Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I did see clear blue sky here today early this afternoon but it only lasted about an hour, otherwise it was dull and grey as usual lately.

was it mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

was it mild

Of course. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Saying ‘at least it’s mild’ in winter is the same as saying ‘at least it’s cold’ in summer... or ‘at least it’s dry’ in a desert...

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 2

Posted

Several posts in the model thread regarding forecasting of HLB & SSW!

The real experts should be able to call these situations because of their knowledge, experience and access to reliable data.

But, nothing is 'set-in-stone' when it comes to Mother Nature and the atmosphere.

It will often make fools of even the most knowledgeable meteorologists and climate experts.

But, it's still far too early to write-off any positive effects (in terms of cold into UK) of the current and any future SSW's.

On the face of it, it does look like this particular event will probably fail for UK.

But, we've still got at least 8 weeks of winter (excluding any exceptional events in March) to see changes in pattern and possibly experience a decent wintry spell of weather.

Unfortunately, we won't see another 1947 or 1963 and I doubt we ever will again!

However, please remain patient cold lovers, I recon our wishes will be granted.   :cold:

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Seasonal weather this is not,working today and after lugging 3 70kg bits of kit up 3 flights of stairs coming out into 12c temps isn't what i call refreshing!....From what i'm seeing could be the first winter for a long time i'm staying in shorts,just a touch of Winter would be nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
40 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

What a load of crap from the GFs 6z run. Fed up of this chasing for HLB malarky!

still think it's better than yesterdays 6Z, not as unsettled for a start

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, i think i am on a para now after that GFS run.

The two things I wanted this festive period was some good northern blocking and Mike Ashley to sell NUFC. So far I have neither, but I can tell you which one is more likely!

• Like 1

Posted

Nah! Those "background signals" touted over last few weeks aint playing ball with our set of maritime islands, which are merely a dot in the N Hemisphere, and, of course, are heavily influenced by the gulf stream.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

It means hee haw for our islands until mid to late January. 

Another poor day in the search for cold.

Late February it is then.........  

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It means hee haw for our islands until mid to late January. 

Another poor day in the search for cold.

Yep the old expanded Hadley cell good old global warming you can thank for that this winter keeps on giving...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

That freezing spell last March could have been better .

Because the severe cold got so far west it blew up the Atlantic. It was a  very unusual set up.

It was almost a reverse set up to what we see in the USA, we often bemoan that deep cold spilling east into the Atlantic and firing up the jet stream , this time it was the deep cold from the east getting too far doing the same .

Oh I dunno... I quite liked it on the south coast!

EAA25723-6117-4DDE-9262-D2E06FE6BC30.thumb.jpeg.0959d5a46c13d5c61d167f8f8261dcb5.jpegEE9A6E20-166D-4AF5-AC23-69A2169344AE.thumb.jpeg.c0c7aa4755de5243b53bd23bc5de2636.jpegCEC4008F-685E-4D11-A56C-8081E8E39899.thumb.jpeg.29f4174e9eac2119dc37b7b447afd59e.jpegF847FE7F-8BF6-4090-8D1F-93AF3A5F56F6.thumb.jpeg.953c96602a5df714b108cfc9869317e9.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That freezing spell last March could have been better .

Depends where you were. A lot of places got a lot of snow.

First with the beast which was awesome.

Storm Emma gave huge amounts across particularly the sw of the UK and over Ireland but I do recall it cleared the south coast of England northward faster than people would have liked and wasn't a particularly active series of fronts there.

I'd have preferred it a bit earlier in the year but it was still a truly awesome event for most.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, CanadaAl said:

What was on Twitter? EC46?

Think he's talking about his Islington trendies getting whooped by ruthless German efficiency!!!

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh I dunno... I quite liked it on the south coast!

EAA25723-6117-4DDE-9262-D2E06FE6BC30.thumb.jpeg.0959d5a46c13d5c61d167f8f8261dcb5.jpegEE9A6E20-166D-4AF5-AC23-69A2169344AE.thumb.jpeg.c0c7aa4755de5243b53bd23bc5de2636.jpegCEC4008F-685E-4D11-A56C-8081E8E39899.thumb.jpeg.29f4174e9eac2119dc37b7b447afd59e.jpegF847FE7F-8BF6-4090-8D1F-93AF3A5F56F6.thumb.jpeg.953c96602a5df714b108cfc9869317e9.jpeg

With the way things are going, you will be lucky to see anything like that this winter.....

Posted
38 minutes ago, Don said:

With the way things are going, you will be lucky to see anything like that this winter.....

It's december. Winter is about a week old.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Spikey M said:

It's december. Winter is about a week old.

Hmm...more like a month old. 

Then again, March can be either an extension of Winter or start of early Spring.

It is prob worth saying that UK Winters are most often a mix of wet, windy,  mild mixed with short, sharp colder interludes. That is the reality....not long drawn out cold and snowy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Hmm...more like a month old. 

Then again, March can be either an extension of Winter or start of early Spring.

It is prob worth saying that UK Winters are most often a mix of wet, windy,  mild mixed with short, sharp colder interludes. That is the reality....not long drawn out cold and snowy.

Unfortunately that is true  - In my lifetime there has been more mild than cold Winters in the UK. We do not have a Continental climate. Whilst years ago we did have slightly more frequent colder spells that was it..... slightly. We had the odd big one 46/47...62/63 etc. You could easily add 2009/2010 into that as well as Nov/Dec 2010. But severe spells of Winter weather have always been hard to come by here in the UK - milder has dominated ....you can blame that big body of water to our west. But when we do get proper cold and snow it's all the more satisfying. We will get another big freeze.

• Like 6

Posted
46 minutes ago, cold snap said:

Mods. 

Can we start a new thread please.

Heading into Christmas? I'm done with it. Thank you 

Yeah they should rename it hunt for cold model discussion thread heading flipping nowhere

Looking more and more likely that  whatever the chance is of much colder weather has been pushed back beyond mid month now.Lets hope the wait it worth it,unlike last Match where all the snow went west,from an easterly wind,could you believe it

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Blimey.. pass me the violin... first time in here in ages and it’s all doom and gloom. It’s not even January yet!! 

Chill!!

• Like 5