Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

The full moon coinciding with the winter solstice meant it was almost as high in the sky as it can get, hence the moonlight appeared stronger. Plus it was near perigee so would have appeared slightly larger.

Next full moon is a special one (21st Jan), a total lunar eclipse with all stages visible from the UK.

I hope we get clear skies!

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Next full moon is a special one (21st Jan), a total lunar eclipse with all stages visible from the UK.

I hope we get clear skies!

The general rule of thumb is that any interesting astronomical event in the UK will be greeted by overcast skies.

• Like 1

Posted

Alarm bells are beginning to ring for me now..While i remain quietly optimistic of changes in January there is absolutely no evidence that the chinese water torture (Strong northern arm to the jet) is going to relent as far as the eye(or models) can see..

Hope my instincts are wrong here but there is no way getting away from the fact that the NWP is dreadful for coldies..i cant see any chinks of light anywhere..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Alarm bells are beginning to ring for me now..While i remain quietly optimistic of changes in January there is absolutely no evidence that the chinese water torture (Strong northern arm to the jet) is going to relent as far as the eye(or models) can see..

Hope my instincts are wrong here but there is no way getting away from the fact that the NWP is dreadful for coldies..i cant see any chinks of light anywhere..

Not so bad oop norf at 202m asl, living there I'd be optimistic a lot more, imagine living here, expecting no cold and snow is realistic

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Not so bad oop norf at 202m asl, living there I'd be optimistic a lot more, imagine living here, expecting no cold and snow is realistic

The problem my location has is there is too much influence from the irish sea- my best hope is easterlies as march this year proved wonderfully..

NE/ENE/E winds good for me snow wise, SE rubbish due to the peak district and NW have to be -10 uppers and how oftern do we see those?

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The problem my location has is there is too much influence from the irish sea- my best hope is easterlies as march this year proved wonderfully..

NE/ENE/E winds good for me snow wise, SE rubbish due to the peak district and NW have to be -10 uppers and how oftern do we see those?

get any this day? none here, Stockport had feet of snaw, horrible day this

archives-2009-12-20-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I just hope we don't have to endure weeks of the limpet high close to the UK or just to the south of us and then see a pattern change back to the Atlantic rather than colder conditions...if so many global models and forecasts for January onwards will be bust!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

I just hope we don't have to endure weeks of the limpet high close to the UK or just to the south of us and then see a pattern change back to the Atlantic rather than colder conditions...if so many global models and forecasts for January onwards will be bust!

Am i the only getting that familiar sinking feeling?

Posted
Just now, Froze were the Days said:

will happen most likely, like a 'reset' then hopefully cold after that, early Feb, or say around same time as last year

Posted
30 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

been eating too much plum duff and its not Xmas yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Beautiful sunny morning up here. Everything white with frost. Current temp -0.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Norrance said:

Beautiful sunny morning up here. Everything white with frost. Current temp -0.5C.

Total opposite down here, mild with slate grey skies with drizzle nearby although not overhead at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Total opposite down here, mild with slate grey skies with drizzle nearby although not overhead at the moment. 

Yes unfortunately for us after another clear frosty night tonight the dull and damp weather seems to be heading this way too.

Posted
6 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

been eating too much plum duff and its not Xmas yet!

Not sure what christmas has to do with it John?

I'm referring to the lack of any signs / signals of change from the NWP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I know this comes up a lot at this time of year...I'd give the model watching a break (I know it's addictive at this time of year) - have a few beers and enjoy Xmas and come back in a couple of days, the Strat update by then should be a bit clearer but we might see a difference in some NWP outputs?

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

I know this comes up a lot at this time of year...I'd give the model watching a break (I know it's addictive at this time of year) - have a few beers and enjoy Xmas and come back in a couple of days, the Strat update by then should be a bit clearer but we might see a difference in some NWP outputs?

Yes, im off to have christmas dinner soon, off tomorrow then back in work until the 31st..

Posted

Got to admit first time today I'm having doubts! Everything been looking promising but today I'm starting to swing the other way and question the response from this ssw. And to be honest the Met office update is a slight climb down in what they had been saying. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not sure what christmas has to do with it John?

I'm referring to the lack of any signs / signals of change from the NWP.

lighten up lad, the weather will do as it wants, quite often regardless of what the models do or do not show. It is also very good at making mugs out of any of us that try to forecast using the models. I seriously wonder if no models should be available outside the official weather centres beyond T+120=5 days. Back to the old days of watching the weather folk on BBC!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, johnholmes said:

lighten up lad, the weather will do as it wants, quite often regardless of what the models do or do not show. It is also very good at making mugs out of any of us that try to forecast using the models. I seriously wonder if no models should be available outside the official weather centres beyond T+120=5 days. Back to the old days of watching the weather folk on BBC!

Aye, your right John, think the weeks of wind and rain get me down ...

PS i used to love watching Jack Scott on the beeb, fond memories for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely day here..if it were late March, wall to wall sunshine and feeling ok outside at 9c. I have been doing spring cleaning yesterday and today, certainly feels like Springtime already. If its any milder tomorrow I will open the patio doors so we can have cocktails on the patio in the sunshine.

Still think it might turn colder in mid January, hopefully it won't be just Greece that cops it...charts are looking horrible though, might all change very quickly though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
37 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Aye, your right John, think the weeks of wind and rain get me down ...

PS i used to love watching Jack Scott on the beeb, fond memories for me

In some ways it was much more exciting when all that we had was the weekly forecast for farmers, it got it wrong sometimes but it was certainly something to look forward to once a week. I remember that I would go mad if I missed it...them were the days.☺️

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Lovely day here..if it were late March, wall to wall sunshine and feeling ok outside at 9c. I have been doing spring cleaning yesterday and today, certainly feels like Springtime already. If its any milder tomorrow I will open the patio doors so we can have cocktails on the patio in the sunshine.

Still think it might turn colder in mid January, hopefully it won't be just Greece that cops it...charts are looking horrible though, might all change very quickly though.

especially GFS parallel in FI, looks horrid, away from hilly areas oop norf

gfs-0-348.png?6gfs-0-372.png?6

Posted

P.S...

Am I moaning enough to be on here, or should I be on another thread?

• Like 1