Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
6 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Most people would probably say that air con isn't a necessity in this country, and more a luxury....

A bit crass to tell people who are cold just to put a jumper on rather than use heating. Last winter there were 50,000 excess deaths. 9,000 of those were attributed to the colder weather, while around 1,000 excess deaths were attributed to the heat last summer - and that was one of the hottest on record. It's clear as day the cold is the more dangerous of the two in this country. Heating is essential. 

Oh dear! Well you missed the point entirely lol 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

whatever your preference it is nonetheless easier to get warm when you are cold than vice versa ? Here in Surrey air con seems to be very popular and is almost becoming the norm.. its the warm nights that seem to necessitate it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
7 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Aircon ? leaving in Sheffield,your  avin  a laugh  You only get 2 or 3 days a year when it might come in handy ,it’s never been needed in this country.

Only people that would have it installed are those folk who like to brag to the neighbours they have more money than them,or people with more money than sense.

Ridicoulous indeed.

Complete horse crap, I've never been interested in showing off and am not rich so couldn't anyway, what a sweeping and ludicrous statement. My house and the previous one are generally hot of a night from May to September and I find anything over 22c uncomfortable to sleep in so for me it's something I've always wanted. We're all different.

Edited by James1979
  • Like 5

I posted this in my regional thread but wanted to moan some more ha.

I was looking at the Worlds snowiest cities and I'm dumbfounded at this one. 

3rd Snowiest city in the world Toyoma Japan, 3.8m of snow. That's 12ft 5.6 inches of snow on average each year. Almost all falls December to March. Now this is the crazy part. 

Toyoma climate data 1981-2010

December average high 9.6c / low 2.4 / record low -8.4. Average snowfall 22 inches 

January average high 6c / low -0.1 / record low -11.9c. Average snowfall 63 inches. 

February average high 6.8c / low -0.3 / record low -11.1c. Average snowfall 49 inches. 

March average high 10.9c / low 2.2c / record low -7. Average snowfall 14 inches. 

As I'm inland and close to the border with Northern Ireland I checked the Met Office climate data for Northern Ireland 1981-2010. It has a lot of individual stations to check with big differences between coastal and inland however this is the average of all. 

December average high 7.3c / low 1.7c / record low Castlederg -18.7c

January average high 7c / low 1.4c 

February average high 7.4c / low 1.2c

March average high 9.6c / low 2.4c. 

Now as you can see it's pretty similar average temperature wise. Our averages reflect that the mild SW winds are our predominant wind direction. However from them to receive so much snow yet have such mild averages is mind blowing to me lol. 

We hit 55° degrees North of the equator, they're a mere 36° degrees North of the equator. Seville in the extreme south of Spain is further North at 37° degrees. It just shows how incredible unfortunate we are when it comes to snowfall. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

give the tv forecasts a miss for a while. exceptional mild is forecast for the end of the week, and combined with a cheesy smile. love the way they assume everyone loves it very warm.

Kids on half-term, i'm sure they'd prefer to be enjoying some snow at this time of year.. if we actually had a winter season

it was the same, last summer. the heatwave is announced by someone standing in an air conditioned studio, with a big smile. There i was with extreme hayfever, even on medication, and not being able to sleep comfortably for a long long time

Oh dear, i am grumpy today

• Like 4

Posted

I know everyone is strangely claiming this has been the worst winter since dinosaurs walked the earth, but i'm genuinely looking forward to not having to scrape my car windshield every morning. We've had loads of frosts here and a good dumping of snow. Roll on spring proper.

Posted
13 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

give the tv forecasts a miss for a while. exceptional mild is forecast for the end of the week, and combined with a cheesy smile. love the way they assume everyone loves it very warm.

Kids on half-term, i'm sure they'd prefer to be enjoying some snow at this time of year.. if we actually had a winter season

it was the same, last summer. the heatwave is announced by someone standing in an air conditioned studio, with a big smile. There i was with extreme hayfever, even on medication, and not being able to sleep comfortably for a long long time

Oh dear, i am grumpy today

I think another reason for their chessy inane grins is that they are reasonably able to predict the weather fairly correctly in these boring set ups. 

The lady on SE weather was very excited earlier. Zzzzzzzz. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

For this exceptionally mild February spell, these are the monthly record max. temps. 

Rhyl saw 18.2C on Friday 15th . The long standing Scottish record could be one to go, also Welsh one?

Friday or Saturday with a Foehn effect from the SW wind.

febrecordsrhyl.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

The 1998 record was incredible to experience, especially as it was earlyish in the month too. I was at Reading University studying Meteorology at the time (sadly had to bail on that) and we were out picknicking dressed in shorts and T-shirts, truly remarkable stuff. Time flies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
1 hour ago, James1979 said:

The 1998 record was incredible to experience, especially as it was earlyish in the month too. I was at Reading University studying Meteorology at the time (sadly had to bail on that) and we were out picknicking dressed in shorts and T-shirts, truly remarkable stuff. Time flies!

I’m gonna study at reading soon too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

I’m hoping for ecm to materialise! Need that northeasterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some unfortunate people get SAD disorder from lack of sunlight.  I have a disorder  that makes me low and depressed from lack of snow in February...the last true winter month. The last chance .  I ought to emigrate to Canada!  Foolishly, every November I log into the Netweather model thread, looking for good, snowy news. Every recent year is a roller coaster of raised then cruelly dashed expectations. In the past, I have remembered snowy Februaries and short lived but spectacular snow in March and April  but the sun is too strong, the ground too warm for it to last by then..  This years expectations at the beginning of the winter season seemed so promising. We had one fall of snow that lasted one day. Yet, like The Terminator, next November.. I'll be back....

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

I’m gonna study at reading soon too!

Wishing you all the best Oliver, enjoy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
3 hours ago, James1979 said:

Wishing you all the best Oliver, enjoy!

I see this thread has been opened for general chat, but knobody seems to be posting, and the new spring hunt model thread has only reached 2 pages in about 7 hours. Probably because the banter element has been removed from it. Think it was working fine before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I see this thread has been opened for general chat, but knobody seems to be posting, and the new spring hunt model thread has only reached 2 pages in about 7 hours. Probably because the banter element has been removed from it. Think it was working fine before

Aye it was, had a post deleted earlier, but didn't realise it was just model discussion, could have kept it as before but changed title, 'hunt for Spring warmth'

Posted
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye it was, had a post deleted earlier, but didn't realise it was just model discussion, could have kept it as before but changed title, 'hunt for Spring warmth'

I don't see the point in it, Yeh discuss the models, but nowt wrong with a bit of banter especially when the models have been looking grim, Yeh I had post removed as well, and all I said was GFSP May have a cold bias but the old gfs has a mild bias! And apperantly that wasn't discussing the models, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I don't see the point in it, Yeh discuss the models, but nowt wrong with a bit of banter especially when the models have been looking grim, Yeh I had post removed as well, and all I said was GFSP May have a cold bias but the old gfs has a mild bias! And apperantly that wasn't discussing the models, 

would have been before, but generally 1 liners with no charts are deleted, depends on member though, hmm

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

would have been before, but generally 1 liners with no charts are deleted, depends on member though, hmm

Yeh, good point. I've already noticed a few regulars haven't been posting as much lately. Pure one liners and just jokes and banter I can understand, but mixing it up was fine. I've noticed on the 2 forum they chat about everything without the restrictions, unless they start arguing and then the moderator Brian glaze clamps down on it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
16 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

especially when the models have been looking grim,

They're only grim if you're biased towards cold weather.

The forum has quietened down due to the lack of anything exciting in terms of cold weather. It just happens to be earlier this year, so we've gone back to one thread, which is how it normally is.

If something significant pops up, and there's good agreement, then a thread will be opened for the discussion of it. It's nice to have it back in my opinion. It adds some variety now we're heading towards Spring.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

They're only grim if you're biased towards cold weather.

The forum has quietened down due to the lack of anything exciting in terms of cold weather. It just happens to be earlier this year, so we've gone back to one thread, which is how it normally is.

If something significant pops up, and there's good agreement, then a thread will be opened for the discussion of it. It's nice to have it back in my opinion. It adds some variety now we're heading towards Spring.

Good points, but winters not done yet, he says walking slowly away with his tail between his legs! Thanks for the explanation

Posted

UK winters have always been a bug joke  for sustained cold and are even worse now due to lack of Arctic sea ice and warmer waters, you.be better of expecting no cold weather during the winter then you won't be disappointed when it fails to happen. 

Even at 4000 ft the snow has been nearly all wiped out and no decent skiing now, then in springtime we see perfect northern blocking, seen that countless times over the past decades when it's too late for decent snow but you get the perfect winter set up  but too late in the springtime away from high ground so just maybe the Scottish ski season can be saved but for everyone else rip winter 18/19

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
16 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

UK winters have always been a bug joke  for sustained cold and are even worse now due to lack of Arctic sea ice and warmer waters, you.be better of expecting no cold weather during the winter then you won't be disappointed when it fails to happen. 

Even at 4000 ft the snow has been nearly all wiped out and no decent skiing now, then in springtime we see perfect northern blocking, seen that countless times over the past decades when it's too late for decent snow but you get the perfect winter set up  but too late in the springtime away from high ground so just maybe the Scottish ski season can be saved but for everyone else rip winter 18/19

Good points sleety. Arctic sea ice in January averaged 13.56 million square kilometers, this was 860,000 square kilometers below the 1981-2010 long term sea ice extent. January 1 was the sixth lowest January extent in the 1979 to 2019 satellite records. Any ice growth primarily occurred in the bering sea and of okhotsk in the Pacific sector, as well as the labrador and kara seas. Some ice spread to the northeast of svalbard while retreating slowly to the northwest of these islands. Total ice extent was tracking at eight lowest on January 31, with below average extent in nearly all sectors of the Arctic. We basically need a major climatic shift, something has to be done, if this continues at this rate we will end up with know cold pools to tap in to!! 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

the amount of sea ice in the arctic has remained relatively constant over the last 10 years or so..according to some 10 years ago the summer ice was supposed to be gone by now