Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Another dull day ahead . Nov/ Dec 2018 have been as interesting weather wise as watching paint dry. Totally forgettable and ruining somewhat what was an interesting year wrt the weather overall. I recorded colder minimums in Oct  (couple  of air frosts) this yr then dec.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, sundog said:

Another dull day ahead . Nov/ Dec 2018 have been as interesting weather wise as watching paint dry. Totally forgettable and ruining somewhat what was an interesting year wrt the weather overall. I recorded colder minimums in Oct  (couple  of air frosts) this yr then dec.

Agreed! The only saving grace here in November was the spell of thunderstorms in the 10th and 12th, and that beautiful sunny weekend a week later. Other than that, trash!  It makes average December weather look cold...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's amazing to think that the bizarre month of Dec 2015 was 3c warmer than this one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, .jay said:

There was a bit of a slack easterly component for some eastern areas 1st half of this month.  Maybe that's 'distorted' the averages a bit. 

(PS I would also say Dec 2015 was 3 degrees more interesting)

Terrible month for flooding though, glad there's nothing like it this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
52 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

GFS 06Z looks fantastic!   :cold:

If you live in Lithuania, Belarus or Ukraine! 

Looking Baltic.... In the Baltics 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very dreary December here, November wasn’t much better, either. At least no damaging gales, thankfully but it would be nice to at least have some frosts, fogs and sunshine. Plenty of time for cold, am not worried. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Somehow amongst this dull, mild December, Christmas Day this year was the first for a while that the temperature didn’t reach double figures. Maybe that just shows how bad a lot of Decembers have been lately. 

Still seems unlikely I’ll even see a frost this month let alone anything remotely cold.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

whatever happened to cold and frosty highs in a winter,with frost lingering all day?

they have gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
30 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

they have gone

Yep! I mentioned that the other day...we get so few days with fairly persisting frosts it's untrue. Xmas morning so far this late Autumn/Winter has been the highlight with minima just below freezing and the first slight ice I've seen on puddles, this was a regular feature even in Novembers back in the mid 90's and further back, all we seem to get now days is dull, damp/wet interspersed with brighter conditions and largely mild.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

whatever happened to cold and frosty highs in a winter,with frost lingering all day?

Just in thelast week we had three days with air frosts including an ice day on Christmas Eve. A further three days had grass frosts with ice on car windscreens etc. 

Not like that today though. Sunny at +7C. A big improvement on the gloomy damp mild Boxing day.

Posted
1 minute ago, Norrance said:

Just in thelast week we had three days with air frosts including an ice day on Christmas Eve. A further three days had grass frosts with ice on car windscreens etc. 

Not like that today though. Sunny at +7C. A big improvement on the gloomy damp mild Boxing day.

This is one of the most frost-free Decembers I can remember, really poor in the south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

This is one of the most frost-free Decembers I can remember, really poor in the south.

I live in South Manchester and I've had one or two. It's been pitiful.

Posted

If weather could be compared to food this spell would be a boiled potato without even butter to slightly deblandify it. I feel part of my soul draining away every time I look at the forecast and see the same mind-numbing nothingness.

If anyone has any ideas other than attempted hibernation I'm all ears. I tried thinking of November/December 2015 to remind me how worse things could be but that just made me feel queasy - good grief what a ghastly period that was. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

If weather could be compared to food this spell would be a boiled potato without even butter to slightly deblandify it. I feel part of my soul draining away every time I look at the forecast and see the same mind-numbing nothingness.

If anyone has any ideas other than attempted hibernation I'm all ears. I tried thinking of November/December 2015 to remind me how worse things could be but that just made me feel queasy - good grief what a ghastly period that was. 

At least December 2015 was interesting because of how ridiculously warm it was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

At least December 2015 was interesting because of how ridiculously warm it was!

I bet there was more sun then too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looking at archives for Dec '15, meteociel, seems repeat of this year, for here anyway, not a flake of snow, very few frosts

Posted
16 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I bet there was more sun then too. 

image.thumb.png.0b30760e5c037b2a360b851dc047ff04.png

Was pretty poor for most.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

image.thumb.png.0b30760e5c037b2a360b851dc047ff04.png

Was pretty poor for most.

It’ll be interesting to see how that compares to this December then as I’ve hardly seen the sun here. Then again it’s a bit ironic me posting this when the suns shining outside right now  

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Trying to think if we ever had a winter of no snow after snow has fallen in October and November in the previous autumn. This winter is certainly heading that way. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
6 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

Had one the other day the 24th. Frost lasted all day only to melt overnight.

Posted

We had it on December 4th. The low had been -1.8C and the high was 2.7C. (It was the day the Met Office recorded Linton-on-Ouse at -3.5C and Topcliffe at -6.1C.) The bird bath had 10mm of ice and the frost lasted all day, though only in shaded areas. Sunny areas lasted until after lunch.

Edited by Aleman