Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

did you have winter tyres on

Oh yes lassie lol.

My current Subaru outback has Goodyear Alpine grip on all corners 

Ive been using winter tyres for 25 years now.

Some winters not much use

But others invaluable 

Posted

A set of winter tyres is cheaper than replacing a crashed car.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

A set of winter tyres is cheaper than replacing a crashed car.

so you were the only car moving that night lol

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

so you were the only car moving that night lol

Yeah pretty much lol

I towed an ambulance to top of a hill

On a 999 call.

I remember also helping a young mother and her children to a main road..

Conditions were treacherous 

In winter if snow is forecast never go North East of York 

Without checking the local roads out and the local weather forecast. 

Or message me lol lol 

Posted
8 hours ago, sorepaw1 said:

Indeed if i remember i was stuck behind 97 stranded cars on the B1249 in East Yorkshire it made BBC News24..

I turned round in my Subaru and did a 30 mile round trip in blizzards back to North Yorkshire.. fond memories lol

I can’t believe that event is now 10 years ago. It’s crazy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.

Since I'll be accused of negativity if I post in the Hunt for Cold thread I've turned to here if you don't mind.

The fact is that neither the GFS nor EC ensembles show anything resembling a winter nirvana. That whole thread is more about what isn't showing in the models but might in future than it is about model discussion. 

If people are supposed to get excited over cherry picked charts from one ens member at 360 then so be it. But it looks to me as though the 'expert' group think is that SSW willl deliver something in the future, so any suggestion to the contrary is not permitted even if the models do not actually show anything at trop level which would deliver a snowflake. 

Am I alone in this frustration?

Edited by Borei
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow upon snow upon SNOW!!!

Hey peeps, anyone else notice the random advert spliced into the adverts on ITV last night from united utilities (water suppliers in Yorkshire)?

must have been paid for and was quite a lengthy one about a guy not doing the “one job” he had to do which was to make sure he had clad his water pipes to protect them from freezing!!!...hmmmmm

never see adverts from united utilities on’t telly???... do we think maybe they have some info of an up coming VERY cold spell maybe???☃️☃️☃️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow/ice

As others have said; Feb 2009 would be good as well for me

Feb 2018 was very good though; more so for the week we were in Dunkeld; heavy frosts every night and then heavy snow Tuesday evening and it was still falling on the following Sunday when we left

Thank goodness for heavy cars and decent winter tyres ;) This is the reason why I run winters on my BMWs every year, without failure! 

Posted
45 minutes ago, NDMLimited said:

As others have said; Feb 2009 would be good as well for me

Feb 2018 was very good though; more so for the week we were in Dunkeld; heavy frosts every night and then heavy snow Tuesday evening and it was still falling on the following Sunday when we left

Thank goodness for heavy cars and decent winter tyres ;) This is the reason why I run winters on my BMWs every year, without failure! 

A repeat of Feb 2018, December 2010 or 09 would be welcomed. 

• Like 1

Posted

well here we are, 2nd January and i have cut the lawn for the first time in 2019, and with no sign of any prolonged cold spell on the horizon and me being a gardener it looks like work will be picking up early this year.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

well here we are, 2nd January and i have cut the lawn for the first time in 2019, and with no sign of any prolonged cold spell on the horizon and me being a gardener it looks like work will be picking up early this year.

That’s a good thing though, as far as work goes. My partner was so frustrated how diffcult it was for her to work until mid March last year, because of the colder winter. Even then, it wasn’t consistent until early April, because of the bitter cold and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Meanwhile here in the West Country it was frosty last night with patches still left on the lawn, so definitely no grass mowing going on here. Haven't been able to mow the grass since the very start of November when the taps turned on - been too wet since!

My moan for today is achieving a record high pressure reading and it STILL clouding over lol. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s a good thing though, as far as work goes. My partner was so frustrated how diffcult it was for her to work until mid March last year, because of the colder winter. Even then, it wasn’t consistent until early April, because of the bitter cold and rain.

its very good as far as work goes, wife said i need to earn my spending money for when the lads and i have our cpl of motor racing weeks away this year, lol, and if stays mild it will make the half marathon training more enjoyable, haha. 

Posted

bbc forecast says a cpl of chilly days before temps recovering to normal for this time of year, enjoy winter folks, its going to be over by the weekend, lol. 

Posted

'Winter'? What a load of old rubbish.

Think most of my posts will be going in here for the forseeable - wouldnt be suprised if we see a wet and windy Jan after the 1st week of calm weather.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think most of my posts will be going in here for the forseeable - wouldnt be suprised if we see a wet and windy Jan after the 1st week of calm weather.

That was my 'inkling' a week or so ago...we're certainly in a holding pattern at the moment so it might go one way or the other or we could just get a lot of non descript weather, wouldn't pay too much attention to the MetO 30 dayer (been poor the last month or so). No rain for a while so at least that's a bonus  

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where to post this, but there has been a lot of criticism of Chris Fawkes mild ramping, however on News 24 he just said -

....cold arctic air working in across eastern Europe, bringing some snowfall and yes, we could even see some snow for a time getting down to some pretty low levels in Greece and Turkey, so a story to keep an eye on. For us though the area of high pressure is keeping all of that fun weather away - I like snow you see...

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

The Americans are beginning to wonder about winter

• Like 2

Posted

least the meto prove you can’t forecast upto 30 days ahead with any accuracy,only time they ever got one correct was lead upto the cold dec of 2010.

they try and forecast the next two weeks ahead then the next two,and they been miles out,supposed to be cold and snow in earlier january?

Wonder how much it costs to buy these seasonal models,and who exactly is paying for them

Posted
19 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The Americans are beginning to wonder about winter

After the last few Winters the Americans have had, I'd say they deserve it.

Edited by parrotingfantasist

Posted

Cheer up!

Radar shows it is currently snowing on North York Moors and Peak District just west of Sheffield, It's 4C and spotting rain here and we are low down so a dusting of snow in hills is not surprising really.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Gah!! The frustration continues..... Meto forecast has also pushed this back again to now saying milder/wetter mid month and the cold spell being the end of the month now..... but I'm trying to remain hopefully of SOMETHING to come our way before the end of winter and we've still plenty of time so let's hope! We also know how quickly the models can suddenly turn and cold weather suddenly pop up from nowhere - and that's without SSW's and other background signals!

Edited by weathergeek
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

oi! that's my kind of post, thing is though, think you're right