Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Overview of 2018 - thoughts and summaries

damianslaw

Posted

With just three days left of 2018, thought it an apt time to use this thread to post your musings and thoughts on the weather of 2018.

Three features stand out for me, the first the significant SSW event in Feb, and the cold wintry interlude that followed, especially the extreme cold of 1/2 March.

The second - the excellent period between late April and late July, abundant sunshine, warmth and little rain

The third - the general absence of the atlantic, it has been a very quiet year all round, little in the way of storms, heavy rain/floods - thankfully, and high pressure has largely ruled the roost, and the current synoptics are seeing this still being carried out at a time of year when the atlantic should be in full fifth gear turbo charge power.

Its been quite an interesting year for model watching - guessing where the ever present high pressure decides to position itself going forward, just as we have now, but conversely not very interesting weatherwise, with long periods of sameness.

The last 5 months of 2018 have been devoid of anything especially interesting indeed.

My favourite month was May, quickly followed by June - two superb months. Enjoyed March for its wintriness. April and July also very good in the main. February was a trying month- waiting for the cold weather until its end. All other months - mmm no comment.

Posted

Oh dear this has gone down like a damp squib, had expected a few posts at least.. in most years this has been quite an active thread. Has the current conditions frozen everyone into a hazy glaze when thinking back to this year - not surprised given how becalming it has been, especially since July - we all need waking up.

Posted

The switch from winter to summer in mid April was the most interesting event on the farm when muddy fields became dusty in a week here followed by the extreme dry weather for  most of this year.    We missed out on any snow in February /March on SE winds. Had to to start feeding cattle winter forage in July because pastures were so burnt up. We had a very early harvest similar to  1975/76  and 2003 starting on the 5th of August and finishing on the 12th of August.  Hay sales for horses peaked in March when we broke all previous records selling all the stocks built up in the previous five years. We had another sales record broken in August when horse owners panicked that hay yields in spite of superb quality were low and there would not be enough to see them through the winter and were stocking up months ahead of normal.  Spring barley sown late in mid April went from germinating to ear emergence in under 7 weeks another all time record

We still have a two inch soil moisture deficit here .We have seen almost no mud since mid April  and the soil surface is still dusty in parts although a bit of grass. grew in the autumn as we got some showery rain and we were able to keep cattle out till the first week in December ( another record)   My biggest concern for next year is that we will not get enough rain over the rest of the winter to survive another dry summer.  2018  another year that confirms that extreme weather is becoming the norm.No more three fine days and a thunderstorm in the summer its usually too wet or as  has happened this year too dry

Posted
1 minute ago, Northernlights said:

The switch from winter to summer in mid April was the most interesting event on the farm when muddy fields became dusty in a week here followed by the extreme dry weather for  most of this year.    We missed out on any snow in February /March on SE winds. Had to to start feeding cattle winter forage in July because pastures were so burnt up. We had a very early harvest similar to  1975/76  and 2003 starting on the 5th of August and finishing on the 12th of August.  Hay sales for horses peaked in March when we broke all previous records selling all the stocks built up in the previous five years. We had another sales record broken in August when horse owners panicked that hay yields in spite of superb quality were low and there would not be enough to see them through the winter and were stocking up months ahead of normal.  Spring barley sown late in mid April went from germinating to ear emergence in under 7 weeks another all time record

We still have a two inch soil moisture deficit here .We have seen almost no mud since mid April  and the soil surface is still dusty in parts although a bit of grass. grew in the autumn as we got some showery rain and we were able to keep cattle out till the first week in December ( another record)   My biggest concern for next year is that we will not get enough rain over the rest of the winter to survive another dry summer.  2018  another year that confirms that extreme weather is becoming the norm.No more three fine days and a thunderstorm in the summer its usually too wet or as  has happened this year too dry

Thanks for your comments. Yes the overall feature for many has been the dryness of 2018, not exceptionally so, but it has been consistent with only a few shorter lived wetter episodes. There has been quite a bit of variability as well. Winter 18/19 has started on a relatively dry note - and the current high pressure feature is the reason why. Could do with a wetter period at some stage, preferably now, before cold and snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This year, for the most part, felt quite different to previous years. I think the main things of note were the:

- sunshine amounts in February

- notable cold and snow into March and overall dullness throughout the month

- sudden switch from late winter to early summer within a week in April

- noteworthy sunny period from early May to early August, including two warm sunny Bank Holidays

- exceptionally dry June and most of July

- very sunny October

- lack of wintry conditions in December, even more so than some of the worst Decembers

As many have noted before, this year's overall absence of the Atlantic up until November was quite noticeable, although November and December went against that to a point, and  have essentially brought typical October and November conditions but shunted a month later, resulting in quite a wet end to an otherwise dry year (save for March, which is the wettest month of the year). January was quite a trying a month as, despite being quite settled, it never quite got going with regards to winter, and felt more like a typical December. I think, had it not been for March's snowfalls, it would have also been a trying month, much like December given how dull and wet it was in between. February, however, was somewhat better with some snow in the first week and a lot of sunshine and only one 'wet' day. April was going the same way as March until the sudden change to summerlike conditions. Just a shame that the final weekend, when family things were planned, it was again cold and wet. May, however, was probably the best I can remember. It's so unusual to have such a settled May, that actually felt more like June, but was absolutely gorgeous. Perhaps the biggest let down month was August, the first week of which made up for July's closing days, but then went a bit naff after the 10th - never bad, but not quite summer. September continued in the same vein, slightly more unsettled. I thought October was a lovely month overall with some interesting temperature swings between 20C on the 5th to 10C on the 6th to 23C on the 10th and frosts at the end of the month. So it's a shame to end the year with two such bland months, only saved by thunderstorms in November.

One thing missing from 2018 - thunderstorms! More of those in 2019 please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

A strange year will defo go down as one to remember and not one to forget. Summer 2018 which came along in April and set down for 3 months that blew Summer 2013 right out of the water was the classic highlight of the year, watching world cup games in the sunshine and not rain. Summer 18 was bizarre in a way as it lacked in big continental heat and thunderstorms compared to many hot summers of the past just as winter often lacks in freezing fog and snow compared to winters of the 1980s.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I will remember 2018 as being one of the weirdest years I’ve ever experienced in weather..

January: Quite bland, but typical

February: Quite a sunny month with real cold coming in at the end with biting windchills just as Spring ‘arrives’

March: I will remember for the first BFTE which delivered incredible drifts combined with Storm Emma, and the most snow we’ve seen down here since 2010. Also the first time there’s been lying snow since Feb 2015.

April: Started off as a bore but temperatures climbed midmonth and we saw our first taste of summer, with clear skies and temperatures up into the 20s by around the 18th- also some thunderstorms to break down the heat!

May: My favourite month personally, started off dry and warm with an amazing bank holiday weekend. Nothing too notable for the week after that but temperatures remained above average. Heat picked back up towards the 2nd bank holiday 

June: The World Cup month. Driest month I can remember with some places in the S/SW recording just 2 or 3mm of rainfall. Warm and sunny month despite the odd dull interlude.

July: Another stonker of a month. Very warm and sunny throughout. Breakdown at the end of the month 

August: Temperatures recovered from the breakdown of heat and it stayed warm until about the 10th when things went down hill. Typical August really.

September: Started off warm with some good sunny days, but also chilly nights. A bright month from what I can remember with some interesting events such as Storm Ali and the remains of TS Ernesto

October: A fine month with some nice temperatures even midmonth, also has more frost in October than in December!! Cold at the end of the month.

November: Not much to stay, turned much wetter and windier.

December: Overall mild and dull, as per usual

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Topsy turvy year here just north of Derby with snow in the last week of January,then in the 2nd week of February.1st of March saw the heaviest fall of snow here with 5” falling which then lasted for a week.The last 2 weeks of March were very cold and wet,this delayed building work on our new extension by 2 weeks.We had our last fall of snow on 2nd April.The weather then turned from winter to summer with late April and May being very warm and sunny,if rather windy at times.June and July were wonderfully hot and sunny with clear skies and warm nights.Any forecast thunderstorms failed to materialise and the drought continued.August started fine but a breakdown in the weather occurred as we went on holiday to Whitby.We saw the first significant rain since May on the way there and no sunshine all week.It was too cloudy and cold to even sit on the beach!. The fine weather came back for early September as we went to Norfolk in glorious sunshine.The weather broke again on the 6th of September to more standard sunshine and showers.October and November were average with a mixture of mild and cooler days,though we had 4 consecutive frosts in the last week of November.December,mostly mild but fairly dull and wet at times.Overall a mixed year here,but with a distinct lack of thunderstorms that seems to be a growing trend here now.

Posted

January was quite wintry here in the NW. Quite a number of snow showers at night.

February was again, wintry. The bitterly cold spell at the end was ferocious, daytime temperatures below freezing and frequent blizzards accompanied with a very low windchill temperautre (>-12°C). This was the first time I had experienced a blizzard since 1987 I think. The second easterly snap later on was notable, again for the powder snow and low temperatures. On its own it would have raised a few eyebrows had it occurred during a winter month.

April-May was very settled with lots of sunshine and some very warm temperatures.

Summer was overall excellent. Long warm periods. The second half of August was certainly cool.

September was nondescript (like most September's really) but the mornings were, at times, fresh.

October: Very chilly end to the month. Overall, nondescript. 

November: ....promised some wintry weather but nothing really to speak about. Mostly very mild but with a brief cold spell and easterly winds.

December: Another abysmal December. 

Yeah overall had an amazing first half in terms of variation, and this extended into July and at times during the first half of August. Apart from the cold snap at the end of October, a very poor second half to the year.

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

January:  Nothing comes to memory really, mostly mild and rainy.

February:  Began mostly mild but temperatures dropped rapidly towards the end of the month, recording a high of only 0.5C on the 28th.

March: Began exceptionally cold with an incredible high of only -2.1C on the 1st.  A monthly low of -4.8C was recorded here which was the coldest temperatures of the winter.  7-foot snow drifts as a consequence of Emma made numerous roads impassable and with windchills approaching -14C in the strong winds it felt extremely cold.  My nearest weather station in St. Athan recorded 50cm of level snow.  By mid-month it turned mild for a time, recording a high of 13.9C on the 16th before temperatures plummeted again, recording a high of only 0.7C on the 18th with heavy snow.

April: Mostly unexceptional, recorded a high of 22.4C on the 18th but was otherwise just an average month.

May: A very sunny, dry and pleasant month, recording a high of 26.9C on the 7th.  Daytime temperatures generally around 20C.

June: A warm and sunny month overall, became hot towards the end of the month with a high of 30.3C recorded on the 26th.

July: Was away on holiday until the 12th and returned to hot weather with daytime temperatures generally above 25C, with a high of 29.0C on the 26th.

August: After a hot start with 30.1C recorded on the 5th the weather turned gradually cooler and August came out to be a wetter and cooler month overall.

September: A mix really, some warm and sunny days and at times rainy and cool.

October:  An average month with some notably cold nights towards the end of the month.  In fact, the -3.0C recorded on the 31st has been the colder than any temperature so far this winter.

November: Dry and cool mid-month, otherwise nothing to write home about.

December: Yawn.  What a dreary way to end an exceptional year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

What stood out to me was a spell of absolutely dire weather from around March 28th to April 10th-ish. In that period there was only one day that brought sunny spells, the rest was entirely dull. It was one of the most depressing spells of weather in recent memory, including a foul say on March 30th where it poured and poured and poured. Apart from that obviously the snows of late Feb/early-March which was the snowiest spell for years, as well as the further snow and cold in mid-March. I really liked March overall because despite the wet and cool theme it felt proper, mild Marches have been way to dominant since 1988. I said about the dull spell but just a week later we had that freak-April heatwave which I personally didn't like as it felt most unseasonable. May was a very pleasant month with one fond memory on the 20th which I set out early in the morning for a walk and there were clear blue skies and some truly mesmerizing views with temperatures rather chilly for the time of year. Just a week later it was very balmy with those exceptional thunderstorms. I remember late 26th looking up at the night sky and seeing these big towering thunderclouds build overhead. Also the 29th saw some very heavy rainfall here. After that there was no measurable rain to speak of in June which is probably the best summer month I can remember. Constantly fine, warm and dry. The spell from June 24th-30th was amazing under that high pressure. Hot by day but never all that humid. I enjoyed the first-half of July, too, but the second-half not so much. I remember the shocking switch on the July 29th after weeks of hot and dry weather it was cool, cloudy and windy, yet within a few days back to hot and dry. What also stands out is the period from August 7th to the 12th in which every day brought at least one torrential downpour/thunderstorm. Aug 10th saw an amazing shower around evening time. At one point one half of the sky was completely blue and the other half black, all while some of the heaviest rain I've seen. Poor neighbour was running in with Tesco bags and got drowned in it! After that there's not too much of note apart from the very chilly end to October, as well as some torrential downpours mid-November. The quicker I forget this December the better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

An interesting year, well until mid-August when things have become more non-descript.

The wintry blast in late February was truly something, not an awful lot of snow but some quite extraordinary daytime temperatures. A repeat happened in March with a little more snowfall.

Then the period up to mid-April which brought concerns regarding flooding impacting the crops in this part of the world, only for the rain to simply stop and it would not rain much for the next four months.

May/Early June were disappointing as frequent winds between the north and east resulted in gloomy conditions only for this to improve in late June with July getting very close to the extraordinary summer month of July 2006. Many days topped close to 30C with fairly low humidity, but there was a brief spike in late July which was something I have never quite experience in the UK, temperatures close to 35C with almost tropical levels of humidity, to have these temperatures with large amounts of cloud cover and thunderstorms was quite something (not so much for my wife who was 8 months pregnant though).

The real focal point of this year has been how weak the westerlies have been with frequent prolonged spells of dry weather, yet rainfall totals have been raised by the fact that when rain did arrive i tended to linger due to the same slow moving longwave patterns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The first event of note here was the cold in late Feb and early March with gave the most snow for years here. Also a couple of ice days which is very rare for here. 

742E2675-9BBD-401E-A7D9-E57F0FA0A737.thumb.jpeg.af7659290ad0bd8734f3a8fc8cf05687.jpeg7D9D123F-2860-4618-8E9E-AC4A5E617F13.thumb.jpeg.35135497947f2bd06152c2e224712a06.jpeg

The earlier of the two snow events also saw another rare occurance, that being freezing rain. 

215EE51E-325E-4683-92B7-4C48FBD57F75.thumb.jpeg.b1a013133396f54f93a03edf03e7e79b.jpeg

Then there was a decent storm on 21st April which had frequent lightning that went on for some time although it turned out to be the only proper thunderstorm all year. There was another more distant storm on 26th May which produced a decent show but nothing on the 21st April. (I've posted a couple of clips in the storm and convective thread recently from those storms). I also took the picture below on 29th May which turned the lightning was nearly 100 miles away. 

image.png.e4ef9fdcc98de03bf678686430765351.png

Apart from that the only other obvious thing of note was the very dry spell during the early part of summer, although it wasn’t hot here like it was inland it was still an exceptional spell of dry, warm to very warm weather. 

06C10163-AB53-4CE6-B61B-8E8DDEE1EB45.thumb.jpeg.b2613acec0c61036a497fd1e5246cd55.jpeg

The latter part of the year has been rather nondescript with nothing of note to speak of. Maybe the lack of frosts in December is worth mentioning. 

Could've done with some more thunderstorms but apart from that it hasn’t been a bad year overall weather wise, even if it has ended on a rather drab note. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

It’s been a great year here in Ne England! January brought 3 days of lying snow, February 2, then March 5. Also had the deepest snow level since Jan 2013 if not Dec 2010.19E61867-A5D0-48D4-A2F1-6C2E23FD5C49.thumb.jpeg.8ed7839cbada5c95bc9d99cc079e70b1.jpeg 

Then turned very wet for a time before the first heatwave(relative to month) in April. C2343808-4304-47A3-8E74-5351CEE061E0.thumb.jpeg.0d7678890ff481ef446ebcb6f1ce30cf.jpegIt soon went downhill after a few days but by the start of May a big change was underway to record sunshine levels between 1-21 May. 9E7669B5-FFA9-4D40-A890-85DC50A98D47.thumb.jpeg.3cd2ed5fd72b8029960e25581e616bee.jpegMay ended on a cool, cloudy note and carried on through June. By the last third of June the weather changed for good and brought much sunnier, very warm conditions which lasted through early August with a memorable thunderstorm in the last week of July, the lightning, thunder, the best I’ve seen in my life! Unsettled weather then lasted through August and September with heavy rain causing flooding around the autumn equinox. It felt like winter on high ground as the wind came in from the Ne wrapped round a area of low pressure. October saw a improvement to dryer conditions once again before a very cold last week! In November a milder pattern did take over and continued through December with a mostly kind, benign end to Autumn, early winter. The one day which did come in very cold being the middle of December with wind chill factor of -6c but was brief and short-lived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Great year weatherwise. Had the beast from the east, followed by a long hot summer with some really great storm events, last part was a bit meh, but certainly had worse years!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

What sticks out in my mind was a rather cold February helped by the mini beast from the East which brought four consecutive ice days to Sheffield . I even had to dig snow drifts away from the front door before going to work. A throw back to winters of the late seventies and early eighties. Sadly a short lived affair.

Next the dry period from May to August and the hot summer which nicely lacked humid nights and allowed for comfortable sleeping. Even when hitting 90 degrees in July the night was a cool 56F.

Autumn saw a sudden halt in hot months with temperatures returning to normal. The big event was the 70.5mm of rain that fell mainly a few hours during the afternoon. The event exposed the confusing warning system. It certainly warranted a red warning from north wales all the way across to east Yorkshire. Alas there was none despite flooding and choas in the effected regions.The 70.5mm was more than a months rainfall.

Early Snow in October and November led the way to a snow free December which despite being very mild managed to produce a freezing rain event. Strangely the Met office also forecast Snow despite indications clearly indicating this wouldn't the case apart from northern Scotland and parts of Eastern England. Strange warnings for Snow issued despite evidence days ahead supporting only freezing rain. Warnings for Snow remained in place despite being a clear no no for the majority of areas under the warning area which they must have been aware off. Luckily there was one for freezing rain which was correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

2018 was an outstanding year of UK weather in many ways, and also for model watching.  Before the Feb 2018 SSW came into view, I was an occasional poster on here since joining in 2013.  That changed everything, we had the Beast from the East, the second one, the cold extension to winter, the sudden flip to hot mid April, the year with literally no spring.   Massive ramp up in my interest and have followed the model output avidly ever since.

And then the summer like we've not seen for ages.  ☀️  And from a forecasting point of view all of this was predictable from some way out, I think.  

Autumn a little unremarkable.  December may have swerved the potential cold from a weak tropospheric vortex, and been boring weather wise towards the end of the year, but watching the events in the stratosphere unfold has been anything but boring, and its effects will surely be felt in 2019.  Don't think I'll be taking a break from model viewing or posting any time soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Thought i'd post my heatmaps for various data.

Temperatures:

wareham-weather-heat-map.thumb.png.250a880fb74237ba75a15f70d882c77c.png

Dewpoints:

996068837_wareham-weather-heat-map(1).thumb.png.693a9f4427125aa521a913350e5b6e22.png

Humidity:

212265287_wareham-weather-heat-map(8).thumb.png.0c3c650cf38eaa36ebc36500da8f5826.png

Wind Gusts:

729390406_wareham-weather-heat-map(2).thumb.png.7a17621218e92f0ab1e330e143c9160a.png

Wind Speeds:

1962481387_wareham-weather-heat-map(3).thumb.png.9117a97870ad6b691d4b9fb480f8ab29.png

Wind Directions:

776847371_wareham-weather-heat-map(4).thumb.png.df62b615ed42b0aaf56f360392b2bd57.png

Rain Rates:

980099455_wareham-weather-heat-map(5).thumb.png.1fbd2186412cd8f7ceef6b5987419ac0.png

Solar Irradiation:

888386712_wareham-weather-heat-map(7).thumb.png.f4e46ee1f0b4dae3d943b1a795aa955e.png

Sunshine Percentages:

169698190_wareham-weather-heat-map(6).thumb.png.db0a1183d13716ab9a71ccd47941d15b.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
21 hours ago, Matthew. said:

It’s been a great year here in Ne England! January brought 3 days of lying snow, February 2, then March 5. Also had the deepest snow level since Jan 2013 if not Dec 2010.19E61867-A5D0-48D4-A2F1-6C2E23FD5C49.thumb.jpeg.8ed7839cbada5c95bc9d99cc079e70b1.jpeg 

Then turned very wet for a time before the first heatwave(relative to month) in April. C2343808-4304-47A3-8E74-5351CEE061E0.thumb.jpeg.0d7678890ff481ef446ebcb6f1ce30cf.jpegIt soon went downhill after a few days but by the start of May a big change was underway to record sunshine levels between 1-21 May. 9E7669B5-FFA9-4D40-A890-85DC50A98D47.thumb.jpeg.3cd2ed5fd72b8029960e25581e616bee.jpegMay ended on a cool, cloudy note and carried on through June. By the last third of June the weather changed for good and brought much sunnier, very warm conditions which lasted through early August with a memorable thunderstorm in the last week of July, the lightning, thunder, the best I’ve seen in my life! Unsettled weather then lasted through August and September with heavy rain causing flooding around the autumn equinox. It felt like winter on high ground as the wind came in from the Ne wrapped round a area of low pressure. October saw a improvement to dryer conditions once again before a very cold last week! In November a milder pattern did take over and continued through December with a mostly kind, benign end to Autumn, early winter. The one day which did come in very cold being the middle of December with wind chill factor of -6c but was brief and short-lived.

Where do you live? Those places look nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A strange one really. Probably the best summer for a generation from a sun/warmth perspective, Beast from the East was superb, but I didn't hear a single rumble of thunder in the UK which is terrible. November and December were garbage.

Posted

May-July 2018 was the most remarkable period of weather for those calendar months combined that I can recall. Truely exceptional, sunshine levels were phenomenonal. "Summer" index for that period was 296, summer 1995 had an index of 297. This shows how amazing it was, the standout for 2018 for me.

The Beast from the East did not provide deep snow but seeing ground blizzards and drifting snow at near sea level was something.

August-December 2018 were less impressive, infact the year ended in a very disappointing way. Shame, it could have been up there with say 1995. 

Posted

2018 was certainly a year to remember for many I'd assume, probably the best year for weather since 2010 for me. 

From my position in East Kent my perspective was as follows 

Jan 2018 - Opened up with a very wet week with incessant rain. Days slowly became calmer and brighter but remained fairly chilly throughout.

Feb 2018 - Sudden warming of the Arctic dropped temps in Europe and allowed for the 'Beast from the East' to plow into our coastline on Feb 28th. I was up in Svalbard during the alleged Arctic Warming and didn't notice a thing   temps were between -8 and -20C is that warm? A cold month overall. 

March 2018 - Very cold first 3 days as the blowing snow continued to fall and settle. Some amazing wintry scenes caught and spring was delayed again. Spring looked like it may be arriving a week later with temps reaching 10C but snow soon returned mid-month. The snow died out within a few days and during the final week we had constant rain. Overall snowy and very wet certainly not spring like.  

April 2018 - Fairly calm month overall with Spring like temps for about a week (12-16C). However a cold snap returned during the last week with heavy rains. 

May 2018 - The month which began the long dry summer. No rains between 1st and 22nd May and it was fairly warm. A freak Thundershower on the 29th May brought much needed rain. 

June 2018 - Dry, Sunny and Warm throughout. June 7th and June 26th were the only two days it rained. 

July 2018 - Excessive Heat throughout, no rain until July 27th and it was again much needed. Plenty of ''Tropical Night'' temperatures (18C-19C) and the highest temp recorded was 33C. 

August 2018 - Fairly warm and sunny but much wetter. Temperatures receded a little and weren't so oppressive as July, day or night. 

September 2018 - A dry month with little rain again but temperatures were mild. Unremarkable really. 

October, November, December 2018 - Probably the most boring months of the year. Mainly Dull and Wet throughout - Very mild. November was very dark and it incessantly rained. There were a few cold snaps interspersed with a few flurries of snow over the hills but nothing special. 

So overall an exciting first half of the year and a Summer which was equatable to that of 1976, although most of my family members recall 1976 as being much drier and hotter. A typical solar minimum year then - A long cold Winter with virtually no spring before a sultry dry long Summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve never been to Yorkshire. Looks a world away from London and the crowds.

I would highly recommend it! The biggest and best county in England by a long shot. :D

1 hour ago, Matthew. said:

North Yorkshire area:oldsmile:

Just to check Matthew, do you live in the Marton near Cleveland or the small village near Pickering?