Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

There's a member on here who keeps saying it's going to be cold, late Nov, then mid Dec, then late Dec, never posts charts to back things up, cannot give members names out though against the rules

but this member is always wrong, and time for I.L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
39 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

There's a member on here who keeps saying it's going to be cold, late Nov, then mid Dec, then late Dec, never posts charts to back things up, cannot give members names out though against the rules

but this member is always wrong, and time for I.L

I'm still waiting for the torpedo!  fact is the weather makes a fool of us all, even ones who have more knowledge of it.

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Next month will mark 6 years since we had any measurable snow in the winter months (Dec, Jan, Feb). March 2018 managed a couple of 1cm covers in the easterly spells, but apart from that, nothing.

Its a rather unusual and depressing run. Snow has become less frequent on average, but I never thought I would see nothing for such an extended period.

I thjnk the part of the problem was, we were spoilt between 2008/09 until 2012/13 with snowy spells. Since then, only Feb March 2018 has produced some snowy stuff. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Cant really see a cold winter tbh

Mild and damp seems more likely 

If there was a hint of something else I'd say.

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Never rule anything out  even though synopotics say different

Very true but even FI is mild close to warm. Lol

Posted
1 minute ago, sorepaw1 said:

Very true but even FI is mild close to warm. Lol

Aye, feels like it now, and GFS 12Z points to an early Spring, some of them days 13 degrees, not unreal for the large teapot, 90's were amazing for snow! heard 80's and earlier were even better

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I thjnk the part of the problem was, we were spoilt between 2008/09 until 2012/13 with snowy spells. Since then, only Feb March 2018 has produced some snowy stuff. 

You're in London though. A place where only a decent easterly delivers. Up here we can get decent snow from a polar maritime north-westerly and also from the east. But even a north-westerly looks unlikely at present! Northerlies are not so good for here though, there's too much land to the north of here and we just end up sunny and frosty. Only when there's a polar low with imbedded troughs is when a northerly delivers here but they are rare as hen's teeth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

You're in London though. A place where only a decent easterly delivers. Up here we can get decent snow from a polar maritime north-westerly and also from the east. But even a north-westerly looks unlikely at present! Northerlies are not so good for here though, there's too much land to the north of here and we just end up sunny and frosty. Only when there's a polar low with imbedded troughs is when a northerly delivers here but they are rare as hen's teeth.

It would be easier  somtimes  up here to knit a bridge than get snow the last serious  dump was 20 years ago 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, feels like it now, and GFS 12Z points to an early Spring, some of them days 13 degrees, not unreal for the large teapot, 90's were amazing for snow! heard 80's and earlier were even better

I know what you mean. 

Looking at the 12z a push further north and east on the high pressure is the best i can see tbh... and thats a massive long shot.

Posted
1 minute ago, sorepaw1 said:

I know what you mean. 

Looking at the 12z a push further north and east on the high pressure is the best i can see tbh... and thats a massive long shot.

UKMO like then, not too bad,

UW144-21.GIF?26-18

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

UKMO like then, not too bad,

UW144-21.GIF?26-18

Yeah thats not to bad i bit further north and east spot on.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

It would be easier  somtimes  up here to knit a bridge than get snow the last serious  dump was 20 years ago 

You need a battleground scenario - Something like 1996? Coastal Cumbria got buried. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
9 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Just knit snowflakes, less wool than a bridge.  Cheer up folks, accentuate the positives, lower heating bills, still have Swiss Chard in veg beds, lovely long cool walks with dogs, beautiful sunrises, birdsong.  Be suprised by frost.  Merry winterval?

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

You need a battleground scenario - Something like 1996? Coastal Cumbria got buried. https://youtu.be/V73h4TOMCBw

tha days!!!!! they were good

• Like 2

Posted

Boxing Day  time for a moan.

no cold yet, non on the horizon, even seen some talk about cold coming in FEB !!!

snow drops are breaking through already, and Ive had to switch of the heating its so bloody mild. Took the dogs for a walk did,nt  even need coats.

thinking of mowing the lawn this week and  I Iive  in rural Derbyshire  at close to 200mts

SSW warming ?? rubbish.

Even if it turns a bit colder with a bit of snow so what we would of had that without a SSW, especially here.

every year we have the same, expectations from models and note happens, so what if we have 3 or 5 days cold  weather in Jan or Feb.

this winters already busted.

i feel pity for those that live further South with no alevation, at least for me high ground of 300 to 350 mts is only a 10 min car drive, so at least I can catch HILL SNOW, thats

if we even have that.

GOD what a rant, this must be the worst winter here for 5 years or more,

apologies for letting of steam but this winters already over here.  (MY BIGGEST MOAN EVER)

not even had a drink YET !!!!!

Posted
28 minutes ago, marksp said:

Get a grip not even 33% of the way done with winter Rome wasn’t built in a day!  And spring can deliver but preferably wouldn’t want to see it that late.. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems a few in here got a crystal ball for Christmas. :oldrolleyes:

36 minutes ago, marksp said:

SSW warming ?? rubbish.

I hope you're not saying the SSW isn't happening, it's very much underway now but still no clear picture going forward. Definitely not clear enough to say what'll happen in a couple of weeks time let alone the rest of winter. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

It cracks me up here, sometimes... people writing things off!! Some of the best winter's, didn't start till boxing day or even January or even later!! So to be crying before it's even started ( I'm well aware, nothing may not happen at all?? ) is ridiculous... around the area i live, we've had more decent winters here since 2007... than the previous 25 plus years( nowt to do with GW/CC )... of course im disappointed when cold n snow dont appear, even fleetingly?? But even in recent weeks it's been COLDER than temp it states, mist n fog have appeared which seems an age, since we've had any... with things in place to give us a fighting chance of summat decent, chill peeps and let things unfold... we've got 3months to give us that chance, let's just wait and see 

Edited by law of averages
  • Like 1

Posted

2012-13 had jack all snow until mid-January, and ended up quite snowy. Late Dec and early Jan that winter were horribly mild and wet as I remember.

It's strange how this year has been the reverse of last year:

2017- very boring year except for awesome December

2018- excellent year but with rubbish December

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Whatever happens I hope we don't have any severe gales blowing through.  I've had my fill of Strong Winds and named storms already this year.  If it's a choice between that dross and what we have now - mild, but relatively calm and benign - I'll take this any day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we have some actual weather? Or even some sunshine?

• Like 1