IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 2 cold weather alert issued for all of England

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:40 on Fri 25 Jan 2019

There is a 80% probability of severe cold weather, icy conditions and some snow showers between 0900 on Sunday 27 Jan and 1800 on Wednesday 30 Jan in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

A brief milder interlude is expected on Friday, lasting into Saturday. Later Saturday, blustery rain should move eastwards across the UK, continuing into early Sunday, which will reintroduce cold air. This will likely be followed by some wintry showers, perhaps most frequent on the North Sea coast for a time, although there is low confidence in this aspect. Snow is possible across hills, especially in the north, with some more sporadic falls to lower levels here as well. The cold feel will be accentuated by a brisk northerly wind to start the new working week, although this does mean that overnight minimum temperatures will not fall quite as far. Icy stretches are possible by this time, especially overnight. Confidence regarding the extent and location of any wintry precipitation remains low beyond Monday, however cold conditions are currently expected to persist for much of the country.

There is then the potential for some slightly less cold air to make some progress northeastwards from the southwest through the middle of next week, but this remains very uncertain at this stage.

This alert is very likely to be superseded by a fresh cold weather alert with further details on Monday 28 January, once details for the coming week are more certain.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

• Thanks 1

Posted

And to say we can`t get a cold spells from the atlantic these days,seems to have made a comeback in recent years.

Not sure why the alert is only for parts of England though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Sadly it really looks i was proved right,a rainbow winter it is,never delivering,that pot of gold just disappears as soon as we get near it. Oh well always next year...Just hope this summer isn't a repeat of 2018,i couldn't stand that!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking another poor weak for me. Best chance of any snow Sunday and that is really pushing it. So expecting a Snow free week and a wet end to it. The only white stuff being frost more likely than not. So the naff winter is continuing. At least the grass has stopped growing.

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

And to say we can`t get a cold spells from the atlantic these days,seems to have made a comeback in recent years.

Not sure why the alert is only for parts of England though.

It explains why at the bottom of the page

"A Cold weather health watch system operates in England from the 1 November to 31 March every year, in association with Public Health England."

It's the same as heatwave alerts in summer

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Sadly it really looks i was proved right,a rainbow winter it is,never delivering,that pot of gold just disappears as soon as we get near it. Oh well always next year...Just hope this summer isn't a repeat of 2018,i couldn't stand that!!

Firstly you haven't been proven right about anything yet, although you still could be, but best to wait until winter is actually over lol.

Also, 2018 summer was great, I would definitely want a repeat of that, longest settled warm period for a long time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Looking another poor weak for me. Best chance of any snow Sunday and that is really pushing it. So expecting a Snow free week and a wet end to it. The only white stuff being frost more likely than not. So the naff winter is continuing. At least the grass has stopped growing.

The grass was still growing there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

the dreaded M4 corridor is getting mentioned again

Think i may head there one day, it'll be interesting to see rain fall south, and snow falling to the north, i presume it'll be sleet on the M4 itself ;)

Posted
8 hours ago, cheese said:

The grass was still growing there?

Did the first cut in January

Posted

Apparently it's Snowed in Tunisa. Perhaps we should go there for some snow.

Posted

weather front already gone through today, pretty brief and feeble

nothing but rain showers to look forward to, but hey some strong winds are coming

could be interesting up on Princetown tomorrow morning, rain turns to heavy snow, with 60+ mph wind gusts

Posted

to the moaning thread i go.

look at the shambles going on, regarding the details on next week

then i think back to last summer, with the scare stories spread around in mainstream media, regarding climate change,

and what it'll be like in the year 2070

they are dithering about the next couple of days... let's forget about 2070, shall we? good grief !!

Posted

Snow warnings issued for Tuesday night and into Wednesday

Between 21:00 Tue 29th and 12:00 Wed 30th

Snow, possibly heavy at times, developing overnight Tuesday and into Wednesday.

What to expect

• There is a small chance of travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel
  • There is a slight chance that some rural communities could become cut off
  • There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected

Regions and local authorities affected:

• East Midlands
  • East of England
  • London & South East England
  • South West England
  • West Midlands

Further details

A band of rain pushing east across parts of England is likely to turn to snow during Tuesday evening, with snow continuing into Wednesday. Accumulations of 1-3 cm are likely quite widely, with accumulations of 5 cm in places. There is a small chance that some areas could see up to 10 cm, more especially over the higher ground.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2019-01-29

Posted
On 26/01/2019 at 06:47, The PIT said:

Apparently it's Snowed in Tunisa. Perhaps we should go there for some snow.

Second time. I posted on another thread when it did it a few weeks back - Libya , too. After seeing a little snow on the maps I found this:

https://nczas.com/2019/01/08/przed-zima-juz-nie-uciekniesz-dotarla-nawet-do-afryki-snieg-spadl-w-libii-i-algierii-zagrozony-jest-cypr-fotovideo/

Posted

just looked out my windows, i saw something white dropping down.. got excited for a nano-second.

It was a pigeon, doing a number 2 from mid air

Posted

these types of weather situations, the forecasters are about use as a chocolate fireguard

waiting for a weather system to arrive, to see what falls from the sky... nowcasting, and covering their arses with

rain, sleet or snow.

so we're back to the days, of looking out the window to see what it's doing

crickey, o'riley

Posted
18 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

just looked out my windows, i saw something white dropping down.. got excited for a nano-second.

It was a pigeon, doing a number 2 from mid air 

Warning out yesterday for one CM of snow

What is it with this UK and snow and so much fuss made about tiny amounts and its not even that cold. 

What sort of warning would they put out if we ever got the sort of cold USA are getting this week