Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt for Cold continues 02/01/19

phil nw.
Message added by phil nw.

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine

Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.

Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.

Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Message added by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

tempresult_hxt9.gif tempresult_fas4.gif

The control was the way I was thinking the op was heading^^^

Lots going on and this may be one of those instances where we have to wait till it sorts itself out, hopefully by the end of the week!

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Johnp said:

When people crop their images, could they please do it so we can see the run details, like which date, run, perbutation etc

EF728880-C10C-44E2-B747-99ECD8C8A22A.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
39 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

We might be on the cusp of a monster?:cold:

image.thumb.png.772d95a293de3d9c528367b364a48a04.png

These t+20,800 minutes charts are getting tedious now. 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

EF728880-C10C-44E2-B747-99ECD8C8A22A.png

Cheers - wasn't meant as a dig at you by the way.  It happens a lot and your post merely reminded me of it!

• Like 3

Posted

Although the Para  isnt showing a greenie high like the 6z  it really is quite snowy for some with the Vortex  suffering somewhat  with yet again  the high to the west of the USA making inroads to the pole    At the moment all eyes seem to be around the 20th ish  for a change to colder weather  

gfsnh-0-336.png

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

FV3 at T360:

image.thumb.jpg.f6009710a82673c464ba423f410678ff.jpg

My take on today's runs is that GFS and FV3 are now seeing the downwelling from the strat in the latter part of their runs, but by this point the trop modelling is already well into FI and has gone off the rails, so no consistency on how the high lat blocks or trop vortex splits set up...it may now just be a question of counting down until some consistency emerges about what the trop pattern will look like come ~22 January.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Posted

Personally, I’m very encouraged by today’s developments.

I mentioned yesterday all eyes to circa 20th Jan approx for a steep change and I’ve seen nothing today to change this.

The GFS ensembles have been displaying some potent ensemble members over the last few days, these will continue to increase in numbers over the coming days.

We need to remember the affects of the SSW are very much in the early stages and this may take a few more days to show up significantly across the NWP suites.

I have a good feeling this time next week the model suites will be looking very appealing indeed.

Keep the faith....winter is coming....

A

Edited by East801
  • Like 8

Posted

Increasing trend to see some sort of (albeit quite messy) HLB around the +300hr mark, which while it remains in that range falls into chocolate teapot category of usefulness.

It seems since around mid December that whenever a cold trend has started to gain some traction, the northern arm of the jet fires up and blasts hope away.

Perhaps the events in the strat are yet to fully reveal the effects in the trop, but I am starting to think this might be a bit of a Murphy's Law type of winter. At least until the last 3rd when the jet might ease off a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This looks about what we would expect, assuming the forecast, for transient northerlies during the run-up to the main event, is correct:

image.thumb.png.b78cdacba6034e7f5161ac6dd3d0e124.png

Are charts for T+219 still permissible BTW?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Hints from the ECM that our friend the high is moving back in over the UK. Already a big dig difference at T120 between the GFS and ECM. We could be going for a rinse and repeat session of nothingness.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

The ECM is fine considering it doesn't even cover the time period we are now looking at so I don't know what some people were expecting.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Nice little ridge between Iceland and Greenland at 144 

FCDF8B75-7140-42D8-86A6-D3E8CCF825E3.thumb.png.f5913671aa8cce836b24a77ac4f360a0.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I keep seeing reference to the 20th as a date of change.

Well I hope we do get the change, though I remain cautious that even the PV in pieces doesn't mean it necessarily ends up in the right positions to give us what we want!

But seeing some of those drastic changes being thrown up to the size and position of large chunks of the PV, i'm gonna hazard a guess here.  If we are gonna get the type of weather we are all hoping for, I don't think it's going to arise through gradual changes that take us through to the 20th.  I think it's far more likely we get a sudden flip in the models in the next couple of days that start showing some real potential for something to come up as early as this weekend.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Nice little ridge between Iceland and Greenland at 144 

FCDF8B75-7140-42D8-86A6-D3E8CCF825E3.thumb.png.f5913671aa8cce836b24a77ac4f360a0.png

If the purple monster ALL moves into Scandinavia we'll be in business.  No PV left behind in Southern Greenland please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

The ECM is fine considering it doesn't even cover the time period we are now looking at so I don't know what some people were expecting.

I think pit was on about subtle changes from this morning.not much point following EC then really if it's under 10-15days then ?

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

If the purple monster ALL moves into Scandinavia we'll be in business.  No PV left behind in Southern Greenland please.

That is not going to happen purple monster grows from 144hr onwards in every run to date.

ECH1-168.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

I keep seeing reference to the 20th as a date of change.

Well I hope we do get the change, though I remain cautious that even the PV in pieces doesn't mean it necessarily ends up in the right positions to give us what we want!

But seeing some of those drastic changes being thrown up to the size and position of large chunks of the PV, i'm gonna hazard a guess here.  If we are gonna get the type of weather we are all hoping for, I don't think it's going to arise through gradual changes that take us through to the 20th.  I think it's far more likely we get a sudden flip in the models in the next couple of days that start showing some real potential for something to come up as early as this weekend.  

Scepticism is good, beats playing follow-the-leader any day of the week...?

Here's the FV3's prediction for January 19 - a pattern that has been repeated several times, since the weekend...Doesn't guarantee its rightness, though...

image.thumb.png.3b9b9161ac78d0c02584510831a7377e.png

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

That is not going to happen purple monster grows from 144hr onwards in every run to date.

ECH1-168.gif

I'm just dreaming the dream of December 16th 2010

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

By t192  ECM (15th Jan), you can see the main core of heights (deeper orange), leaking away to the S.W.

image.thumb.png.67a82f93061dc58123336090f442aa44.png

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Will heights get up the western side of greenland? Probably too flat 

45C32A05-8F06-4A75-BB56-9C0F563B3D1C.png

Probably too soon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
26 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

This looks about what we would expect, assuming the forecast, for transient northerlies during the run-up to the main event, is correct:

image.thumb.png.b78cdacba6034e7f5161ac6dd3d0e124.png

Are charts for T+219 still permissible BTW?

Absolutely, that chart is 9,900 minutes nearer the reliable timeframe than your previous t+384hr chart.  It is precisely this that people view (D10 to D16 charts whatever they be in minutes) as a given and accordingly vent their frustrations as they do not recur in the way a coldie would like. I think we ALL should state timescales and usual caveats involved as often as is possible in our posts to avoid the toy-throwing and take everybody reading as being a newbie to the Meteorology game. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1