Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt for Cold continues 02/01/19

phil nw.
Message added by phil nw.

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine

Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.

Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.

Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Message added by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GFS op throws out one of those flatliners from the 18z GEFS suite, thought it might.

The 0z GFS is a stonker in FI. Really cold and snowy at times. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GFS op throws out one of those flatliners from the 18z GEFS suite, thought it might.

GFS seems to put out a trend from yesterday's 12z to this morning's 00z 

For a colder T240hr and beyond 

I think we all would like to see this under

T144.

Heavy thundery snow showers on a brisk NE Wind.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, things definitely looking up now in GEFS suite, next step, getting more eps members on board.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I really hope so crewe.

I'm suffering from LOSDD.

Lack of snow deficiency disorder. 

The symptoms are rage" red skin and nightmares. 

Other symptoms include posting 1947 charts on weather forums.:drunk-emoji:

• Like 6

Posted

GFSP trying pretty hard to link arctic heights even by next Fri, pretty sure that won’t happen but different to the GFS and UKMO.

2BBA60E7-BC50-43FB-8BF7-803EE30EE40A.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
26 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Very cold GFS leading to a very good FI beyond it. Still to far in FI to think it may happen but signs of that very cold late Jan picking up as the PV finally looks like breaking.

18th now looks like the time all things start, but I still feel this may come forward a day or two. Good start to the day. 

180892A7-D6C4-4F4A-BF7C-9DA1FACC5FDA.png

C509DC93-7423-49C6-93A0-11E0700D022F.png

I hope so the 18th was my prediction of fun and games a few days back you can really start to see the SSW going to town on the Vortex. It's FI but damm its a peach probably the best I have viewed this winter so far.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
Just now, Ali1977 said:

GFSP trying pretty hard to link arctic heights even by next Fri, pretty sure that won’t happen but different to the GFS and UKMO.

2BBA60E7-BC50-43FB-8BF7-803EE30EE40A.png

It would only take a bit less energy than currently predicted in the greenland area for them to link. Then there is no possible way the cold can avoid us. Happy days.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, things definitely looking up now in GEFS suite, next step, getting more eps members on board.

Latest GEFS are stuck annoyingly!! As per the GFSP at T180

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

GFS online was the same at 04:47am .

Not sure why.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Take a look on wetter, the control brews up a snow storm in deep FI and p7 and p8 are pretty tasty but bit of a mixed bag so far

GFSP08EU00_240_1.png

Here is a link

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten.php?map=1&model=gfs&var=1&time=240&run=0&lid=P08&h=0&mv=0&tr=6

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
21 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

It would only take a bit less energy than currently predicted in the greenland area for them to link. Then there is no possible way the cold can avoid us. Happy days.

Ha, ha. Don't say that!  The UK so often seems to have some anti cold sorcery so that it will 'avoid' beyond all odds. You'll jinx it ;)

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Take a look on wetter, the control brews up a snow storm in deep FI and p7 and p8 are pretty tasty but bit of a mixed bag so far

GFSP08EU00_240_1.png

Here is a link

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten.php?map=1&model=gfs&var=1&time=240&run=0&lid=P08&h=0&mv=0&tr=6

Looks like a lot better set than the 00z, although harder to judge with the meteociel panel. Looks like back down to a -4/5c mean down south and -6c up north.

GFSP isn’t great in FI.

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

P20 is an absolute brute, has to be right

GFSP20EU00_252_1.pngGFSP20EU00_270_1.pngGFSP20EU00_288_1.pngGFSP20EU00_306_1.pngGFSP20EU00_384_1.png

GFSP20EU00_258_2.pngGFSP20EU00_288_2.pngGFSP20EU00_306_2.pngGFSP20EU00_324_2.pngGFSP20EU00_384_2.png

• Like 1

Posted

Ali GFS takes a long time to get going but,,

gfsnh-0-360.pnggfsnh-1-360.png

That would be interesting

• Like 1

Posted

850s for Cumbria look good , it looks like the 13th still has a chance of going very cold with 5/6 ENS going for it. It’s going to get cold in 7/8 days, how cold is still up in the air.

7EFCF8EB-89CA-4642-905E-CBD33A96C072.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

The shifting of the polar vortex and the resulting deep troughing into Europe looks very tasty on this ECM run. A good example of where you don't need hlb for cold. 

ECH1-192 (1).gif

Edited by Seasonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
37 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

850s for Cumbria look good , it looks like the 13th still has a chance of going very cold with 5/6 ENS going for it. It’s going to get cold in 7/8 days, how cold is still up in the air.

7EFCF8EB-89CA-4642-905E-CBD33A96C072.png

To be fair that does depend where in Cumbria? If the mean Alston its a world away from Barrow or Whitehaven. Aware its 850 temps but on the ground there's massive differences. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 hours ago, carinthian said:

Just thought I would post this winter chart below back from 1973. I remember working on these charts back in my Gatwick days and thinking what a frustrating winter that was. Similar to present set up synoptically. Those days we had limited model forecasts and SSW was not a feature in long range forecasting. That winter delivered brief northerly outbreaks but predominated by high pressure around the British Isles that kept the cold away from much of Britain which remained under a mild high influence for nearly 3 month. It can be a frustrating waiting for the cold when promising so much. I just hope for @Catacol sake , that the high in the wrong position eventually delivers as I do not wish him to take up Knitting next winter !

NOAA_1_1973010518_1.png

The above post talks about mild high influence, well this mornings chart from ECM below at 144t highlights its worst feature and that's the anticyclone embedded in the mid -latitude jet. These charts just put my mind set in a deep winter blues mode, mainly based on past horrid winter experiences (above post ) We have to get out of this set up very soon. I know the longer term charts keep promising deep cold but its always jam tomorrow. Heck , I need to get out into the mountains quickly as its just the same mild scenario out here in Western Canada ( still waiting for the cold )  Picture below with the family on Jerico Beach is looking across English Bay towards North Vancouver and typical of Vancouver January weather, possibly worse than Northwest England.  Anyway, that's enough of my downbeat analysis and hope things take a turn for the better in our hunt for cold both here and back in Blighty.

ECMOPEU00_144_1.png

49479653_1966940230022581_2706574624845463552_n.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Nothing special in the gfs output with just NW - N’’ies. We need some HLB to deliver country wide snowfall and not just the favoured northern regions!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

MJO Phase 7, split vortex, GWO phase 5-6 and this is the result. A Far cry from UKMO and ECMWF seasonal models from their initial cold updates. once again it proves that NAO is the wild card and has failed to go negative despite plenty of positive background signals. UK/IE is once again going to look at FEB/March for winter to arrive.like most recent climo

ECH1-240.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
11 minutes ago, carinthian said:

The above post talks about mild high influence, well this mornings chart from ECM below at 144t highlights its worst feature and that's the anticyclone embedded in the mid -latitude jet. These charts just put my mind set in a deep winter blues mode, mainly based on past horrid winter experiences (above post ) We have to get out of this set up very soon. I know the longer term charts keep promising deep cold but its always jam tomorrow. Heck , I need to get out into the mountains quickly as its just the same mild scenario out here in Western Canada ( still waiting for the cold )  Picture below with the family on Jerico Beach is looking across English Bay towards North Vancouver and typical of Vancouver January weather, possibly worse than Northwest England.  Anyway, that's enough of my downbeat analysis and hope things take a turn for the better in our hunt for cold both here and back in Blighty.

ECMOPEU00_144_1.png

49479653_1966940230022581_2706574624845463552_n.jpg

Isn't lows moving from NW to SE what we want in the mid term with pressure rising behind them?

Could be snowy for those in the north on the right side of the jet.

• Like 3