Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, Rambo said:

After that comment, I'll change my comment.....you'd be penniless instead lol

Just as well I'm not a meteorologist!  I'm well aware that the Law of Averages is rubbish, but what is accurate is that our winters tend to be mild, so, in any one winter, it's more likely to be snowless away from NW Scotland and high ground.

Posted

Controversial thought - is study of the stratosphere simply an interesting area of research but without any application to the actual weather?  In other words, does it actually do anything?

Posted
8 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Just as well I'm not a meteorologist!  I'm well aware that the Law of Averages is rubbish, but what is accurate is that our winters tend to be mild, so, in any one winter, it's more likely to be snowless away from NW Scotland and high ground.

Define snowless because I have never seen a snowless winter.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Define snowless because I have never seen a snowless winter.

OK, nothing remaining on grass/natural ground cover for more than a minute or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

I haven't made too many friends on the north west regional thread having predicted a downgrade in Tuesdays event which was set to hit the region and the cold period that was speculated to follow. 

BBC seem to be going with the Tuesday band not being anything significant which was our regions best hope.

Disappointing but not surprised, it has happened so many times over the years!!

Posted
2 hours ago, Barmada Casten said:

I haven't made too many friends on the north west regional thread having predicted a downgrade in Tuesdays event which was set to hit the region and the cold period that was speculated to follow. 

BBC seem to be going with the Tuesday band not being anything significant which was our regions best hope.

You mean the 0z ECM didnt make much of tuesday lol

Posted
On 26 December 2018 at 18:38, Barmada Casten said:

In my 15th year on this forum, this is the worst winter by a LONG way.

I only spotted this post and I'm suprised you say this at the time because what about December 2015? I assume you were in Cumbria during that month? Surely that was the worst with all the rain, flooding and the mildness? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
8 hours ago, Barmada Casten said:

Yep, looking like a none starter for most, This winter is proving especially hard, models etc. promising so much, but delivering so little...

• Like 1

Models promise nothing ,especially beyond 5 days ,until we get a model that is more than 80% accurate beyond 7 days then we will be able to feel we've been lied to ,these models all of them change from run to run ,I gave up believing them years ago and this year they haven't improved at all if anything they have got worse , which proves that no one or no computer  model still can't understand or predict the weather and what's going on in our atmospere 

Posted

well i have to say last night was colder than forecast, here we are at 8.30am and the temp is -4.8c, very frosty, a cracking sun rise and looks to be a beautiful winters day, as we are not getting any snow this winter then this will do, also its that cold my half marathon training run will be a bit quicker to keep warm, lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I only spotted this post and I'm suprised you say this at the time because what about December 2015? I assume you were in Cumbria during that month? Surely that was the worst with all the rain, flooding and the mildness? 

Even in these pennine hills I only recall one other year that we had to wait until the 3rd week of January to get our first snowcover (although we did get a brief dusting on ground above 400m last month)

Posted

Does that extend back to the 70s? We had a few brutal winters then and I don't remember any snow before New Year. Snow was considered a January to April thing, with a few older hands remembering snow in June once.

At football yesterday, I was told there was still lying snow at Queensbury and Malham. I might add it was piggin cold - the car said 1C when I parked up and 2C when I left.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Since we're not having much luck here, here's a cold Stockholm to admire. ❄️❄️

q3KTwYB.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

we have gone from snowmageddon charts three days ago, to people saying things like 'during Feb, something may pop up'

As Mark Sudduth once said, hope is not a good planning tool. I'm looking for more

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
On 19/01/2019 at 16:06, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

After February 2018 we were never going to get a cold one this year.

That is not true, we have got half the winter left still!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

we have gone from snowmageddon charts three days ago, to people saying things like 'during Feb, something may pop up'

As Mark Sudduth once said, hope is not a good planning tool. I'm looking for more

Forecast is correct in the sense that the predictions made a few days ago will happen, it is now looking like it will take longer for the blocking pattern to develop due to the us winter storm taking longer to move across the atlantic and down the North Sea into the mediterranean. This was supposed to happen at he middle of next week however it is now being taken to Scandinavia first, pushing the high pressure, that would have given us the cold easterly flow, into Russia. After that point, the same low will move down the North Sea (still uncertain though) and into France and then the Mediterranean by the start of the week beginning 28th of January allowing high pressure to re establish itself and build over Scandinavia and then there is the increasing chance of easterly winds so it still may happen, just a little delayed as the ssw event is causing very slow changes this time round as opposed to last year’s one which happened very quickly.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

That is not true, we have got half the winter left still!

Deliberately provocative post on my part, old chap.  There was a sense when I typed it that we were somehow "owed" cold weather as the first half of winter was so uninteresting; I was pointing out that we had an incredible end to winter last year and that to expect such a setup two years in succession was unrealistic*.

*Of course, the probability of a particular outcome this winter is unaffected by the outcome last year, but the probability of those conditions in two consecutive winters is pretty low, at least for the southern half of the UK.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Deliberately provocatie post on my part, old chap.

Oh ok, well this is a weather discussion with banter in the title after all, I forgot about that

Posted
6 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Deliberately provocative post on my part, old chap.  There was a sense when I typed it that we were somehow "owed" cold weather as the first half of winter was so uninteresting; I was pointing out that we had an incredible end to winter last year and that to expect such a setup two years in succession was unrealistic*.

*Of course, the probability of a particular outcome this winter is unaffected by the outcome last year, but the probability of those conditions in two consecutive winters is pretty low, at least for the southern half of the UK.

It happened consecutively in 2009/2010 though so you never know

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

It happened consecutively in 2009/2010 though so you never know

Absolutely - it's just less likely.

Posted
38 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Absolutely - it's just less likely.

I think, judging by the latest ec, icon and gfs models, they appear to be converging on the idea of building pressure over Scandinavia by 28th/29th or at least by the turn of the month, obviously still extremely uncertain. And the low that comes out of the US this Monday (the winter storm) will race across the North Atlantic past Iceland and into Scandinavia, almost bumping the high pressure, that was supposed to have built by the middle of the week, into north west Russia, opening the door to westerly or northwesterly winds which would be less cold. The building pressure over Scandinavia is showing signs of returning by the end of this month if the low moves down the North Sea and into the Mediterranean like it says which would give us a strong easterly airflow and snow showers hitting eastern parts of the uk. Currently it all depends where the us storm moves. Hopefully this will all unfold but it is just impossible to ascertain at this stage. I’m watching the weather like a hawk at the moment!

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
9 hours ago, Aleman said:

Does that extend back to the 70s? We had a few brutal winters then and I don't remember any snow before New Year. Snow was considered a January to April thing, with a few older hands remembering snow in June once.

At football yesterday, I was told there was still lying snow at Queensbury and Malham. I might add it was piggin cold - the car said 1C when I parked up and 2C when I left.

Certainly back to the early seventies.I lived at 340m and snow in December,November and even October was a more frequent event than these modern times.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Certainly back to the early seventies.I lived at 340m and snow in December,November and even October was a more frequent event than these modern times.

Strange, I lived at just under 1000 feet and don't remember any early snow, though I don't quite recall the early 70s - just the snowier winters of the later 70s that started late, as I recall. It was said amongst farmers that snowier winters started later. I don't know if they still say the same, though.

Posted

i see the ecm 46 has shifted away from the direction as shown for the last few weeks. another disappointment