Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Overview of 2018 - thoughts and summaries

damianslaw

Posted
2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

I would highly recommend it! The biggest and best county in England by a long shot.

Just to check Matthew, do you live in the Marton near Cleveland or the small village near Pickering?

The one near Cleveland but the second pic is from Dalby forest area:oldsmile:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Matthew. said:

The one near Cleveland but the second pic is from Dalby forest area:oldsmile:

Yes thats why I wondered if it could be the small Marton, as its near Dalby Forest.

Posted
10 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

I would highly recommend it! The biggest and best county in England by a long shot. :D

Just to check Matthew, do you live in the Marton near Cleveland or the small village near Pickering?

I’m definitely going to visit this spring or summer. What’s the best place to head to, if I’m coming from London? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The last four months have been dull as dishwater, but prior to that a fascinating year.

The beasterly did not deliver much snow in my location but seeing 3" in central London was a treat and a temp of -11c recorded at home. 

20180228_130014.thumb.jpg.04bc18a90bea14230bb6422061b2ff01.jpg

After the cold of March came the heat. We reached 29c at the end of April in central London and saw a July that had an average max of 27c. With 56 straight days of no rainfall it felt like the Mediterranean with everything brown and parched.

Since then though the weather has been fairly dull. Relatively mild through autumn but with little storminess and just mild, drab days.

Posted

This year has definitely been one of the most interesting years for me. With the snow in January, then a very sunny February before the Beast from the East and then the very quick change from winter to summer in May which was very warm and sunny. The summer was definitely one of the best I’ve experienced even with a average August. The storm in September, cold snap in October and a very sunny December rounded off a really good year. It ranked as my sunniest year since I began recording in 1994.

General statistics

Mean maximum: 13.3.C (+0.4.C)

Mean minimum: 5.2.C (+0.2.C)

Mean: 9.3.C (+0.3.C)

Rainfall: 806mm (92%)

Sunshine: 1,593 hours (122%)

Highest maximum: 31.1.C (28th June)

Highest Minimum: 16.4.C (9th July)

Lowest maximum: -2.7.C (27th February)

Lowest minimum: -9.8.C (8th January) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

2018 was giving 2010 a run for its money until November/December came along (which were sadly a very depressing end to 2018).

January was stormy with average temperatures here (flip flops) in Dublin and I seen my first snow falling since March 2016 on the 16th! That was a very exciting night. 6/10

February was an ideal Winter month. Plentiful frost and very sunny. Had some frontal snow on the night of the 5th/6th giving a brief dusting but precipitation was light whilst temperatures were perfect for settling. The final day of the month was an ice day with my biggest snow easily since 2010 and this was only the start of the BFTE and then Emma showing just how poor my area does for snow and especially in this decade since 2010. 9/10

March started off epic with the BFTE continuing to feed in plenty of Irish Sea streamers then Emma invaded from the south and brought high drifts especially on the 2nd which I went out for a walk in. What an experience. After that it was generally cloudy and cool with a lot of rain so I wasn't particularly a fan of March (I'd also much prefer the snow to be in meteorological Winter than Spring but that's just me). I did have some more impressive snow on the 18th though. 5/10

April began absolutely horrible, very cloudy and cool with 4 consecutive days of no sunshine in the second week. I was very unwell during the same period so it didn't brighten up my mood, forgive the pun. I was relieved when the sun made an appearance on the evening of Friday 13th. The warm spell was terrible here generally with a lot of cloud and high humidity unfortunately though it was very interesting monitoring the maximum temps for the UK I must admit. The last week or so of April which became very awful in the southeast of England was actually really nice here and if it were not for this week, April would have been an exceptionally dull month here. I rate April slightly below average as a result. 4/10

May was fine. It wasn't my favourite as I preferred May 2010 and May 2017 which were both sunnier here but it was still not a month for me to complain about. Good few sunny days and pleasant warm temperatures. Was a very nice feeling finishing school for the year on May 29th and it was gorgeous weather out. 7/10

June was stupendous. Absolutely perfect. I could not have had a better June weather wise than June 2018. Perfect temperatures. Fantastic sunshine and in high frequency too (June 2018 was the sunniest month I've experienced so far). This is one of the rare months where I give the full 10/10.

July started where June left off with more brilliant conditions but it changed for a bit from the 11th as cloudier conditions became afoot for most of the next two weeks with the exception of the 14th and 19th which were really nice days. The weather became very humid for a time on the 22nd but I found it alright and it was sunny at least. The 25th and 26th were the last fine days until the horrible end to July. A grand month overall though I preferred July 2013 and July 2014. 7/10

August was disappointing. Given my forecast, I was predicting it to be a poorer month compared to June and July but like still it was disappointing for yet another year. When will we get our next classic August like 1947, 1976 and 1995?! I have not got to experience one for myself in my life so far. It was dull, average temperature wise but dry. If it's going to be dull, I'd like it to be wet or very wet. If it's going to be dry, I'd like it to be sunny. 3/10

September was lovely with many nice mornings and afternoons - have them all captured on camera. Ali was probably my favourite storm I've experienced with an exciting day at school. 7/10

October was beautiful, really was. My favourite October I've seen. Like May to July (and February), there was plentiful sunshine to enjoy with even a record frost on the 30th as the nearest official station to me recorded -5c (rounded up). The frost was very visible when I woke up with beautiful cold sunshine. 9/10

November had a decent heavy rainfall event on the 9th and very nice days on the 1st and 18th. Bought a new camera out of a Black Friday sale using my birthday money and captured the moon on that very clear night of the 18th. Otherwise, just a horrible dull, wet and mild month. 3/10

December was atrocious. Nothing exciting whatsoever with exceptionally dull conditions! 1/10, first time I've given a 1/10 since May 2015. 

2018 really did end on a damp squib after an exciting year for the most part. Summer was my favourite part which is ironic considering I'm a "snowbie".

Edited by BruenSryan

Posted
On 03/01/2019 at 07:56, Sunny76 said:

I’m definitely going to visit this spring or summer. What’s the best place to head to, if I’m coming from London? 

Yorkshire Dales for hill walks and pubs and cafes. (Malham popular.) Some good reservoir walks near main urban areas. Even gritty industrial areas in West Yorkshire have some nice walks in hillls between them and along canals. York for history and culture. East and North Yorkshire for cheap (but not nasty) family sandy seaside resorts with nice countryside but chilly sea, and having some important bird reserves such as Bempton cliffs and Spurn Point where it is quieter. Whitby and Scarborough have a bit more history and culture. East and North Yorkshire are also popular with motorcyclists, with a few dedicated cafes for them. Bicycle cafes are popular in some places, depending on whether you want flat or hilly. Less developed areas nice that are pretty to tour by car/motorbike/motorhome are North York Moors, Yorkshire Wolds and Peak District. There are several good country houses and estates in both urban and rural areas - Temple Newsam, Harewood House, Lotherton Hall, Castle Howard. Some good museums - Media in Bradford, Train in York, Medical in Leeds, Steel in Rotherham, Art in Wakefield and York. There''s lots more and good variety. You can't do it all in one visit. If Yorkshire was a couple of degrees warmer, we'd never have to leave for holidays. Mind you, it would cost more and we'd have good competition in the Lake District and Scotland if they were a few degrees warmer, too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A pretty cool animation of the north Atlantic winds during 2018 from nullschool