46 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Not long to go now! 2 weeks yesterday will be the opening day of Spring

Not long to go then to misery......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Not long to go then to misery......

As much as I love cold weather, how is being warm outside misery?..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Dreading the onset of the dark cloud that is Summer,leaving my favourite season of the year as Winter draws closer to the end fills me with a feeling of foreboding,for me Spring and Summer only bring misery,seriously will be making the most of what's left of this poor winter and will soon be counting the days to that welcome Autumn. It won't come quick enough.

You have quite some time to go before having to worry about heat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 08/02/2019 at 15:27, March said:

2015 was not a classic, yet it still had some crazy hot humid days that were more uncomfortable than anything summer 2018 had! I remember that summer well as I made a point of going out for a 4 mile walk every day of the summer and it was nice. June was a bit meh but the rest was fine. 

For some reason 2015 hasn’t stuck in my mind at all. 

I stand corrected on summer 2016, as I do remember the late summer hot spells in August and into early September. But, I still remember June of that year being humid and cloudy. The only good thing about that summer was the severe thunderstorms that broke out across England on the Referendum night. Towards the end of June that year.

Posted
8 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Not long to go now! 2 weeks yesterday will be the opening day of Spring

Lol I laugh sometimes when people get exicited about spring in Feb. I don’t think we are out of the woods until mid March, even if we don’t get any snow. There will be still plenty of damp and cloudy days. 

I don’t really get fully optimistic about spring or warmer weather until we get past St Patrick’s day. That’s still a month away, and even then the weather can be cold. Unless we have a warmish period in March, which is possible, I don’t really expect anything consistently good until we reach April.

And as for worrying about heat, it won’t be hot until at least sometime in April, or even as far off as mid May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

You have quite some time to go before having to worry about heat 

I hope so! ....

Hope life out of the UK is to your liking,must be a great change to this country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, Freeze said:

As much as I love cold weather, how is being warm outside misery?..

Warm is fine(sub 20c),hot(plus 20c)......different kettle of fish entirely

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
2 hours ago, markyo said:

I agree entirely.  How anyone can enjoy hot weather - especially the muggy, humid heat we have i the UK - is beyond me.  I hope we have a cool, damp summer this year.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mr TOAD said:

I agree entirely.  How anyone can enjoy hot weather - especially the muggy, humid heat we have i the UK - is beyond me.  I hope we have a cool, damp summer this year.

I actually thought last summer was ok and not too muggy, unlike in previous years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

With winter 2018/19 a total bust for most overall in terms of cold and snow, ( looking safe to say that now given the views of the M.O and well respected contributors here)

This will,in years to come remain one of the most out of context  snow/freeze events given the overall pattern of a winter.

3 inches of snow and -1c 

Brighton,Sussex coast. 31st January 2019,20.00- 23.35. Snow falling heavily and blizzard conditions at times. ( only a slow thaw 1st February)

20190131_234931.jpg

20190131_234300.jpg

20190131_234232.jpg

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Don said:

I actually thought last summer was ok and not too muggy, unlike in previous years.

Heatwaves in the UK are usually dry and not humid. 2006 was similar.

Humid hot weather in the UK is usually the result of short-lived plumes rather than extended periods of high pressure.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr TOAD said:

No, I’ll take a warm humid spell over anything cool and damp. Cool and damp between June and August is the pits, mainly because it just feels like autumn and sometimes winter time. 

Cool and damp reminds me of periods during summer 2002, despite it being warm at times, there were plenty of dull overcast damp days, and at the height of summer, it just makes people feel depressed. Especially after enduring months of dull winter weather in this country, I look forward to warm sunny days and even hot ones. 

I understand when the temp exceeds 27c it can become too humid for the cities, but it’s an ideal temperature for the beach. 20-24 isn’t warm enough to enjoy the beach if there’s a cool breeze blowing. That’s just me though.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

Humid hot weather in the UK is usually the result of short-lived plumes rather than extended periods of high pressure.

Yes 2018 was ideal heat, because it was dry, although once it hit 30 plus the humidity did become an issue. 

2013 had dry heat also. I didn’t like 2016 because it was dull and humid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

You're right enough, Cheese...it's around the periphery, where the fronts are, where humidity can be a problem; hot, thundery snaps speak for themselves...?

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You're right enough, Cheese...it's around the periphery, where the fronts are, where humidity can be a problem; hot, thundery snaps speak for themselves...?

Indeed. The heatwave last summer was as dry as a bone until it began to wane towards the end of July, with a slacker flow and more disturbances.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

2018 was probably the best weather in terms of the length of the warm sunny weather. Think London had its sunniest mid June to early August period since 1995. 2006, 2003 and 2013 couldn’t even rival that, and those were all good summers. 

The only letdown with summer 18, was the cooler and cloudier second half of August. Still it wasn’t completely dire, just a bit cooler and cloudier at times.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

2018 was probably the best weather in terms of the length of the warm sunny weather. Think London had its sunniest mid June to early August period since 1995. 2006, 2003 and 2013 couldn’t even rival that, and those were all good summers. 

The only letdown with summer 18, was the cooler and cloudier second half of August. Still it wasn’t completely dire, just a bit cooler and cloudier at times.

It really was great. August wasn’t as good but it was still sunnier and drier than average here.

Posted

Manchester Winter Index 

Formula:  10 x[(number of days with falling sleet/snow) +(number of days with lying snow at 9am) + (number of days with a minima at or below 0C)]  divided by the mean maximum 

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1997-98: 25

1974-75: 26

1989-90: 26

2015-16: 28

1973-74: 30

1987-88: 37

2007-08: 37

2016-17: 37

1991-92: 40

1975-76: 41

1999-00: 42

1992-93: 43

2002-03: 44

1994-95: 45

1998-99: 47

2004-05: 47

2011-12: 47

2018-19: 49 (up to 9th Feb)

2001-02: 50

2003-04: 50

2005-06: 59

1979-80: 66

1996-97: 72

2000-01: 77

1993-94: 78

1983-84: 82

2014-15: 82

1982-83: 85

1977-78: 90

1980-81: 90

2017-18: 93

1986-87: 100

2012-13: 102

2008-09: 105

2010-11: 119

1990-91: 126

1995-96: 135

1984-85: 140

1976-77: 141

1981-82: 149

1985-86: 159

2009-10: 197

1978-79: 262

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester Winter Index decadal averages.

1980s: 93

1990s: 68

2000s: 53

2010s: ~76

Despite the non existent winter of 2013-14, the winters of the 2010s to me have felt overall more wintrier than the winters of the 1990s and 2000s and this is borne out by the winter indices,  3 of the 10 have got over 100 this decade. 

The winters from 1997-98 to 2007-08 were really mediocre, the average for that period was about 46, the next subsequent 11 winters have averaged about 79 and that includes the non existent winter of 2013-14.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
9 hours ago, markyo said:

I kinda know what you mean I love warm weather sub 25c (to me) but more is tiring as I work in a kicthen lol but I can’t wait til spring now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

can the 49 rating get lower? or is that minimum now? say if no more frost/snow rest of Feb, and all double figure maximums, still 49

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

can the 49 rating get lower? or is that minimum now? say if no more frost/snow rest of Feb, and all double figure maximums, still 49

It can drop but even if I were to record 20C every day as a maximum for the rest of the month it would only drop to 34, so its going to be 40+