Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted

Well, there was snow for most of the UK next week and it's been reined back to only Scotland.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=16&ech=204&carte=1

I lost count of snow flurries here last year. We ended up around 12-15 though the heaviest only amounted to about 2 inches and melted in not much more than a day. We've had two blink-and-miss dustings this year so the constant snow-in-two-weeks forecasts are getting tiresome. Just one small settled spell would do for a seasonal feel but I fear more cold rain is coming. It feels like we are not going to have a winter to speak of - though I'm grateful it's been a bit brighter in the last few days and I saw my first snow drop in flower today. That is cheering. Daff shoots around here are up to 4 inches in places so they look like being in flower if the constantly predicted snow ever gets here

Posted
17 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol I lived in the US for 25 years and I'm Not american 

I mean, once you live in a country for a while, you become accustomed to the climate. Canadians, usually become blasé about Snowfall after it’s been around for a few days to a week. This is probably down to the fact, that even in a mild winter snow is still a given. Whereas in the UK, or should I say Southern England, we can go 3 or 4 years without the white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well it gives hope for any arctic air streams here. If cold air can travel over the Med and still bring snow to moderate altitude in North Africa, it can do it low altitude here in the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I mean, once you live in a country for a while, you become accustomed to the climate. Canadians, usually become blasé about Snowfall after it’s been around for a few days to a week. This is probably down to the fact, that even in a mild winter snow is still a given. Whereas in the UK, or should I say Southern England, we can go 3 or 4 years without the white stuff.

that's one of the pluses of living in southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Sadly starting to think this will turn out to be a rainbow winter...when the pot of gold gets near it just vanishes.

• Like 1

Posted

Well there we have it folks, winter is done, lol.  A few sleety showers here this morning in a chilly wind, but with temps back up to low double figures by the weekend spring is on its way,  lol.  Lets hope that global warming does not scupper our chances of seeing snow during winter 2019/20.  Haha. 

Posted

<font color=purple>I thought the drizzle felt sleety this morning - I just checked weather radar and it shows numerous snow and sleet showers across Yorkshire (sunny 3.6C here currently) and North Lincolnshire and some sleet all the way to East Anglia.  And again we have snow for high ground just about anywhere in UK next week - beware that this the 4th or 5th time we've had it in the pipeline, though. More rain , then?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=16&amp;ech=204&amp;carte=1

Edited by Aleman

Posted
12 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

that's one of the pluses of living in southern England

I would take snow over damp wet and cloudy weather, which seems to be the order of the day. 

A dry cold day with some sunshine is the best though. 

Posted
2 hours ago, sparky1972 said:

Well there we have it folks, winter is done, lol.  A few sleety showers here this morning in a chilly wind, but with temps back up to low double figures by the weekend spring is on its way,  lol.  Lets hope that global warming does not scupper our chances of seeing snow during winter 2019/20.  Haha. 

I find it laughable that people write winter off as early as now. We still have roughly 7 weeks to go before we can confidently put winter behind us. My guess is, spring will produce something unexpected and cold. I hope not though, as I don’t like seeing snow once we move into late March and early April. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

At least it's foggy where I am.  Right?  Right??  Fog's sort of wintry isn't it.  

Edited by Mr TOAD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

they had the mild ramper on the 6:30 BBC news, 'mild mild mild' was said at the start, as i reached for my remote off button

with winds from the NW for a lot of the time, it really isn't going to feel that mild, we are not drawing up air from north africa or anything

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Mr TOAD said:

At least it's foggy where I am.  Right?  Right??  Fog's sort of wintry isn't it.  

kind of not, signals the change to much warmer air, next 5 days or so, feels milder already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
12 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

they had the mild ramper on the 6:30 BBC news, 'mild mild mild' was said at the start, as i reached for my remote off button

with winds from the NW for a lot of the time, it really isn't going to feel that mild, we are not drawing up air from north africa or anything

Darren Bett is swiftly becoming my least favourite TV forecaster.  Him and his precious Atlantic Air.

Posted
2 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

10C is 10C no ramping about it. It'll still be a mild week regardless of wind direction.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

i put the reliable time frame at around 2-3 days.. maybe 5 at a push (with cross model agreement)

been bitten too many times in the past. Champagne on the only ice around here (freezer) for the moment 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

Can anyone see a 1947 event occurring on the similarities? Has been rather chilly -36 in the yukon but imagine that it is always cold this time of year. Going to warm up there though by all accounts. Still some charts looked really good for us receiving a prolonged period of cold. Getting my head around them. Thanks to all you informative people who post knowledge to us that are less competent at Reading these charts, let alone ensembles lol keep trying it isn't easy understanding the weather.

Main similarity is the date 23rd.

It was a Thursday this time a wednesday. Lol

High temperatures throughout the summer and early autumn.

High summer temperatures related to near mean yearly temp as of cold second half of winter.

Nw Scotland to have a dry February, as recent charts have it forecast.

Snow melt will bring up mean annual rainfall totals.

I think this could be the old kent rd come the 23rd lol Screenshot_2019-01-11-19-23-57-1.thumb.png.59a786725dead27917de40af551c7704.png

Final similarity if I was alive then I would still want it to hit us all hard. Even knowing how bad it could be.

Leave u with this thought47-19Screenshot_2019-01-11-19-25-39-1.thumb.png.01ae6dd9e294250c9966e322583c833f.png

#becarefulwhatuwish4

Edited by icykev
mistake