Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Well, up here in North East Wales we had our first snow of the winter today. :oldgood:

4FA2C21D-07EF-4E16-ADCF-21EA59439F92.jpeg

88FDD96A-4F5F-4ACA-A014-1E950D4F5743.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

After that awful hot summer in 2018 and seemingly endless mild weather early in winter this colder weather is just what we need.  Finally, the spiders that routinely build webs around the tops of our washing line poles have died off.  About time!  

Edited by Mr TOAD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

i dunno about this 50p debate you know. I'm old enough to remember the old bigger 50p coins, and i'm talking that size

living near the coast in the south-west, it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's normally marginal

I've seen the ground get covered fast before, if those 50p's come down hard enough... sadly, the drip drip sounds soon follow, when it stops

Posted
5 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

Absolutely! This misconception that big flakes are good is disappointing on a weather forum, where one would expect people to observe snowfall enough to have established the difference. That dry tiny powder snow accumulates far faster because the entire lot settles, whereas much of the 50p flake type wet snow melts as it settles and comes into contact with the warmer surface. We'll know where in Narnia when it pellets it down.

It depends. I recall several snow events in the 80s where it started with big flakes coming down like bird feathers in the afternoon and reaching 3-6 inches in an hour or two before clearing and freezing at dusk. (I remember because I used to work in front of a series of picture windows and would wonder what my walk home of 3 miles was going to be like.) Perhaps it would pay not to generalise too much. I'd say most often you would probably be correct but mother nature has so many tricks up her sleeve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

The Winter of 47 started at this time of the month.......you never know

Posted

Anybody around Buxton? It's been snowing there for hours, according to radar.

Derbyshire County Council said they had closed the A53, Buxton to Leek road; the A54, Buxton to Congleton road, the A57 Snake Pass and the A537 Buxton to Macclesfield road (Cat and Fiddle).

Read more at: https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/roads-closed-as-heavy-snow-falls-in-high-peak-1-9546059

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/weather-traffic-moorlands-police-snow-2445640

A few pics

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/snow-in-derbyshire-live-updates-2445579

Edited by Aleman

Posted

Snowing here now. Started as sloppy 50p pieces. Now drier 20p pieces. It's settling on unsalted surfaces even though radar has only said sleet. Temperature dropped from 2.2C to 0.7C.

Posted

well it's time to moan... always happens doesn't it? soon as people start saying "it's nailed on" - then it goes tits up

i expect certain posters will become silent for a while (75 to 80 percent) for another beast eh?

Posted

oh boy, now we have to deal with the tv, and paper forecasts, that are still using the old data, and telling people a big freeze is on the way, time to walk away from this for a while

Posted
5 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

i expect certain posters will become silent for a while (75 to 80 percent) for another beast eh?

If anything its more the other way round.....its so blatantly obvious that quite a few people are almost completely absent from the MOD thread, and then as soon as there's a downgrade, they absolutely love posting charts that show a slightly worse outcome. 

Its just people's nature I think, but I do find it funny. There's literally no words to describe that thread, and some of the people in it (from both sides of the camp)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

well it's time to moan... always happens doesn't it? soon as people start saying "it's nailed on" - then it goes tits up

could be busy/out of course, but SM loves the ECM, no comments on last 2 ECM runs? hmm

• Like 1

Posted

Just spoke to a Seniro Operational Meteorologist for the Met Office, and they are still going for cold (like the long range forecasts suggests)

I don't think it's over until UKMO starts jumping ship.. Hoping it'll stay firm, and the others start to follow.

• Like 7

Posted
42 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Just spoke to a Seniro Operational Meteorologist for the Met Office, and they are still going for cold (like the long range forecasts suggests)

I don't think it's over until UKMO starts jumping ship.. Hoping it'll stay firm, and the others start to follow.

Does that include into February? Or mostly for the end of January only? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Runcible Spoon said:

Heavy being the operative word.

The front looks pretty active on GFS for Tues, so could be a good test of your theory Matt (which I don't disagree with)

Moved this over here as it's not model discussion. 

I've seen many a heavy and prolonged shower/front result in several inches of snow having begun as rain.

The longer it persists for, combined with how heavy it is and how much temperatures are dropping are all factors in the consideration though. If it's heavy enough it will stick though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Must say I'm pleased that the extreme model outputs have disappeared - our local A&E is on the verge of collapse, and the hospital of which it is a part is near-bankrupt.  Bad weather would probably finish both off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

What happened to the beast from the east????I've been away from the models 36hrs???

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

What happened to the beast from the east????I've been away from the models 36hrs???

It's vanished LOL. 

• Like 1

Posted

well there we have it folks, our 1 and only chance of a decent cold spell has all but gone, i have to admit being disappointed, but on the plus side, half marathon training will be alot milder and dryer, and the £10 bet i had with the wife on this being a snowless winter looks very good.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

well there we have it folks, our 1 and only chance of a decent cold spell has all but gone, i have to admit being disappointed, but on the plus side, half marathon training will be alot milder and dryer, and the £10 bet i had with the wife on this being a snowless winter looks very good.

After February 2018 we were never going to get a cold one this year.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

After February 2018 we were never going to get a cold one this year.

You know, you could make an awful lot of money if you worked for all the global weather forecasting agencies!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Rambo said:

You know, you could make an awful lot of money if you worked for all the global weather forecasting agencies!!

Law of averages really.

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Law of averages really.

After that comment, I'll change my comment.....you'd be penniless instead lol