Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

especially GFS parallel in FI, looks horrid, away from hilly areas oop norf

gfs-0-348.png?6gfs-0-372.png?6

It could be worse though, just need the Atlantic high to slip a bit further north and form a decent block.

Posted

This winter certainly ranks up there with the worst, that is away from Scotland and northern Ireland. It's nowhere near as bad as 2015, but I can't think of many poorer start to winters as this one 

1/3 through, Will take something to rescue this one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
3 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

This winter certainly ranks up there with the worst, that is away from Scotland and northern Ireland. It's nowhere near as bad as 2015, but I can't think of many poorer start to winters as this one 

1/3 through, Will take something to rescue this one.

Weather normally better reflects the astronomical seasons.  Since we are only 3 in we have plenty of time for cold weather.  Last year it snowed right up until the end of winter (spring equinox) here.  Meteorological seasons are pretty arbitrary. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Think people on here can book holidays to Austria, or some Eastern European country and spend next Christmas there. You’ll be guaranteed a cold snowy Christmas and new year holiday.

I will likely be doing just that next year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

There was wonderful thick fog last night around here, and now the weather is cool and calm- classic wintery weather.  Shame it won't last I suppose, and the charts further out beyond 10 days want to throw more Atlantic dross our way into January.  I hate winter in this country sometimes.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
33 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Think people on here can book holidays to Austria, or some Eastern European country and spend next Christmas there. You’ll be guaranteed a cold snowy Christmas and new year holiday.

will you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

As I am travelling tomorrow, and given the forecast for high pressure, I was minded to check the fog lights on the car, and it struck me, I cannot remember when we last had a very foggy period of weather in my neck of the woods, I'm sure it's longer ago than the snow of Jan 2013.  

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

As I am travelling tomorrow, and given the forecast for high pressure, I was minded to check the fog lights on the car, and it struck me, I cannot remember when we last had a very foggy period of weather in my neck of the woods, I'm sure it's longer ago than the snow of Jan 2013.  

last foggy Chrimbo in the UK i can remember was 1992

Posted
22 minutes ago, SJ NM said:

There was wonderful thick fog last night around here, and now the weather is cool and calm- classic wintery weather.  Shame it won't last I suppose, and the charts further out beyond 10 days want to throw more Atlantic dross our way into January.  I hate winter in this country sometimes.  

Its not just this country that has been suffering. Most of the countries that are normally on or just below the line that experience at least some cold and snow have really been suffering. Every year it seems whenever we get a spell (7-days) of decent cold and snow, we pay for it later on with mild magnitudes greater in intensity.

I suppose this does correlate with a warming climate. December not that long ago registered as s cooling month. Now we have no months that show either indifference or cooling.

An additional warming of 1.0C+ scares the living-sht out of me in terms of winter.

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Its not just this country that has been suffering. Most of the countries that are normally on or just below the line that experience at least some cold and snow have really been suffering. Every year it seems whenever we get a spell (7-days) of decent cold and snow, we pay for it later on with mild magnitudes greater in intensity.

I suppose this does correlate with a warming climate. December not that long ago registered as s cooling month. Now we have no months that show either indifference or cooling.

An additional warming of 1.0C+ scares the living-sht out of me in terms of winter.

30 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

will you?

Yes, most years snow falls across those regions at some point between Christmas and new year. 

While not guaranteed, there’s a better chance of cold snowy weather compared to southern England and London. 

Saying that, eventually snow and cold will happen in the uk around Christmas time, it’s just a case of when.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well what a shocking winter we are having, yes it’s only Christmas but we have barely had a frost for weeks and no sign of proper cold and snow, even a northerly toppler would be better than this mild crap. Hope we get a good set up from this ssw during January and have not been up the long garden path again?? Only time will tell.

good job it’s Christmas so good reason to stop looking at the crap charts the models keep producing even though I’ll probably still look tomorrow lol.

anyway enough moaning from me have a great Christmas everyone.

Posted

Early Dec

Mid Dec

Late Dec

Early Jan

Mid Jan

Late Jan

Early Feb

Mid Feb

Late Feb

Early March

Plenty of time yet for winter to start !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Early Dec

Mid Dec

Late Dec

Early Jan

Mid Jan

Late Jan

Early Feb

Mid Feb

Late Feb

Early March

Plenty of time yet for winter to start !

mid march

late march

early April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Early may

Late may

Early june

Late June 

Aug will be blizzards

september sleet lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My moan for tonight is that following a beautiful sunny ice day here today (currently -3C so unlikely to go above freezing by midnight) we are likely to join the rest of the country in milder cloudy damp weather by the end of tomorrow.

Still merry Christmas everyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A reasonably cold feeling Christmas Eve night, but wait... the temperatures rising. :wallbash:

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

My moan for tonight is that following a beautiful sunny ice day here today (currently -3C so unlikely to go above freezing by midnight) we are likely to join the rest of the country in milder cloudy damp weather by the end of tomorrow.

Still merry Christmas everyone

every day is an ice day here..hoping to get above freezing by July 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
13 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

every day is an ice day here..hoping to get above freezing by July 

@cheeky_monkey

What kind of points system do you have in Canada for those wishing to emigrate from the UK? I'm thinking of doing so, considering how naff the winter weather has become in my corner of the world: I live at over 400 metres' elevation in the North Pennines and even now we have not yet had our first real snowfall of the winter!!