Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted

It’s been a boring winter for lack of snow in the London region. I know other areas did quite well though. Here’s hoping this spring  spell, doesn’t mean it’s going to be freezing cold come April. This is what I’m worried about. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

10.4C with sunny spells, a breeze.

Pleasant late winter weather. Could even put the washing out.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes feels almost Spring like today, Certainly making my joints feel better..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

now there is talk of mild Feb records being broken.

That will take some beating.. but i can't remember the year

It topped 70f around parts of the south-west and people were on beaches sunbathing, and it was shorts and t-shirt conditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
4 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

now there is talk of mild Feb records being broken.

That will take some beating.. but i can't remember the year

It topped 70f around parts of the south-west and people were on beaches sunbathing, and it was shorts and t-shirt conditions

Possibly 1998? It hit 19.7c in London (Greenwich Observatory) and that remains the all time Feb record

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Possibly 1998? It hit 19.7c in London (Greenwich Observatory) and that remains the all time Feb record

And that’s something I don’t want. 

1998 had a very mild January and February, followed by a mild March, but April was cold and the summer of 98 was very poor.

July was a grey and cool summer month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

How to spot that a cold snowy winter is approaching. Background signals all point to a warm winter, all models point to the same, certain cold rampers here and in the media predict the mildest winter on record, met office predicts BBQ winter, James Madden throws in the towel and says the new mini ice age is over before it began, then you know we will have the complete opposite, but until this happens expect winters to be utter crap

Edited by lassie23

Posted
16 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

And that’s something I don’t want. 

1998 had a very mild January and February, followed by a mild March, but April was cold and the summer of 98 was very poor.

July was a grey and cool summer month.

This is something that has been mooted on many occasions on different forums about warm spells in late winter/early Spring, scuppering our chances of a decent summer. There is of course no correlation with many previous seasons having gone either way, with no direct causitive link. Mother Nature doesn't deal in IOUs! 

If we get an early taste of Spring proper, then bring it on I say. It could 'just' be that we are entering a climatological phase where we are in a warming period (AGW or otherwise) and regardless of the fact that we had an incredible Spring/Summer last year, we could see pleasant conditions again this year? I don't expect record breaking weather like last year, but just a decent summer overall would suit many of us I'm sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Daffodils are coming up in my garden buds on the tree's. 

I think were in for another nice spring and another hot summer 

I went for a walk down the country lane earlier it actually felt pleasantly warm in the sun...

I have wrote this winter off and put it down to experience. 

Even if we get a cold spell mid march it won't last long. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
15 minutes ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

This is something that has been mooted on many occasions on different forums about warm spells in late winter/early Spring, scuppering our chances of a decent summer. There is of course no correlation with many previous seasons having gone either way, with no direct causitive link. Mother Nature doesn't deal in IOUs! 

If we get an early taste of Spring proper, then bring it on I say. It could 'just' be that we are entering a climatological phase where we are in a warming period (AGW or otherwise) and regardless of the fact that we had an incredible Spring/Summer last year, we could see pleasant conditions again this year? I don't expect record breaking weather like last year, but just a decent summer overall would suit many of us I'm sure.

i think 1990 had warm late winter early spring followed by good summer..1989 was similar also

Posted

Gorgeous day with lots of sun, hardly any wind and the warmest day in my back garden since 14 November 2018, today on 14.5 C

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i think 1990 had warm late winter early spring followed by good summer..1989 was similar also

Yes, it was 1989 and 90.

I remember both, but 1990 seemed warmer in the late winter and early spring. St Patrick’s day was around 22-23 degrees in London, and at the time I don’t think I experienced a warmer period in early spring. 1989 had a warmish spring, but I’m sure February was chillier at times, and I also recall a very cold April that year.

Springs post 1987 have been milder on the whole, but also still produce chilly March/April spells. 

Posted
5 hours ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

I hope we do get a decent summer. I don’t expect a repeat of 2018 for a few years, but a few weeks of warm mid 20s with some 30c days would be nice, between June to August. I’ll gladly settle for a hot week or two, with a week or so of average 20-23c type days. Maybe the occasional rain or thunderstorm to keep pollution levels down and air fresher. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

With Half term upon us, the ongoing mild southerly flow is devastating for the Scottish ski resorts. Lorna from Cairngorm Mountain asks if you could all do a SNOW DANCE.

That may not be popular if you are enjoying this fine spring-like weather

1502snowaccMON.png

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Spring continues unabated. Glad I cut the grass in January. Probably need cutting next week though.

To be honest no measurable snow this winter only two days with a dusting in Jan none this month or in December. I think we went from Autumn straight to spring to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

hunt for cold? maybe it's hunt for summer now. It's duly arriving.. dusting off the 'ol shorts for the first time this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
On 13/02/2019 at 08:29, cobbett said:

Well the MOD thread is a depressing place now - it’s like the end of one of the most anticipated parties you’ve been invited  to but was actually crap and where all the interesting guys have long since left to go somewhere better and what’s left are a forlorn few desperately hoping the party will get going again - it ain’t ! 

So you've come in h

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
On 13/02/2019 at 08:29, cobbett said:

Well the MOD thread is a depressing place now - it’s like the end of one of the most anticipated parties you’ve been invited  to but was actually crap and where all the interesting guys have long since left to go somewhere better and what’s left are a forlorn few desperately hoping the party will get going again - it ain’t ! 

So you've come. In here to thrill us all with your presence instead ha ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, cheese said:

Another beautiful day here, 13C with only patchy cumulus.

Aye, much warmer than yesterday, due to cloudier night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
37 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, much warmer than yesterday, due to cloudier night

It was warmer to start but it was 16C yesterday afternoon here.