why no comments on the ECM - it’s a good one  144-168-192 below

Not exactly BOOM charts in terms of deep cold air advection and associated snow potential, but synoptically much better than what we have a the moment.

Day 10 00z EC chart screams potential with the potent reload from the north knocking on Scotland's door, too far off to have confidence, but do think there is a signal for colder reloads from the arctic as we head towards mid-month, interestingly the 00z GEFS z500 mean is signalling cross polar height rises (-AO) from the NAO region day 10 and then on which would help lock in the reloads of arctic air.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_41.thumb.png.4653a3e27effd4bb10c5dee4946b6451.pnggfs-ens_z500a_nhem_49.thumb.png.8604ff34ad72715010ec5d3857fd9102.png

00z EPS z500 mean has the ridge out west (further west than GEFS at day 10) and deep trough down into E Europe - which suggests scope for Nly reloads.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.thumb.png.0311d15c7db5794c76f6579b2ae25b13.png

All-in-all, positive signals ahead toward mid-month, though no wintry nirvana yet showing, the wait continues and so patience required ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

This from Forecaster Helen Roberts. Her comments were about the ssw: “That is why it is feeling much colder this week than before, and towards the middle of the month it will make conditions much more changeable, with more freezing fog patches and rain. “While it is technically possible that Beast from the East-style heavy snowfall will return, we just don’t know yet whether it will happen.” So I guess they have no clue where this is going to go as much as we don't. 

• Like 3

Posted

Another edge towards an initial Easterly this morning? I think so.

The Berlin EC charts show an increased appetite for reversed winds to downwell and at 150mb, why maybe we should be looking east... ?

C91CB26A-78B9-49AC-B40D-FB77701A4AE6.thumb.gif.40a940a9d5022a26d8762707c77438b5.gif

• Like 7

Posted

Good and bad this morning .

Good that the main models keep separation between shortwave and upstream trough at the key timeframe .

The bad we’re not seeing enough north easterly push to the ridge bar the ICON which is hands down the best output of the winter so far .

Because of the expected split PV in a few days it might be wise to view the later output in light of that .

Overall I would have gladly taken today’s outputs if offered yesterday morning , today I think we’re in a holding pattern waiting for the next move .

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Good and bad this morning .

Good that the main models keep separation between shortwave and upstream trough at the key timeframe .

The bad we’re not seeing enough north easterly push to the ridge bar the ICON which is hands down the best output of the winter so far .

Because of the expected split PV in a few days it might be wise to view the later output in light of that .

Overall I would have gladly taken today’s outputs if offered yesterday morning , today I think we’re in a holding pattern waiting for the next move .

EC looks good again Nick

Just read an interesting post by Iceberg in the other model thread and its an encouraging read from a very knowledgeable chap who doesn't post very often but i personally always pay attention to his thoughts..

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Another edge towards an initial Easterly this morning? I think so.

The Berlin EC charts show an increased appetite for reversed winds to downwell and at 150mb, why maybe we should be looking east... ?

C91CB26A-78B9-49AC-B40D-FB77701A4AE6.thumb.gif.40a940a9d5022a26d8762707c77438b5.gif

The ec op again downwelled above 75N ....... the latest op is neg 2/3 AO and  neg 2 NAO . imo, the mid month period is dependent on how the tpv arranges itself which could allow the arctic high to play a bigger part in the atantic sector 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

A big step west of the cold on the EPS overnight from yesterday-

00z V 00z is 168 > 192 is a good 3/400 miles adjusted with the -4c line

D7E7B4F0-49D5-45CE-9160-6B4DCD2DC169.thumb.png.32f23e7d9d937787b272835d069e8f12.png02B300D4-C6BE-415C-8D85-A1BA1D224922.thumb.png.55446142ff0b90351714e04d7c224557.png

Much better angle being depicted now also, not sure it will be enough to get a sustained wintry flow though, the ridge seems incessant on staying too close to us  , longer term the set up is getting better and better IMO.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ec op again downwelled above 75N ....... the latest op is neg 2/3 AO and  neg 2 NAO . imo, the mid month period is dependent on how the tpv arranges itself which could allow the arctic high to play a bigger part in the atantic sector 

So a mid month swing is still possible going off that? 

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

So a mid month swing is still possible going off that? 

the modelling is a little tricky at the moment  .........the big pieces of the jigsaw are known but the areas between the big pieces are proving tough to work out ..... wedges perhaps ......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Despite hopes for a QTR, I think we can safely rule this out. Some initial response to the SSW is still likely and we can see the models trying to grind some sort of cold from that, so that remains a possibility.

However, as I expected the SSW downwelling may be the make or break for this Winter. This is due in the third week of Jan and combined with possibly favourable Tropical forcing in the Pacific region, Feb should be interesting for some mid-latitude regions. I still believe that a long cold spell will be directly related to a Pacific Wave and its interaction with any HLB. The usual caveats for the UK.

The D16 nascent GEFS are still there but no current trend for any large scale flips to a blocky Atlantic sector; D16:

gens_panel_djo7.png

Of course with the GFS bias for over-egging the Atlantic, these GEFS may have little probative value, but an improvement would be helpful!

Seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel yet for wholesale changes to be reflected in the models so as we were...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Timing is so important .

What we want is to get the ridge sufficiently ne and low pressure developing over northern Italy before lobes of the PV start flying all over the place .

This is why the PV split could add a lot of uncertainty into the modelling .

• Like 3

Posted

ICON rolling out- will be interesting to see if it maintains the nice trends observed on the 00z run- as it was one of EC's 'allies' this morning it would be a positive if it follows the 00z..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

ICON rolling out- will be interesting to see if it maintains the nice trends observed on the 00z run- as it was one of EC's 'allies' this morning it would be a positive if it follows the 00z..

6z doesn't go past 120h unfortunately 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Oh bugger i forgot about that, thanks Artur..

We should still get a good idea of where it’s heading by +120 though.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So, todays the day where the phasing of the 2 lows will be resolved as the timing edges towards the T69 Mark.

My personal forecast would be to expect significant upgrades across the piste in the day 6-8 timeline & a more uniform agreement across all the models inc GEFS & EPS

S

Icon lookin even better at 102 hours!!more ridiging into greenland and shortwave dropping further south!!

• Like 1