2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

large teapot sucks! hardly had one here, normal though post '98 or so

You what now?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Rambo said:

You what now?

hardly had a proper winter since the 90's, just the odd good month at best, mostly just the odd good few days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Day_10 said:

Where’s all the posts gone?

Paul Daniels's ghost has joined the Moderating Team?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

large teapot sucks! hardly had one here, normal though post '98 or so

Is this teapot big enough?

image.thumb.png.4b47d16111c23dbc120ba5be48094db6.png

Posted

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it, but what has happened to the number of people viewing each topic at the bottom of the page? Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Looking forward to getting snowed in early hours of Sunday morning and into monday night.:aggressive:❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, red1cell said:

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it, but what has happened to the number of people viewing each topic at the bottom of the page? Thanks

gets taken off when busy, shame but it does, only viewable on forum index

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Sending this to all snow lovers in UK/IE from my  lovely country

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

hardly had a proper winter since the 90's, just the odd good month at best, mostly just the odd good few days

The 1990s weren't anything special. I'm not sure why you keep coming out with this. Sure the last few years has been a poor run, but on average here:

Winter Index:

1990s: 57.0
2000s: 48.3
2010s: 68.9

Days of sleet/snow falling:

1990s: 11.8
2000s: 11.9
2010s: 11.7

Days of Snow lying at 0900:

1990s: 5.8
2000s: 3.6
2010s: 7.6

Winter months more than 1C below average:

1990s: 2
2000s: 2
2010s: 5

Winter mean temp:

1990s: 4.77C
2000s: 5.08C
2010s: 4.69C

The 2010s are almost unanimously better, despite the last few years being poor. Sure, 2010-2013 heavily weigh up the 2010s, but 1991, 1996 and 1997 did the same in the 1990s.

Edited by reef
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Need to call time on this winter now I think. Not long til February. Up there with the worst winters for me. 

A cheer for winter 18/19...the winter of the day 10 chart. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
34 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Need to call time on this winter now I think. Not long til February. Up there with the worst winters for me. 

October fog index called it

• Like 1

Posted

well, there we have it, its raining, sums winter up, going forward the bbc forecast is rain tomorrow and saturday, sleet sunday/tuesday more rain next friday, the deep snowy cold weather seems another winter away, 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

well, there we have it, its raining, sums winter up, going forward the bbc forecast is rain tomorrow and saturday, sleet sunday/tuesday more rain next friday, the deep snowy cold weather seems another winter away, 

Gotta agree. All this potential.........

Yes colder air in the mix at times with snow for more northern area's(mostly hills and mountains) but central northen England south,cold rain to most area's.

Thats my take on a mix of the big three.

The biggest problem is the Canadian lobe......again. We never really see a true clean seperation of lows been spawned from there and phasing of the ne/sw sliding lows don't benefit most of us.

Potential is t144+ away for me......again.

My only hope is a quick flip at say 72hrs or so away,because things become diluted for snow as time ticks down on the mods.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, joggs said:

Gotta agree. All this potential.........

Yes colder air in the mix at times with snow for more northern area's(mostly hills and mountains) but central northen England south,cold rain to most area's.

Thats my take on a mix of the big three.

The biggest problem is the Canadian lobe......again. We never really see a true clean seperation of lows been spawned from there and phasing of the ne/sw sliding lows don't benefit most of us.

yep, just not going to fall right for us this year. although conditions this morning are lethal outside, light rain onto frozen pavements equals a very dangerous walk on the school run. ,lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
16 hours ago, reef said:

The 1990s weren't anything special. I'm not sure why you keep coming out with this. Sure the last few years has been a poor run, but on average here:

Winter Index:

1990s: 57.0
2000s: 48.3
2010s: 68.9

Days of sleet/snow falling:

1990s: 11.8
2000s: 11.9
2010s: 11.7

Days of Snow lying at 0900:

1990s: 5.8
2000s: 3.6
2010s: 7.6

Winter months more than 1C below average:

1990s: 2
2000s: 2
2010s: 5

Winter mean temp:

1990s: 4.77C
2000s: 5.08C
2010s: 4.69C

The 2010s are almost unanimously better, despite the last few years being poor. Sure, 2010-2013 heavily weigh up the 2010s, but 1991, 1996 and 1997 did the same in the 1990s.

Are you sure about the 90's winter months of at least 1c below average? that doesn't add up. I live in Essex and have winter records going back to 1983, off my head I can think of at least 6 (maybe more) 90's winter months that were in that category: Dec 1990, Feb 1991, Dec 1995, Feb 1996, Dec 1996 and January 1997 so I'm sure if Essex had these cold months that Hebdon did in Yorkshire too. Could also scrutinise 2010's 1c below - to my knowledge only Jan and Feb 2010 and Dec 2010 have made the grade (so 3 in all) and Hadley Centre backs this up!

The winter mean average temp for '2010''s undoubtedly skewed by the very cold month of December 2010...on the whole I would say the 90's in more southern Britain undoubtedly were cooler than 2010's but there will be variations around our Isles.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Might have been a bit previous there crewe !! Next week looks cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I was born in 1987 and I remember the 90s being pretty rubbish for snow on the whole. I think the past decade has been much better.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Are you sure about the 90's winter months of at least 1c below average? that doesn't add up. I live in Essex and have winter records going back to 1983, off my head I can think of at least 6 (maybe more) 90's winter months that were in that category: Dec 1990, Feb 1991, Dec 1995, Feb 1996, Dec 1996 and January 1997 so I'm sure if Essex had these cold months that Hebdon did in Yorkshire too. Could also scrutinise 2010's 1c below - to my knowledge only Jan and Feb 2010 and Dec 2010 have made the grade (so 3 in all) and Hadley Centre backs this up!

The winter mean average temp for '2010''s undoubtedly skewed by the very cold month of December 2010...on the whole I would say the 90's in more southern Britain undoubtedly were cooler than 2010's but there will be variations around our Isles.

I believe he is quoting his own personal figures.. as you say, there is bound to be variation. Essex can very well have colder months than places up north, at least relative to average - indeed many parts of the SE were colder than here in months like Jan 1963, Jan 1987 etc. Easterlies often deliver colder weather down there than they do up here due to your closer proximity to the continent.

Jan 2013 was almost 1C below average in England, and of course March 2013 was very cold.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yes I know...still seem to be a lot of discrepancies. So his argument (reef) is based on Yorkshire v Staffordshire then (I remember Atlantic 252) as he is remarking that 90's were better as per top of the page, not that much distance between them maybe elevation thing?...on the other side of the coin he seems to have experienced  more 2010's 1c below average months then down in my neck of the woods as I've only recorded 3. By the way Jan 2013 was only 0.3c below normal.

But as mentioned no doubt regional variations but I'd say from my experience the 90's have been slightly better than the 2010's which had a number of cold months clustered (2010).

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

John Hammonds latest monthly forecast

• Cold weather dominates
  • Snow and ice hazards
  • Milder interludes

Full forecast for subscribers is here https://weathertrending.com/2019/01/25/john-hammond-month-ahead-icy-february/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Im not sure why people get criticised for calling it like it is, what are we supposed to say, that it has been an absolutely magnificent winter and 100% will give us even 'more' snow that we have had?

• Like 5

Posted
50 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

John Hammonds latest monthly forecast

• Cold weather dominates
  • Snow and ice hazards
  • Milder interludes

Full forecast for subscribers is here https://weathertrending.com/2019/01/25/john-hammond-month-ahead-icy-february/

Looks like he's just following the MetO forecast...John and team were hardly correct for December were they?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Looks like he's just following the MetO forecast...John and team were hardly correct for December were they?

I seem to remember he struggled with last August to the expected breakdown just kept getting delayed same seems to be happening with the cold bar the occasional cold snap it's not really happening yet

• Like 1