Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Grand Solar Minimum

Jed Fischer

The current solar cycle (cycle 24) is about to reach it's minimum point.  Nothing special about that because according to the consistent cycle it has followed for as long as the sun has been monitored it will do so every 11 years.  What is significant however is that according to the research of the Valentina Zharkova and her team, we are also on the cusp of a Grand Solar Minimum, which has a cycle of roughly 350-400 years according to her mathematical models.  Her models accurately coincide with the last time the sun went though a Grand Minimum and this was an event that we know of called The Maunder Minimum.  This was an period of below average temperatures in Northern Europe, more commonly known as the little ice age.  Below is a link to her work.  Some of the work is very mathematical which is not surprising as Zharkova is an applied mathematician at Northumbria University.

Here is one of the most important graphs in my opinion.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep15689

GSM.jpg

Posted

I think the biggest question is how much "global warming" or "climate change" will play out with this IF we see the sun go as quiet as some expect. Interesting times for sure. The biggest danger IMO is a quiet sun lulls some into a false sense of security and nothing is done to kerb harmful emissions. (which ever way you look at it pumping the atmosphere full of gases can't be a good thing!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Hey all. There's already a very similar thread open here

Probably better to continue the discussion in the other thread. As such, I'll close this in a few hours. Ta!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
7 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Hey all. There's already a very similar thread open here

Probably better to continue the discussion in the other thread. As such, I'll close this in a few hours. Ta!

Cheers BFTV, just spotted this thread and was about to link posters to the other one!