Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Well our Summers are definitely turning more continental like, when was the last truly cool UK summer? Think you have to go back all the way to 1987. The 80's were alot cooler than now and Winters alot more interesting. Even getting cold setups doesn't guarantee you proper cold anymore, the cold pooling just isn't as deep as it once was. All our seasons are getting warmer than normal now, we haven't had a cold Spring in along time either. This winter has been absolutely dreadful, seen many people out in t-shirts it's been that mild. At least things are cooling down now with colder air entering our slug high, only to what you should be getting though, nothing out of the ordinary and the form horse is a slow sinker.

Really? 2013 wasn't a long time ago and it was something like the coldest Spring for 50 years. A good chunk of trees around here were still bare in late May.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Really? 2013 wasn't a long time ago and it was something like the coldest Spring for 50 years. A good chunk of trees around here were still bare in late May.

And to add to that, March is a spring month and it wasn't exactly mild last year, plus a dumping in March 2016, plus one in April 2012.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Are we back to hunting instead of waiting again

We're still waiting... though I compare the 'hunt for cold' comparable to the 'hunt for bigfoot' - very mythical beast (sometimes from the east sometimes from the Pacific north west) which could be stirring in the distance and it's different from the norm and blurry in nature but might be making a move towards us, when it gets close there will be nervous excitement. Just hope it's not the normal hoax.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

On the whole though the events you're mentioning are generally quite sporadic...not saying you won't experience cold anomaly months any more they're becoming infrequent compared to the rash of mild/warm anomaly months. In my opinion too summers particularly in the south/south east are becoming warmer and no doubt Spring months and Autumn ones are too. Last poorish summer was 2012! last cool winter 2013!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
17 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

On the whole though the events you're mentioning are generally quite sporadic...not saying you won't experience cold anomaly months any more they're becoming infrequent compared to the rash of mild/warm anomaly months. In my opinion too summers particularly in the south/south east are becoming warmer and no doubt Spring months and Autumn ones are too. Last poorish summer was 2012! last cool winter 2013!

I reckon we're having more extremes of both cold and hot. Like this year we didn't really have a Spring, we just seemed to go right into an early Summer after the very snowy cold March. Whereas in 2013 we didn't have a Spring then too but it was the opposite to this year in that Winter lingered on and on and then we had that notably hot July. A year earlier we had a remarkably warm March (all the more crazy given how cold the following March was) and then notably chilly April with snow. Again wild swings of cold and warmth in relatively short spaces of time.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
2 hours ago, Eugene said:

Well our Summers are definitely turning more continental like, when was the last truly cool UK summer? Think you have to go back all the way to 1987. The 80's were alot cooler than now and Winters alot more interesting. Even getting cold setups doesn't guarantee you proper cold anymore, the cold pooling just isn't as deep as it once was. All our seasons are getting warmer than normal now, we haven't had a cold Spring in along time either. This winter has been absolutely dreadful, seen many people out in t-shirts it's been that mild. At least things are cooling down now with colder air entering our slug high, only to what you should be getting though, nothing out of the ordinary and the form horse is a slow sinker.

The last cool summer was 2012, and before that I would say 1993 and 98 were up there. 2002 was a stinker of a summer, despite being warmer than average. 

The 2007-12 summers were pretty bad and some of those were quite cold and cloudy at times. Only 1985-88 summers were worse.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

The last cool summer was 2012, and before that I would say 1993 and 98 were up there. 2002 was a stinker of a summer, despite being warmer than average. 

The 2007-12 summers were pretty bad and some of those were quite cold and cloudy at times. Only 1985-88 summers were worse.

2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes it was still very cold in May and early June that year. The second half of winter was very cold that year. I think 2013 was the last time we saw a number of below average months. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes, I know what you are saying. In general months on the whole have become milder, month on month in the UK since November 1987. Funnily enough, the year when Christmas Day was very warm and sunny in London and most of england. 

That said, despite the warming, we still get a Feb 1991, and a December 2010, March 2013. So, the very cold weather can and still will happen. 

Summers have generally become better post 1987, but that’s not to say we haven’t had and still won’t get poor summers. There’s quite a few bad ones I can remember from the 2000s and 2010s, that were equally bad for cloudyness and cold, when compared to the 80s.

Posted
52 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I reckon we're having more extremes of both cold and hot. Like this year we didn't really have a Spring, we just seemed to go right into an early Summer after the very snowy cold March. Whereas in 2013 we didn't have a Spring then too but it was the opposite to this year in that Winter lingered on and on and then we had that notably hot July. A year earlier we had a remarkably warm March (all the more crazy given how cold the following March was) and then notably chilly April with snow. Again wild swings of cold and warmth in relatively short spaces of time.

April was still quite chilly for the first half in London and the south east during 2018. Real warmth didn’t hit until late april.

Posted
9 minutes ago, P-M said:

Please change tact then for your own sake.  Bigfoot is a myth with no science as such to back it up.  The hunt for cold has all the essentials of modern scientific "things" to back it up.  So eyes down and lap up the background signals (as shown) and also the rather knowledgeable members posts on here  - I'd wage you'll find cold before big foot :-))

Blimey someone has lost his sense of humour in the New Year  ...it was all based around the wording 'Hunt for' rather than being scientifically based or even serious!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Blimey someone has lost his sense of humour in the New Year  ...it was all based around the wording 'Hunt for' rather than being scientifically based or even serious!

I know, my sarcastic charm clearly hasn't impressed you I apologise!  Mostly tongue in cheek and no offence meant.  More just to highlight that we're looking at signals and potentials that don't appear often.  Got to see some positives in that.

Edited by P-M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, P-M said:

I know, my sarcastic charm clearly hasn't impressed you I apologise!  Mostly tongue in cheek and no offence meant.  More just to highlight that we're looking at signals and potentials that don't appear often.  Got to see some positives in that.

Hunt for the Yeti might have been a tad more appropriate?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well I want a repeat of Feb '91 or '96, but too much too ask, not had many decent Feb's in the m/e, only '09 I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
15 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Hunt for bigfoot christmas and beyond

Lol hi Bigfoot can you go into the hunt for cold thread and ask about ssw.

And ask a certain member where they get an easterly setting in for next week from

Thankyou Bigfoot i believe in you and santa. Take care next week in the blizzards thanks too ssw. Xx

Edited by sorepaw1

Posted

this member is annoying, posted tonight, no charts ever to back things up, convinced of cold late Nov, Wrong, then Dec, Wrong, same every year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Lol hi Bigfoot can you go into the hunt for cold tread and ask about ssw.

And ask a certain member where they get an easterly setting in for next week from

Thankyou Bigfoot i believe in you and santa. Take care next week in the blizzards thanks too ssw. Xx

I think they got the easterly from cloud cuckoo land where i live with aliens the loch ness monster and Santa who is currently off his head on jack daniels, best wishes bigfoot.

1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

this member is annoying, posted tonight, no charts ever to back things up, convinced of cold late Nov, Wrong, then Dec, Wrong, same every year

who is this member i wonder, would be murrgnificent to find out

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

I think they got the easterly from cloud cuckoo land where i live with aliens the loch ness monster and Santa who is currently off his head on jack daniels, best wishes bigfoot.

who is this member i wonder, would be murrgnificent to find out

it would be, Blast! you guessed wrong

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

it would be, Blast! you guessed wrong

thanks for the clue lol the one i thought it was isn't much better 

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

The charts are showing cooler air from the North this week under high pressure but unless we look at T216 to T240 which does indicate colder air all in all its relatively mild speaking. 

Unless we get a scandi high 1050mb or higher. Or a Greenland high 1055mb theres not much to speak off .

We might get a 4 day northerly at some point .. i suppose its good for everyone who likes snow me included..

I view charts daily and other teleconnetics but as yet  i don't  see a disruption to the cooler milder airflow.

If i did i would say and be the first to supply charts and evidence to support my claims..

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A repeat of Feb 2009 would be good.

Indeed if i remember i was stuck behind 97 stranded cars on the B1249 in East Yorkshire it made BBC News24..

I turned round in my Subaru and did a 30 mile round trip in blizzards back to North Yorkshire.. fond memories lol

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Indeed if i remember i was stuck behind 97 stranded cars on the B1249 in East Yorkshire it made BBC News24..

I turned round in my Subaru and did a 30 mile round trip in blizzards back to North Yorkshire.. fond memories lol

did you have winter tyres on