Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt for Cold continues 02/01/19

phil nw.
Message added by phil nw.

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine

Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.

Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.

Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Message added by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Some snow showers in the east as early as a week tomorrow according to ECM 

B4583DD0-5032-48BE-BDE4-F916FB03FDFA.png

59A70EBE-6995-45C9-A209-F4F2A6BFCFAC.png

Very light in nature though, a few pellets of Graupel probably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Nice. Is anyone going to moan about this?  And re: ignoring the GFS, quite clearly the current op is outdated and shouldn't be taken as seriously as its newer replacement the FV3 or the other major models. Pretty simple concept really. 

ECM1-168 (3).gif

ECM0-168.gif

• Like 3

Posted

looking at the 850 winds, you wouldn't expect ec to undercut next frame

also, the downwelling wav doesn't make it past the pole (yesterdays 12z did which caused so much excitement)

without the undercut, a scandi ridge looks unlikely

without the wave getting past the pole, a greeny high looks unlikely

ergo, MLB sustains …..hopefully not too flat by day 10 ……….

EDIT: and that's why you should never anticipate the run 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ArHu3 said:

It is not a junk model and during winter seems to have an edge over EC, it is true that it is flat, flatter than the other models but unfortunately it turns out to be right more often than not 

Its just the amount of Information it bring out everyday , it can get very confusing in the main thread ... 1 Gfs run can wipe out an ECM run in the thread , even though ECM might be on to something , id rather have a separate thread to discuss the merits of the ECM /UKMO rather than have to guess a randam page number after 2 good/bad have filled the forum with comments based on what 1 GFS run throws out. 

Edited by BlackburnChris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The ECM & UKMO are very very close, ECM has the most vertical profile over the atlantic so will be the most amplified at 168-

However its not totally about the amplitude of the wave, more about the undercutting capability ( dont forget the plucky ICON 12z )

You mean it is a Turkey? 

Well let's hope ECM has this nailed because if so Winter is coming

ECH1-192.GIF?02-0

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

You mean it is a Turkey? 

Well let's hope ECM has this nailed because if so Winter is coming

ECH1-192.GIF?02-0

no lol gfs has its merits as well , juat would rather be able to discuss them separately

Posted

EC is a vast improvement on this morning- its also very cold at the surface as the core high is further north -

We were here at 12z yesterday though and the ens farted in its general direction of travel..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Not bad at day 7 . A bit more amplitude upstream and we could get the high further north before the topple towards Scandi .

Like this Nick?

image.thumb.png.1260d21803c995e948d2809d102b0285.pngimage.thumb.png.332e6fbd19a287e34de1b5dc91a21704.png

EDIT: We could do with a bit less pressure on the HP from the NW!

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted

i didn't notice the nose of ridging dropped ay day 7 over finland - these small nodes of arctic ridging are going to be important where they meet ridging from the mid lats and seem very variable, run to run

• Like 2

Posted

If we can overcome the first hurdle then there could be a nice surprise next week .

However until we’re certain that there won’t be a phasing issue between low and shortwave earlier on then my ear muffs and rather dashing scarf shall remain un opened !

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

i didn't notice the nose of ridging dropped ay day 7 over finland - these small nodes of arctic ridging are going to be important where they meet ridging from the mid lats and seem very variable, run to run

Blue, is the ridge thrown up around t+120 timescale before or because of the expected mjo phase 7 ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If we can overcome the first hurdle then there could be a nice surprise next week .

However until we’re certain that there won’t be a phasing issue between low and shortwave earlier on then my ear muffs and rather dashing scarf shall remain un opened !

Yes - Just remember though we have the 2 best models ( euros ) v the rest of the lower resolution ones - that would indicate energy seperation issues along a poorly defined grid...

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Yes - Just remember though we have the 2 best models ( euros ) v the rest of the lower resolution ones - that would indicate energy seperation issues along a poorly defined grid...

True but I won’t sleep till the key part is within a closer timeframe ! I’m getting stressed now because I can see good things happening if we just get a bit of luck earlier on . I admire your confidence Steve . Give me another day and the trend the same and I’ll join you .

• Like 3

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&amp;ech=204

things  are looking interesting  about  jan 16 if the gfs  is  right

gfs-2-336.png

gfs-2-348.png

gfs-2-360.png

gfs-2-372.png

gfs-2-384.png

• Like 4

Posted

Well if the Ecm is correct   a good few days of cold temperatures  with a easterly of sorts  setting in over the last few frames.   Onto the ens for some clarification. 

• Like 2