Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

The UK has one of the crappy climates it is there four hardly surprising that we get weeks on end of atlantic crap during winter  A grim update from Ian penel.  as for the SSW it does not guarantee cold and snow for the UK   in my personal opinion I believe that the hunt for called thread in the model discussion has too many hope casting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine

The SSW only commenced over Siberia at the weekend. The effect of this will still be filtering through to the models especially given the 2 to 3 week time lag. Should we not give it a bit longer before calling time on winter?

21 hours ago, Optimus Prime said:

This winter certainly ranks up there with the worst, that is away from Scotland and northern Ireland. It's nowhere near as bad as 2015, but I can't think of many poorer start to winters as this one 

1/3 through, Will take something to rescue this one.

2013/14? That was mild and stormy all the Way through if I remember. And I could count the number of frosts on one hand. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
48 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

The SSW only commenced over Siberia at the weekend. The effect of this will still be filtering through to the models especially given the 2 to 3 week time lag. Should we not give it a bit longer before calling time on winter?

2013/14? That was mild and stormy all the Way through if I remember. And I could count the number of frosts on one hand. 

Looks like this Christmas will be milder than 2013 here. Both the 25th and 26th had maxima around 5-6C here with sunshine. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Looks like this Christmas will be milder than 2013 here. Both the 25th and 26th had maxima around 5-6C here with sunshine. 

Frost and fog last night made it feel more seasonal. Don't remember specific days of 2013/14 winter but as a whole I remember it being relentlessly wet and mild. This winter has been frustrating so far but with an SSW recently beginning I think we are in with a shout of seeing more wintry weather in January and February. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Frosty first thing but the milder air and cloud is moving in. Up from -3C to +2C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Is there a thread where we can moan about irritating TV weather presenters?  Darren Bett really got on my wick last night on the BBC, using the phrase "at least it's mild" or words to that effect when describing today's (Christmas Day's!) weather.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
46 minutes ago, SJ NM said:

Is there a thread where we can moan about irritating TV weather presenters?  Darren Bett really got on my wick last night on the BBC, using the phrase "at least it's mild" or words to that effect when describing today's (Christmas Day's!) weather.  

Yes it would only be irritating to us coldies, the likes of peeps who so called dislike the cold “at least it’s mild” would be music to their ears ?

Good idea, for a new thread (phrases that weather presenters never say) “ at least it’s cold” :blink2::oldwink:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
22 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Yes it would only be irritating to us coldies, the likes of peeps who so called dislike the cold “at least it’s mild” would be music to their ears ?

Good idea, for a new thread (phrases that weather presenters never say) “ at least it’s cold” :blink2::oldwink:

Horrid expression, why would anyone want it mild? it's always dark, wet or windy, or even all 3 at once, cold is nearly always sunny and brighter

bit of Xmas cheer from GFS 06Z

gfs-0-372.png?6

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, syed2878 said:

The UK has one of the crappy climates it is there four hardly surprising that we get weeks on end of atlantic crap during winter  A grim update from Ian penel.  as for the SSW it does not guarantee cold and snow for the UK   in my personal opinion I believe that the hunt for called thread in the model discussion has too many hope casting.

And a summer like 2018 or 2013 doesn’t happen every year, so even when we have a mild winter, it still doesn’t always mean a sunny warm summer. It may be above average, but cloudy humid summers are more common.

Posted
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

It’s colder in London this time, and at 7-8c, this is the coldest Christmas Day in London since 2014 or even 2010. 

Posted
1 hour ago, SJ NM said:

Those weather presenters need a punch. Anyone who says ‘at least it’s mild’ for Christmas Day needs a telling off.

Just like when Ian Mackasley, or whatever his name is, was praising how warm and sunny it was for Christmas Day 1987. Falmouth was over 14c and sunny, and it was even warmer in London that year. That wasn’t something to celebrate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s colder in London this time, and at 7-8c, this is the coldest Christmas Day in London since 2014 or even 2010. 

Incredible really isn't it. Last year came close to a white Christmas here as it snowed late on Boxing Day into the 27th but alas chrimbo itself was just wet and meh. 2014 was the last proper sunny one at least.

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Incredible really isn't it. Last year came close to a white Christmas here as it snowed late on Boxing Day into the 27th but alas chrimbo itself was just wet and meh. 2014 was the last proper sunny one at least.

Yes, but funnily enough I forgot about the mild day of Christmas 2017, because it was cold before and after. 

Posted

I never feel short changed, if we end up with snow at some point before or after Christmas. Today has turned out better than I expected and is a change for a plus 10c day. 

It does depend where you are though. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I rank my favourite Christmas weather from best to worst.

1. Cold and sunny

Yes, I actually prefer this to snow and cold. Don’t know why. Maybe because I’ve known many 90s and 2000s christmases as cold and sunny.

2. Cold and snowy or snow on ground.

3. Cold and cloudy. Still feels seasonal.

4. Mild and cloudy. Usually my least favourite, and if almost always rains with this type at some stage of the day.

5. Mild and sunny. The worst kind, because it feels like springtime, and thankfully doesn’t happen very often. 

When I mean mild and sunny, I mean 14-15 plus with clear blue skies. Christmas 1987(horrible)

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Christmas day in 2010 Llysdinam in Wales recorded a 'high' of -7.8C

That was the best one, because I remember cold and snow, and also cold sunny days.

2001 and 2004 were also nice sunny crisp cold ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Interestingly, and despite the early ramping by some, this December has been one of worst down here, in terms of lack of sunshine, huge amounts of rainfall, and very mild. I haven't recorded a single frost, average temp is at 9.2°C, 3.2°C above the Met Office' average for around here. Only 4 days haven't made it to double figures. 18 rain days (inc today)  totalling 188.8mm.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A nothing sort of winter so far. Very mild in the first week then generally mild since then apart from the freezing rain day no storm s to talk off. If you wanted to talk about this month well we had some freeing rain on the 15th. Met office got carried away over Snow this day despite neither the ECM or the GFS supporting a snow event.   We had a frost event xmas eve. Wow we are desperate. The frost stunned by being frozen lasted through the day to be killed by mr mild  overnight.day. Otherwise Ben all. ECM and GFS show nothing of interest at all. If it going to mild please be stormy. This year can't manage this unless you count a crisp packet mover across the lawn. I have a horrible feeling the rest of the winter is going to be a bore fest. You watch any splits will lead to a block in the wrong place if the vortex doesn't get split we end up with a mild high stuck over us just shuffling slightly to the left and then to the right not enough to make a good song out of .

Boring winter nothing to get your teeth into.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Horrid expression, why would anyone want it mild? it's always dark, wet or windy, or even all 3 at once, cold is nearly always sunny and brighter

bit of Xmas cheer from GFS 06Z

gfs-0-372.png?6

Have to agree,mild weather, especially here in the S.W nearly always means rain and wind, about as much use as t...ts on a bull, when it's cold and sunny at least you have useable weather.  Unfortunately, weather presenters etc  these days seem to always want to try and put a positive spin on things. At the end of the day you can't polish a t..rd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
19 hours ago, iapennell said:

@cheeky_monkey

What kind of points system do you have in Canada for those wishing to emigrate from the UK? I'm thinking of doing so, considering how naff the winter weather has become in my corner of the world: I live at over 400 metres' elevation in the North Pennines and even now we have not yet had our first real snowfall of the winter!!

not sure that emigrating to Canada is a good idea..there are more snowflakes over here than in the UK..also if you love cold and snow..you wont anymore after your first winter...

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not sure that emigrating to Canada is a good idea..there are more snowflakes over here than in the UK..also if you love cold and snow..you wont anymore after your first winter...

I kind of agree, as I tried and tested out the Toronto climate from August 1999 until March 2001.

During this period, I experienced a very hot summer(1999), mixed winter of 99/2000, cold snowy spells, but nothing really cold and snowy until after Christmas that year. Jan and Feb were snowy, but mild spells did occur.

Minus 15-20 for several days to a week felt very cold and a shock to the system, but once the temp climbed back to 0c to plus 2, I no longer needed my hat. My body acclimated to the environment. I did like the cold and dry sunny weather, that Toronto seems to have in the autumn and winter time, despite the cold. 

One thing you will hate though is the summer smog, sometimes it was so humid during the summers, once the temp reached 30c.

I digress. 1999 was a hot summer, winter 99/00 was cold, but mild by Canadian standards. Summer 2000 was pretty awful, as I just remember many days of cloudy and cool weather with spells of hot humid weather and violent thunderstorms. Winter 2000/01 was one of the coldest across Canada at the time. It snowed all through December and Christmas Day. By January 2001 I was quite bored with looking at snow. So, after two years of living in Canada, I think the seasons would become tedious after a while. 

Stjll, I think Toronto’s weather is way more exciting than the boring weather we experience in London. Not all the time, but wishing for a hot sunny summer or cold snowy winter is hard to come by and not a promise. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes I was amazed to see a frost early this morning, and its felt quite cold all day long here. So these weather forecasters with their mild bias "At least it will be mild", can go and do one!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, snowray said:

Yes I was amazed to see a frost early this morning, and its felt quite cold all day long here. So these weather forecasters with their mild bias "At least it will be mild", can go and do one!

I punched Tomas Schavfonacker(can’t spell it lol), who always seems to have a smug grin when delivering the bad news.

He’s nursing a sore head now.