Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Plenty of time to go yet,both 1947 and 1986 were just about getting started in the last week of January!

Posted
9 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Plenty of time to go yet,both 1947 and 1986 were just about getting started in the last week of January!

Exactly and then we had last year which started early.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

our 'near' non-event is actually a named storm !!

just saw a tweet from Met Office

named as 'Storm #Gabriel' by the French Met office

Bloody French have nicked our snow again !!

Posted

Not sure why some in the mod thread complaining about hopecasting this winter - every winter is based on hope - that’s all we can cling on to living on this snow starved little island 

Posted

rain reports have begun. pretty much, to plan. at first, it was going to be rain, away from high ground

turning more wintry later, and the showers coming behind, should be very wintry, even to low levels

shocking that there is no update yet from Met Office, regarding Thursday.. a nightmare for anyone trying to plan a trip

that clock... always ticking... not able to wait until the last second

Posted
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

June / July, usually down the beach by early May down here.....horrific thoughts snow that late in the year.....

Moving this discussion here as politely instructed by the mods.

Found a few anecdotal reports and newspaper reports of snow in August as well - although seemingly not to such low levels - so my extension of hope can last that long. I've always preferred snow above any other weather type, sunny days that are cold or cool are fine, but hot muggy sunny days drive me to distraction, and if anything is going to fall from the sky I'd prefer it to be snow than rain (unless a thunderstorm), so as long as the models show some hope for snow I will continue my hunt for wintry weather through most of the year. Yes, returns will naturally diminish as the year goes on, but why not hold out hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 25/01/2019 at 20:14, Rambo said:

Firstly you haven't been proven right about anything yet, although you still could be, but best to wait until winter is actually over lol.

Also, 2018 summer was great, I would definitely want a repeat of that, longest settled warm period for a long time!

I suspect sadly i have been proved right.....first time for everything i suppose! This winter will go down as very poor even with today's snow which i was in,nothing to right home about at all. The snowflake generation just like all the hype i'm afraid from the media,driving home last night the roads were quiet at rush hour,all the snowflakes were tucked up in their warm little houses,god help them if they had a to go through a proper winter! i'm still working in shorts at the end of January that's how bad its been!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

Moving this discussion here as politely instructed by the mods.

Found a few anecdotal reports and newspaper reports of snow in August as well - although seemingly not to such low levels - so my extension of hope can last that long. I've always preferred snow above any other weather type, sunny days that are cold or cool are fine, but hot muggy sunny days drive me to distraction, and if anything is going to fall from the sky I'd prefer it to be snow than rain (unless a thunderstorm), so as long as the models show some hope for snow I will continue my hunt for wintry weather through most of the year. Yes, returns will naturally diminish as the year goes on, but why not hold out hope.

It’s funny actually - with each passing year I find myself caring about snow less and less. These days a snowless winter doesn’t bother me. To be honest, winter is just a season you have to endure before the nice weather returns. I have my heating on continuous right now! 

I’m still happy to see snow when it falls, but if it doesn’t then oh well. I’m hoping for a Feb 1998 repeat this year myself. Mild, dry and sunny will do. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

It’s funny actually - with each passing year I find myself caring about snow less and less. These days a snowless winter doesn’t bother me. To be honest, winter is just a season you have to endure before the nice weather returns. I have my heating on continuous right now!

I’m still happy to see snow when it falls, but if it doesn’t then oh well.

won't say that as such for me, but the m/e has made summer my favourite season, Spring 2nd favourite, just cannot stand dark mornings, frost then rain

people say roll on spring, I say no, roll on Summer!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

won't say that as such for me, but the m/e has made summer my favourite season, Spring 2nd favourite, just cannot stand dark mornings, frost then rain

people say roll on spring, I say no, roll on Summer!

Yup, you can’t beat summer. It’s always been my favourite season though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'll go between the two and say I like the second half of spring and the first half of summer best, not least because of the daylight length. Early spring is essentially an extension of winter, other than less cold weather - everything still a bit bare until April. Spring can really be very pleasant indeed though with all of summer to look forward too and the richness of colour in spring just isn't the same by later in the summer. I'll have fond memories of last year for many years.

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

I suspect sadly i have been proved right.....first time for everything i suppose! This winter will go down as very poor even with today's snow which i was in,nothing to right home about at all. The snowflake generation just like all the hype i'm afraid from the media,driving home last night the roads were quiet at rush hour,all the snowflakes were tucked up in their warm little houses,god help them if they had a to go through a proper winter! i'm still working in shorts at the end of January that's how bad its been!!!

As much as I would happily blame the downfall of society on the worrying explosion of demented, left wing snowflakes, I cant however see how they're to blame for the weather lol.

The point IS, and STILL is, winter isnt over yet, so no one can say they are right or wrong until the Spring. Yes its been a poor winter for cold, but certainly not up there with the worst by any stretch (unless we get a heatwave in Feb)

Posted
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

I'll go between the two and say I like the second half of spring and the first half of summer best, not least because of the daylight length. Early spring is essentially an extension of winter, other than less cold weather - everything still a bit bare until April. Spring can really be very pleasant indeed though with all of summer to look forward too and the richness of colour in spring just isn't the same by later in the summer. I'll have fond memories of last year for many years.

The May-September period is my favourite since it’s the least likely period of the year to be cold, and it’s also the period where the foliage will be completely green - as you note it’s still mostly bare into April. The day length earlier in the summer is an obvious added bonus.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Right - I've had enough.  I just checked the nearer Weather stations. Mean low for the last 14 days is -3.3C for Leeming and -3.8C for Topcliffe.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03257&ano=2019&mes=1&day=31&hora=8&min=0&ndays=30

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2019&mes=1&day=31&hora=8&min=0&ndays=30

I'm starting to tire of the shower flow being not much more than a dribble because the heater is struggling with the very cold mains water. I think we can dispense with the moans of a mild winter. I'm moaning because I'm getting sick of the cold, although I'm grateful it's been quite a dry, sunny winter and today's frost is stunning. Hedges and shrubs are white all the way to ground level and cobwebs are standing out.  I think the fog is thickening again. It's still -4.7C. Anyone who still thinks it's a warm winter should go for a mid-morning walk in a t-shirt!

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Aleman said:

Right - I've had enough.  I just checked the nearer Weather stations. Mean low for the last 14 days is -3.3C for Leeming and -3.8C for Topcliffe.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03257&ano=2019&mes=1&day=31&hora=8&min=0&ndays=30

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2019&mes=1&day=31&hora=8&min=0&ndays=30

I'm starting to tire of the shower flow being not much more than a dribble because the heater is struggling with the very cold mains water. I think we can dispense with the moans of a mild winter. I'm moaning because I'm getting sick of the cold, although I'm grateful it's been quite a dry, sunny winter and today's frost is stunning. Hedges and shrubs are white all the way to ground level and cobwebs are standing out.  I think the fog is thickening again. It's still -4.7C. Anyone who still thinks it's a warm winter should go for a mid-morning walk in a t-shirt!

Not sure what your rant is,we have had a few days of cold,it was far worse last year,all be it later in February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Mary Nightingale on the ITV headline news this evening just mentioned the latest on 'the big freeze' hitting most of Britain then went on to interview a reporter on Bodmin (higher ground) in Cornwall where they've had a few inches and some not to unhappy motorists taking things a bit comically - crikey! talk about trying to make something into a news story. I think ITV news producers should be shifted off to Chicago...:oldrofl:

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Well this winter has been a complete waste of time here.  Not a drop of snow on Thursday, and only an hour of wet sleety snow a couple of days previously.  Now with the models predicting a shift to our usual Atlantic driven dross next week I can safely say winter is all but over for me.  I give up.

It had better be a cool damp summer this year!

Edited by Mr TOAD
  • Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Not sure what your rant is,we have had a few days of cold,it was far worse last year,all be it later in February.

I don't agree. It's our 15th day of this colder spell that incuded 12 frosts and 9 below -3C (referencing Leeming so I can show here).

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03257&ano=2019&mes=2&day=1&hora=7&min=0&ndays=30

The last 24 hours at our house have seen a low of -5.8C, a high of -2.1C and a low of -4.3C. We've now had our 6th snow episode. Allthough 5 have been pathetic and given a couple of settled dustings that most busy people will not even have seen, we have about a centimeter this morning. I reckon this cold spell has just about been cold enough to balance out the cold fortnight over Christmas. As someone who goes to football, I've been to 4 matches where I've been trussed up like an attack dog trainer and still felt too cold - that's about normal for a full season. I do not have this down as a mild winter any more. Although dry, so little snow, it's been pretty average for temperature now.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yes there have been some 'colder' days and I use inverted comma's as here in the south east we've largely seen daily maxes over the last week or so still getting up to 4/5/6c which is not noteworthy though as mentioned in the above post there have been some consistent air frosts which have certainly made it feel seasonal (frosty grass, Icy puddles, ponds etc), but as a cold spell it's not up to much and Jan/Feb 2013 was better than this...off the top of my head trying to think of the last CET winter month that was below 1c...December 2010?

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Devon did well yesterday? not all of us got that lucky

Just a dusting from 24 hours ago, then the back edge cleared

The dusting was still there at dawn this morning... but all gone by 10am

That's all folks

Posted

I don’t care what anyone says on here. This January has been fairly cold, and my flat is difficult to heat when the temps are hovering around or lower than 7c. 

The windchill has made it feel very cold, even in central London. 

I’ll be happy if we get a proper dumping of snow later in Feb, as London missed out this time, and was a let down compared to Feb 2018.

Once February is over though, I’ll gladly take the warm sunny days, and look forward to hot days in summer. I’ll be tired of winter soon. 

Posted

January ended up with a mean of around 4C here with 11 nights below freezing. That’s fairly normal really.

The final day of January had a max of -3C which is certainly very cold though.

In terms of snow this winter will be up their with some of the worst unless February delivers something.

Edited by cheese

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

January ended up with a mean of around 4C here with 11 nights below freezing. That’s fairly normal really.

The final day of January had a max of -3C which is certainly very cold though.

In terms of snow this winter will be up their with some of the worst unless February delivers something.

Yes it’s been poor for snow, but that doesn’t mean it’s been mild all the way. We’ve had cold spells in the past that produced very little snow. 95-96 was a prime example of that.