Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
29 minutes ago, Barmada Casten said:

Any talks of SSW is simply ramping to keep coldies enthused.

I bet you thought the same in February before we had the beast from the east and the mini beast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
11 hours ago, Freeze said:

Should have named it the argument thread, because that’s what it’ll eventually turn into lol

Would be nice if it stayed friendly for a change. Let's hope if there's any arguing it's about which was the best snow event by the end of winter. ⛄

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Probably depended on where you were in the UK. There were no mild Winters up here at all between 1977 and 1988. The early seventies did have several above average Winters but all had cold spells with some snow.

Edit. Admittedly there were few white Christmasses but many white New Years.

Mild winters still occurred in the southeast during that period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.
1 hour ago, coldie said:

I bet you thought the same in February before we had the beast from the east and the mini beast.

Neither of which brought any significant snowfall to my locations in Lakeland and (briefly) North Devon!

Posted
25 minutes ago, Barmada Casten said:

Neither of which brought any significant snowfall to my locations in Lakeland and (briefly) North Devon!

8 foot drifts here in the south Wales valleys, though I was smack bang in the middle of the red warning! Btw I've had 2 red warnings for snow in the last 5 years and guess what? They both happened not long after a SSW! January 2013 and march this year.

Edited by coldie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Mild winters still occurred in the southeast during that period.

Yes I know. I lived in London through three winters in that period, only one of which had lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

79/80 and 80/81 was snowless in London.

Yes. I was there from 1979 (post winter) until 1982 so did get Dec 81/Jan 1982 snow which was a decent spell of wintry weather.

Posted
12 hours ago, Norrance said:

Yes. I was there from 1979 (post winter) until 1982 so did get Dec 81/Jan 1982 snow which was a decent spell of wintry weather.

Yeah. Late 79 and parts of Feb 80 were just as mild as what we are experiencing now.

Posted
12 hours ago, Norrance said:

What made you leave in summer 82? 

Did you get tired of London by that stage?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

What made you leave in summer 82? 

Did you get tired of London by that stage?

A mix of things. A job opportunity, recent split from my girlfriend, missing the countryside. Funnily enough just about changed my mind before I left.

Anyway back on topic. My moan. This kind of high pressure setting up is just a waste of winter. Even one week of the slug is one week too many. Bring on the SSW! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
17 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Anyway back on topic. My moan. This kind of high pressure setting up is just a waste of winter. Even one week of the slug is one week too many. Bring on the SSW! 

At least it might allow things to dry out a bit. Don’t want it to hang around too long though as it would be incredibly boring if it did. Fortunately at the moment looks like it won’t. 

Posted

To be fair the beast from the east did not deliver much for me even living in Essex, got a few cms and some drifting but not as much as I expected. This is due to the lack of any real snow events as most came in the form of snow showers which if come in from angle other than the east or south east miss most places. Hopefully the next beast will be a real easterly not a north easterly.

• Like 1

Posted

Ramp alert. My wife has just told me a cold snap is on the way as the birds are eating frenziedly at the  feeder station. This must be going to happen as she has never been wrong about anything before.

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

A mix of things. A job opportunity, recent split from my girlfriend, missing the countryside. Funnily enough just about changed my mind before I left.

More chance of Sayid Javid becoming next prime minister. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

More chance of Sayid Javid becoming next prime minister. 

to be honest I would say he has a reasonable chance of becoming uk's next PM ...

meanwhile the weather models viewing continues to be contrary , I wonder when the real eye candy ops will appear..?

Posted
52 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

to be honest I would say he has a reasonable chance of becoming uk's next PM ...

meanwhile the weather models viewing continues to be contrary , I wonder when the real eye candy ops will appear..?

My prediction is Boris will get the job. 

Posted

Ok folks. Let’s bring this back to winter moans and ramps please.

Thanks.

Posted

I find winter in london really boring, when we don’t have the snow. Mild and damp is by far my least favourite weather. 

I don’t know why so many people prefer it over cold, or cold and snow. Mild weather usually accompanied by cloudy dull days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I find winter in london really boring, when we don’t have the snow. Mild and damp is by far my least favourite weather. 

I don’t know why so many people prefer it over cold, or cold and snow. Mild weather usually accompanied by cloudy dull days. 

mild weather here is nearly always wet or windy, it's always the darker it is, the warmer it is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been one of worst December's ever for cold, hardly even a frost, and not even any sleet, will remain the same, can guarantee no snow here for rest of Dec

0ct holiday week was colder, 5 out of 7 frosty mornings, but Atlantic quieter in 0ct

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
14 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

been one of worst December's ever for cold, hardly even a frost, and not even any sleet, will remain the same, can guarantee no snow here for rest of Dec

0ct holiday week was colder, 5 out of 7 frosty mornings, but Atlantic quieter in 0ct

January will be colder with a vengeance.