Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
6 hours ago, cheese said:

Heatwaves in the UK are usually dry and not humid. 2006 was similar.

Humid hot weather in the UK is usually the result of short-lived plumes rather than extended periods of high pressure.

I remember the summer of 2003 being fairly muggy.

Posted

Winter must be over now.

Only the die hards still think there is hope of a proper cold spell.

I have seen snow twice these last few weeks of winter, and that is good enough for me, even if it was less than an inch.

The metoffice say the next 10 years will be the warmest in history, so on that note, roll on summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Don said:

I remember the summer of 2003 being fairly muggy.

I think the 2003 heatwave had lower pressure. It didn’t last as long either.

• Like 1

Posted

Radar showing isolated spots of snow on Pennines and North York Moors. A little freezing rain working it's way down Lincolnshire - but again isolated. We just have frost, though.

We were fortunate to get our burst pipe fixed (4th Feb) without much bother and there was no obvious damage after sweeping the garage out. I'm a bit more nervous about cold weather now. Roll on spring!

Posted

Ironically many of the 'rated' forecasters (on both here, twitter - other media platforms) and 'culprits' who couldn't stop shouting about 'downwelling' severe cold and the like in February are dead set against a repeat of last summers sun and temperatures... hope they keep it up as a repeat will certainly be on the cards if so!! The weather tends to do the exact opposite to what they shout about and try and ram down our throats :yahoo: 

Edited by Matty88

Posted
On 04/01/2019 at 08:45, Matty88 said:

As this season started relatively early (Got rather cool in Oct-Nov) I'll stick my neck out and say I reckon we're in for an early spring season....   

Don't get me wrong I love ice and snow but when you think about it, its a right nuisance to travel in! A snowless winter maybe? Not all bad! 

Well... my crystal ball on 4th January 2019 was right!!! An early spring is on the horizon :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Matty88 said:

Well... my crystal ball on 4th January 2019 was right!!! An early spring is on the horizon :yahoo:

Don’t worry, it will be cold and dull by the time we reach mid June, and people will be moaning about how it was much warmer in early April

Posted
12 hours ago, 'ColdIsBest' said:

The metoffice say the next 10 years will be the warmest in history, so on that note, roll on summer.

Nobody can claim an history in advance. Besides the met office have predicted plenty of seasons in advance which have gone bust. For all we know the next 10 years could end up actually been cooler than the 10 preceding them. Long term global warming or not.

Posted
13 hours ago, 'ColdIsBest' said:

Winter must be over now.

Only the die hards still think there is hope of a proper cold spell.

I have seen snow twice these last few weeks of winter, and that is good enough for me, even if it was less than an inch.

I think the Met Office should concentrate on being able to accurately predict surface weather 10 days out. Couldn't predict a pint in a pub that lot. 

10 years?? Really?? 

Posted

Well i have to say as winter has been a let down for a prolonged period of cold weather, i for one hope that winter goes out on a very mild and sunny end, today has been stunning, long may it continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I think the Met Office should concentrate on being able to accurately predict surface weather 10 days out. Couldn't predict a pint in a pub that lot. 

10 years?? Really?? 

Given how warm global temperatures have been in recent years, it’s probably a reasonable assumption.

Posted
22 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Only on a weather forum can perfectly pleasant, mild, dry and even sometime sunny weather be described as 'vile', 'ghastly', 'disgusting' and 'horrific'.

Only because it's winter, when many want it cold.  It wouldn't be described as that in April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
38 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Only on a weather forum can perfectly pleasant, mild, dry and even sometime sunny weather be described as 'vile', 'ghastly', 'disgusting' and 'horrific'.

Not vile by me, Vile to me is gales, rain/ named storms, Atlantic fully in charge

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

I agree, but I do get it.

I'm very much a summer person/heat lover, but this Winter for a coldie has been pretty dire. One notable cold spell with snow (lasted a few days) and that's it.

If the roles were reversed and our summer had three days of heat, I would class that as an abysmal summer.

I only get annoyed when it gets to like May or something and cold fans are posting snot-green charts and celebrating over it.

Edited by Azazel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I'm very much a summer person/heat lover, but this Winter for a coldie has been pretty dire. One notable cold spell with snow (lasted a few days) and that's it.

If the roles were reversed and our summer had three days of heat, I would class that as an abysmal summer.

I only get annoyed when it gets to like May or something and cold fans are posting snot-green charts and celebrating over it.

awful too, the last bit, best to 'ignore' those members

Posted
On 11/02/2019 at 08:22, Matty88 said:

Ironically many of the 'rated' forecasters (on both here, twitter - other media platforms) and 'culprits' who couldn't stop shouting about 'downwelling' severe cold and the like in February are dead set against a repeat of last summers sun and temperatures... hope they keep it up as a repeat will certainly be on the cards if so!! The weather tends to do the exact opposite to what they shout about and try and ram down our throats  

I think it was the disdain and arrogance aired by some if you dared disagree with their cold gospel that was most irritating. The constant talk of background signals and teleconnections since the end of November and war and peace ramblings that never seemed to make their point, in the end came to nothing. Despite a positive NAO, no proper signs of HLB, pulses of eastern seaboard cyclogenesis and a dominant AZH, we were told that we were mildmongering, when in fact, we were just being completely realistic and saying it like it was. 

I'd like to think that some of next year's winter model watchers will cut a more mature, solemn, humble and gracious figure, as opposed to a holier than thou piety, but I fear we may have to wait some time for that!  

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

I hate that. 

What I also hate are these non heat lovers(coldies who think anything above 6 degrees is a heatwave) who seem to think having a pint in the beer garden when it’s barely 10 degrees is pleasant enough in at this time. Hardly t shirt weather for many is it? 

I want winter to be chilly and snowy at times, and while this winter has delivered some frosty periods with long dry spells, as opposed to a two to three week wet spell(something that happens in milder winters), it’s been a disappointing one overall. I just Hope summer 2019 isn’t a cool damp one, because that’s just adding insult to injury.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol I like to entertain them and rub their noses in it when it hits 25 degrees

I have a feeling you won't have to wait long this year........

Posted
5 hours ago, Don said:

I have a feeling you won't have to wait long this year........

I don’t expect to see anything close to 25c until at least mid April at the very earliest. It probably won’t be until early or mid May before that happens. 

May tends to be the first proper period of heat, unlike April and provides longer spells of warmth, and the humidity starts to kick in towards the end. 

I have a feeling this summer will be thundery. 

Posted

Well the MOD thread is a depressing place now - it’s like the end of one of the most anticipated parties you’ve been invited  to but was actually crap and where all the interesting guys have long since left to go somewhere better and what’s left are a forlorn few desperately hoping the party will get going again - it ain’t ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Incredibly boring period of weather throughout Europe this week. It certainly wasn't the case exactly 90 years ago and 20 years ago as these days mark the anniversaries of 1. coldest temperature measured in modern times 11.02.1929, -41.0C and also 11.02.1999 one of the worst Blizzards that hit my region in Slovakia. 

archives-1929-2-10-12-1.png

2349980_300x200.jpeg

2349947_300x200.jpeg

2349951_300x200.jpeg

2349946_300x200.jpeg

2349941_300x200.jpeg

2349973_300x200.jpeg

download.jpg

• Like 4