Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

The Mail... surely they can't be serious !! - it'll be t-shirt shorts and barbs... next weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Did anyone else pick up on the record low pressure GFS forecast for the Atlantic next week? 450mb!? Just wait until The Mail gets hold of this 

Record Low.jpg

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

ECMWF not quite as vigorous but still, 510mb nonetheless - one to keep an eye on for sure 

Record Low 2.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Nizzer said:

Need to get rid of that "hunt for cold" thread and get back to a more general model thread.

Spring is in the air. Let's hope it sticks around for a while!

Ay, should be hunt for Spring now, Spring has sprung here, last 2 days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lets hope we can get some cold in March and April. No need for this warm weather just yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

As someone who is reliant on gas bottles for heat and with a 12% price increase this winter compared to last year, I for 1 am glad of warmer winter, I’m currently on my 4th bottle since 29 October, whereas last winter I was was on bottle 7 by this point and ended up having 10 (3 bottles in March!). Hopefully it’ll be 1 more in March so I’ll have saved £205 on this years price compared to last winter.

My electric bill is also much lower this winter. Whilst I love snow and cold as much as the rest, the real rampers clearly don’t live in the real world where even I have to factor in heat v food like I did last winter.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
13 minutes ago, philglossop said:

As someone who is reliant on gas bottles for heat and with a 12% price increase this winter compared to last year, I for 1 am glad of warmer winter, I’m currently on my 4th bottle since 29 October, whereas last winter I was was on bottle 7 by this point and ended up having 10 (3 bottles in March!). Hopefully it’ll be 1 more in March so I’ll have saved £205 on this years price compared to last winter.

My electric bill is also much lower this winter. Whilst I love snow and cold as much as the rest, the real rampers clearly don’t live in the real world where even I have to factor in heat v food like I did last winter.  

I'm the total opposite,my electric bill is 3 times higher in the summer. Air con at home see's to that,this winter has been that mild i've hardly had any heating on. To say folk who really ramp up the cold in the Winter months not living in the real world is just the same as saying  folk who ramp up the love of heat in the summer don't live in the real world surely? Everybody is different,we all feel temps differently,

Posted

Well, in the real world most Brits open the window and put on a fan in heat, not install expensive aircon! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

as the uk braces for more warmth, i've seen video of snow flurries in Las Vegas today

what the dickin's is going on

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
4 hours ago, March said:

Well, in the real world most Brits open the window and put on a fan in heat, not install expensive aircon! 

Had aircon installed yesterday, been wanting it for years, best investment and not as expensive as you may think, I cannot take anymore hot sweaty nights which seem to be more and more each year.  Real world stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, March said:

Open a window? HAHA 

I'm assuming then that in the "real world" (whatever world that is that people are talking about), those who are cold in winter simply put a jumper on, rather than use expensive heating?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Most people would probably say that air con isn't a necessity in this country, and more a luxury....

A bit crass to tell people who are cold just to put a jumper on rather than use heating. Last winter there were 50,000 excess deaths. 9,000 of those were attributed to the colder weather, while around 1,000 excess deaths were attributed to the heat last summer - and that was one of the hottest on record. It's clear as day the cold is the more dangerous of the two in this country. Heating is essential. 

Edited by mb018538

Posted

One positive of this winter is the poor homeless haven't suffered as much as they would have if a big freeze occurred. Cannot imagine what it must be like to be homeless when temps are well below freezing.

• Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, markyo said:

I'm the total opposite,my electric bill is 3 times higher in the summer. Air con at home see's to that,this winter has been that mild i've hardly had any heating on. To say folk who really ramp up the cold in the Winter months not living in the real world is just the same as saying  folk who ramp up the love of heat in the summer don't live in the real world surely? Everybody is different,we all feel temps differently,

Aircon ? leaving in Sheffield,your  avin  a laugh  You only get 2 or 3 days a year when it might come in handy ,it’s never been needed in this country.

Only people that would have it installed are those folk who like to brag to the neighbours they have more money than them,or people with more money than sense.

Ridicoulous indeed.

Posted
8 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Aircon ? leaving in Sheffield,your  avin  a laugh  You only get 2 or 3 days a year when it might come in handy ,it’s never been needed in this country.

Only people that would have it installed are those folk who like to brag to the neighbours they have more money than them,or people with more money than sense.

Ridicoulous indeed.

I live on a dual carriageway,so need to keep windows shut at night for noise.The aircon is needed in summer,not bragging,not showing off,just need to sleep!! Just out of curiosity how many times have you visited Sheffield?

Posted
16 hours ago, philglossop said:

Yes that’s right.

My partner is much happier this year because she can do more gardening jobs for her clients. 

She usually has a few weeks off after Christmas until late January, because it’s a quiet time for gardens, but last year she struggled until late March because it was so cold.

This year has been kinder, although she loves the snow, we both do. The benefits of a milder winter season this year outweighs the negatives of not having as much snow and cold. The bill will be lower, although still quite high because we live in a relatively cold flat.

Sorry for rambling on lol.

Posted
28 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Ridicoulous indeed.

It depends where you live. Some people don’t open windows, in fact a lot of people don’t open windows, if they live by a motorway or busy street. Either leaving back windows open, and then using air con, once the temps outside exceed 25 degrees.

Posted
44 minutes ago, TEITS said:

One positive of this winter is the poor homeless haven't suffered as much as they would have if a big freeze occurred. Cannot imagine what it must be like to be homeless when temps are well below freezing.

I would say it’s still pretty chilly to be homeless, even now. But, last year was awful. I think anytime the daytime temp drops below 7c, it must be pretty difficult to live on the streets. Factor in the windchill and it’s even colder.

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I live on a dual carriageway,so need to keep windows shut at night for noise.The aircon is needed in summer,not bragging,not showing off,just need to sleep!! Just out of curiosity how many times have you visited Sheffield?

You live ON  a dual carriageway? ,how exactlymust be difficult opening the front door then.

Posted
Just now, SLEETY said:

You live ON  a dual carriageway? ,how exactlymust be difficult opening the front door then.

it's blinking noisy!

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

This kind of ignorance and stupidity doesn’t require a sensible answer. If you need people to explain why they don’t open windows, due to living by a busy road, then i conclude you must be a stupid or obnoxious individual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

This kind of ignorance and stupidity doesn’t require a sensible answer. If you need people to explain why they don’t open windows, due to living by a busy road, then i conclude you must be a stupid or obnoxious individual.

Are humour bypass ops free on the NHS?

Posted

Not this stuff again, please. The same people seem to get embroiled in the same stuff every year, why does it matter? Some people like warm weather, some like cold, end of discussion.

• Like 1