Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted

and so the hunt for cold and snow continue, yes things are due to turn chillier but the deep cold and snow have missed us again, i guess until we can get it into our heads that until snow is falling in our backyards we have to take any forecast with a huge pinch of salt. Models that show such potential 10 days away are never going to come off, i for one am now of the opinion that our tiny island will see winters turning ever milder.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC/Meteo 24hr forecast has snow along M62 corridor tonight, then East Midlands and London tomorrow morning. The suggestion is it might get down to low levels wherever it hits down  that eastern side. The Met office is also suggesting snow showers in the morning down the west coast - even possibly into Cornwall and Devon. I presume it would be restricted to high ground there. It looks like the snowier models are winning so far. Temperature forecasts for the next few days also look to be dropping a bit lower than before.  Maybe there is a bit more hope for snow in the South and at lower levels.

It's already snowing up high on the A66 across the northern Pennines amongst the rain of the first weather front. The temperature here is 7.8C, from 8.4C an hour ago, and the clouds are starting to get that undefined wintery look of snow higher up.

Edit - Highest ground in North Wales also has a touch of sleet and snow on radar already.

Edited by Aleman

Posted

Didn't know where to ask so I guess I'll try here. 

How comes places like Hokkaido (Japan) that are further south than UK on a lower latitude have lying snow on the ground well into spring whereas over here the sun is too strong for snow to be long lasting in march? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
2 hours ago, Zesyph said:

How comes places like Hokkaido (Japan) that are further south than UK on a lower latitude have lying snow on the ground well into spring whereas over here the sun is too strong for snow to be long lasting in march? 

Hi Zesyph,

I'll have a stab at answering this, if I can. Between 30 and 60 degrees North, the prevailing wind blows from West to East. 

See diagram below:

image.thumb.png.4e33f5c06466c52e75142694c98a3124.png

Consequently, winds are blowing from the very cold interior of Asia and flowing towards Japan, in Winter. Whereas the prevailing westerlies in our part of the Northern Hemisphere, are flowing in from the relatively mild, Atlantic Ocean.

Unfortunately for cold and snow lovers, here in the U.K, we have a temperate, Maritime Climate. The British Isles has a similar Climate to Western Columbia (between 50 and 60 degrees, north) in Canada. At a similar latitude to the U.K., that part of Canada also has a vast, relatively mild, Ocean to it's West.

I hope that explanation helps.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Zesyph said:

The Gulf Stream, plus we have a maritime climate.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, eddy88888 said:

I really hope it stays nice and mild and dry as a postman that is perfect for me, dont want the cold and snow, and looking at the runs today looks like mild is winning happy days 

lucky living in 2019, when I was a kid, cold and snow was common, now rare

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Er, Hokkaido sees snow linger well into spring because it's one of the snowiest places in the world. Even when the weather turns warm it can take weeks - if not months - to melt snow when your annual average is 5metres+.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/10/28/how-much-does-it-snow-in-japan/

• Like 1

Posted

when are they going to learn in the mod thread, tonights excitement will be the mornings doom and gloom.  

image.png.868067243a7a52db2ef09b04d60556ca.png

Posted
7 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Zesyph,

I'll have a stab at answering this, if I can. Between 30 and 60 degrees North, the prevailing wind blows from West to East. 

See diagram below:

image.thumb.png.4e33f5c06466c52e75142694c98a3124.png

Consequently, winds are blowing from the very cold interior of Asia and flowing towards Japan, in Winter. Whereas the prevailing westerlies in our part of the Northern Hemisphere, are flowing in from the relatively mild, Atlantic Ocean.

Unfortunately for cold and snow lovers, here in the U.K, we have a temperate, Maritime Climate. The British Isles has a similar Climate to Western Columbia (between 50 and 60 degrees, north) in Canada. At a similar latitude to the U.K., that part of Canada also has a vast, relatively mild, Ocean to it's West.

I hope that explanation helps.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. That does make sense. Japan stood out to me as they are also a small island like us but obviously in a very different location. Siberian winds on a westerly flow, glad to have learned something new

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, sparky1972 said:

when are they going to learn in the mod thread, tonights excitement will be the mornings doom and gloom.  

image.png.868067243a7a52db2ef09b04d60556ca.png

People can only report on what they see. Go back to the old model threads and read up on the week(s) leading upto memorable cold spells (e.g 2013 & 2018). The model thread is a great tool in keeping a record of the drama/hysteria/science whatever you want to call it and reflecting upon it. 

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 1

Posted

well i have to admit to being surprised this morning that the mood in the Mod thread was so positive, but i guess now the only way is downgrades for a while and get to some half way point so chilly yes, maybe a bit of snow for the hills

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Nice and cold out there today, frosty too all day in the shady spots.  Classic winter weather.  How anyone can prefer the mild, wet Atlantic dross that passes for our winter weather most of the time is beyond me.

Posted

oh dear, looks like we have swapped the normal early morning disappointment to early evening disappointment, all things not rosey in the Mod thread garden

image.png.1ebd0e033d9ddc522eadf7f7da140952.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, sparky1972 said:

oh dear, looks like we have swapped the normal early morning disappointment to early evening disappointment, all things not rosey in the Mod thread garden

image.png.1ebd0e033d9ddc522eadf7f7da140952.png

?? Seems fine to me!

Posted

MetO are now hinting of possible disruptive snow next week

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Might as well get some practice in........

1193967932_SnowBoardingRamp.thumb.gif.834024fea9158845449167764251102c.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

I'm sick.  I get a real kick out of the disruption that snowfall brings.   I mean, yeah I love the fun stuff, the snowmen with the kids, snowball fights etc, i love the sound of silence it brings, the muffled noises and orange glows of white streets but i also really love the chaos which accompanies it.  Cars sliding, abandoned, stuck, people slipping and sliding all over the place, nothing moving, country at a standstill, gives me a real kick. 

That must be a sickness, it cant be normal. 

But I think its because it also brings out the best in people... helping others, talking, sharing stories, laughing etc.  

Or maybe i'm just sick.  

Who knows. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
29 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

I'm sick.  I get a real kick out of the disruption that snowfall brings.   I mean, yeah I love the fun stuff, the snowmen with the kids, snowball fights etc, i love the sound of silence it brings, the muffled noises and orange glows of white streets but i also really love the chaos which accompanies it.  Cars sliding, abandoned, stuck, people slipping and sliding all over the place, nothing moving, country at a standstill, gives me a real kick. 

That must be a sickness, it cant be normal. 

But I think its because it also brings out the best in people... helping others, talking, sharing stories, laughing etc.  

Or maybe i'm just sick.  

Who knows. 

Lol...no not sick BD don’t worry. I think we all have a bit of that in us during proper wintery spells...it’s the excitement...and you’re so right in saying it brings out that helpful, caring side. Plus, we all know it won’t last forever so we just make the most of it on our little island. Carpe diem!

• Like 1

Posted

morning all, well plenty of postitve feedback in the Mod thread regarding the incomming chilly spell, for MBY we have some rain to get through tonight/tomorrow then a rainy showery day on tuesday then the forecast is for mostly cloudy skies and daytime temps no lower than 4/5c so feeling a bit more like winter but no deep freeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

John Hammonds latest monthly forecast

• Increasingly cold end to January
  • Several snowfalls possible
  • Some milder spells in February

Subscribers can read the full forecast here: https://weathertrending.com/2019/01/18/john-hammond-month-ahead-winter-freeze-over/

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

50p flakes means things are marginal, what you really want is tiny, dry powder snowfall, when that type of snow falls you know you’re in a cold spell!

All the models have their flaws.. I tend to use EURO4/APERGE blend but it depends how they fit in with the other Hi-Res models. 

Absolutely! This misconception that big flakes are good is disappointing on a weather forum, where one would expect people to observe snowfall enough to have established the difference. That dry tiny powder snow accumulates far faster because the entire lot settles, whereas much of the 50p flake type wet snow melts as it settles and comes into contact with the warmer surface. We'll know where in Narnia when it pellets it down.