Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
mushymanrob

snowflakes

One thing i dont miss from my childhood  was Power Cuts.  every bloody night it seemed  also only 1 hour of kids programmes after school     and the snow  my god the snow.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

yes i dont really disagree much with that, id suggest we had it harder in some ways, you have it harder in others... however, i dont see any movement trying to adress your plight. we demonstrated and changed things ourselves, this could be seen in music as well as comedy... younger people today just seem to accept it 

I admit one of my frustrations is the lack of voting done by younger people, however I believe Tony Blair wasn't much different from the Tory Centre, hence many people didn't really get into politics until the Brexit referendum. It has had a massive effect.

the crash of '08 wasnt caused by boomers, it was caused by the deregulation of banks and that was thatcher and reagan who removed those restrictions that were put in place after the wall street crash.

Baby boomers did vote for these governments (I understand you didn't) that caused the crash. I do think American baby boomers are worse and yup it was the deregulation of wall street that was a big contributor. They were put into place for a reason but yup.. they were took down hurting us all, yet UK boomers allign themselves closely with the attitudes of US baby boomers when it comes to millenials.

It was your generation who elected them and they were people from your generation in charge of the banks. 

well i didnt vote for her! lol

Good! lol

little regard for the environment?.. nonsense! boomers were very active in environmental groups, and we had a love and knowledge of wildlife... today most milennials cannot identify basic species of birds, butterflies, trees, etc but admittedly they can tell us all about climate change.

While I admit my knowledge of things like birds, butterflies etc wont be as strong as yours, we care deeply about the environment. Almost all of my friends talk about cutting down plastic consumption etc. Maybe its just my social circle but environmental policies have a big sway on how we think and vote. I do admit things like biology are taught less in today's schools. People are taught how to pass an exam rather then become passionate about the topics they study. I for example failed 2 A-Levels and didn't get the chance to study the weather until I was an undergraduate. What does that say about our education system? We couldn't do much about that when we were at school!

Nonsense, how many millenials do you actually speak to? Do you think we are stupid?
no i dont think you are stupid, but i dont think your generation knows diddly squat about basic nature... can you identify bryony? and why it should be avoided?.. the difference between king cups and marsh marigolds? could you even identify basic wildflowers/birds/eggs/trees/butterflies/moths etc withouit the help of a device? whats more...do you even care?.. i see no grass roots movements addressing the issues of declining wildlife. i have 3 milennial kids and my o/h is a milennial.

As I say maybe its differences in the people around us but I don't believe that to be the case. More people watched blue planet 2 then the x-factor for example and planet earth 2 was also hugely popular so I think a lot do care! I know a lot of people who struggle with depression because of the pressure they feel under, perhaps millennials find it harder to motivate themselves?

it was OUR generation that kicked out racism, sexism, homophobia.. WE rejected that, through the punk movement, it was US that changed those attitudes.

Yes there was a lot of good progress but people seem to have moved more to the right as they have got older, not all but that does seem to be a pattern in people through different generations.

oh come on! dont try to rewrite my life history! it was the punk movement and our generation that rejected racism, homophobia and sexism.. there was a huge generational shift away from acts like freddie star, jim davidson, and towards self depricating satire. we had rock against racism, and alternative comedy. my generation actually did something positive.

Above comment applies to this too

nonsense, you rely too much on technology, a lot of you cant even read a map! you cannot measure experience, i know this will sound condescending, but one day youll 'get' that the same way i did [/i]

We do know how to use maps! lol. I'm pretty sure the generations above you criticised your technology as well! We do worry about technology too, for example the breaches of privacy from Facebook etc. A lot of people I know don't pay much attention to what's on facebook anymore. People just use messenger or look for local events.

it makes no difference to how you get your music... theres either a 'scene' going on, or there isnt. if we had todays technology, the charts would still be more or less the same, because everytime a new trend came out we were hungry to hear new music. what you dont seem to 'get' (sorry if im wrong), is that from the 50's through to the mid 00's there was a succession of huge trends, movements, generation defining sounds and associated fashions.. and there was choice..  true, maybe all the sounds that guitar (or even synth) based bands can make might have been done.. does that excuse the slump into accepting manufactured crap?.. theres always been 'good' material outside the charts, but theres been some extremely good material in the charts, songs about politics, nuclear war, social issues...songs with something profound to relate. all that in mainstream.. now?......lol.

Do you remember American Idiot by Green Day? OK pretty mainstream but it was a strongly politcal song and it got to Number 2 in the UK singles charts and as a result got a lot of play on the radio. With today's single sales, it wouldn't have even reached the top 40, so if it wasn't played on the radio, who would have heard it? I get what you are saying though as most of my favourite music is from the early 90s to late 00s (hell even Dark Side of the Moon was 1974). The past has seen numerous pioneering bands such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Joy Division, U2, Nirvana, Radiohead and we are in a lull, but how many new sounds can you create? There are still punk bands as vocal as sex pistols but they are underground at the moment. Maybe there will be a renaissance in the future but these bands still get heavy airplay so there isn't much appeal to repeating those sounds again at the moment. Hopefully another big band will emerge to the surface soon.

lol... the inbetweeners was written by 'generation x' people, not milennials... just what cutting edge comedy has any milennial written?.. something of the calibre of dads army? blackadder? father ted? steptoe and sone? fawlty towers? you know, timeless classics that are accepted as classics by all..

But it was popularised by millenials lol! and yes I do love Blackadder, Father Ted (watch the IT crowd if you like this) , The Simpsons (in the 90s) and Only Fools and Horses but like with music these were pioneering TV shows covering new areas and styles of comedy. How many more areas can you branch out to. I think the last decade has been a golden age for drama (The Wire, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones for example) and with so many dramas being watched, comedies are getting less attention at the moment. FWIW even Stranger Things is very heavily influenced by the 80s. 

Overall I think there are things that we all have in common so why do we have to rant about different generations all the time? The very people you criticise may have a lot more in common with you then you think. My initial post was on the strong side but that was to see what reaction would emerge if a 1 sided post against baby boomers were also made as this thread had just become a tirade against snowflakes. Every generation has its vices (for example, my generation do spend too much time on their phones) but each generation becomes more liberal and instigates further social progress. Arguing will only make it worse and for the many steps forward made over recent decades, I fear we could be making many steps back with the way things are right now.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I admit one of my frustrations is the lack of voting done by younger people, however I believe Tony Blair wasn't much different from the Tory Centre, hence many people didn't really get into politics until the Brexit referendum. It has had a massive effect.

exactly...this whole 'you stole our future tag ' is not only wrong, but the blame lies squarely at the feet of non voting milennials.

i now hate b-liar more then i hate thatcher, he let us down, he lied, he still lies.

While I admit my knowledge of things like birds, butterflies etc wont be as strong as yours, we care deeply about the environment. Almost all of my friends talk about cutting down plastic consumption etc. Maybe its just my social circle but environmental policies have a big sway on how we think and vote. I do admit things like biology are taught less in today's schools. People are taught how to pass an exam rather then become passionate about the topics they study. I for example failed 2 A-Levels and didn't get the chance to study the weather until I was an undergraduate. What does that say about our education system? We couldn't do much about that when we were at school!

see... we had nature study, as 'outdoor' kids we needed educating as to what plants were poinsonous. but playing outside, in the fields, gave a lot of us a wonderful sense of awe... i love our countryside, i loved, as a lad, discovering all aspects of wildlife and i wasnt alone. by a long way. ive been in greenpeace, wildlife trusts, woodland trust, friends of the earth, and have actively campaigned against pollution... i could be seen back in the early 90's dressed as an aerosol can in derby, highlightig the cfc's that were damaging the ozone layer. in fact i got into conservation after seeing david bellamy (ask yer mum, lol) make a plea on his tv show (botany) for people who are interested to join wildlife groups.

as a generation, we have made some progress, but fighting against big business is very difficult and time consuming. we have got rid of a lot of nasties.. ddt, dextrone, cfc's... etc.. but whilst we were tackling one 'nasty' we overlooked others inclusing plastic. :(

As I say maybe its differences in the people around us but I don't believe that to be the case. More people watched blue planet 2 then the x-factor for example and planet earth 2 was also hugely popular so I think a lot do care! I know a lot of people who struggle with depression because of the pressure they feel under, perhaps millennials find it harder to motivate themselves?

yes but blue planet 2 appealled to a much wider audience. the x factor is aimed at the entitled snowflakes and this is confirmed with every act vowing "i dont know what ill do if i dont win this, i was born to it" screaming, baying, mainly talentless zombies all conforming to the expected norm (singing like mariah). cowell is part of the problem, as someone who doesnt rate bowie or bush his musical knowledge must be questionable. you dont have to like bowie...i dont really, but i can appreciate the enourmous involvement in forewarding british pop music.

Yes there was a lot of good progress but people seem to have moved more to the right as they have got older, not all but that does seem to be a pattern in people through different generations.

thats always been the case, and itll happen to you too! lol. tbh i dont think ive moved, im left of centre, but the left has gone so far over now its leaving people like me, who were progressives , behind. the stupid things now snowflakes get offended by, like people wearing mexican hats in a mexican themed resraunt, is ridiculous. its that mind set that has made great comedies like father ted a program that couldnt be made today...

Do you remember American Idiot by Green Day? OK pretty mainstream but it was a strongly politcal song and it got to Number 2 in the UK singles charts and as a result got a lot of play on the radio. With today's single sales, it wouldn't have even reached the top 40, so if it wasn't played on the radio, who would have heard it? I get what you are saying though as most of my favourite music is from the early 90s to late 00s (hell even Dark Side of the Moon was 1974). The past has seen numerous pioneering bands such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Joy Division, U2, Nirvana, Radiohead and we are in a lull, but how many new sounds can you create? There are still punk bands as vocal as sex pistols but they are underground at the moment. Maybe there will be a renaissance in the future but these bands still get heavy airplay so there isn't much appeal to repeating those sounds again at the moment. Hopefully another big band will emerge to the surface soon.

great track, and one that proves that using 'old' styles can be rehashed into something really great. there was a lot of examples of that in the early 00's... white stripes, queens of the stoneage, rasmus, him, and many more.. not original but created great music.

But it was popularised by millenials lol! and yes I do love Blackadder, Father Ted (watch the IT crowd if you like this) , The Simpsons (in the 90s) and Only Fools and Horses but like with music these were pioneering TV shows covering new areas and styles of comedy. How many more areas can you branch out to. I think the last decade has been a golden age for drama (The Wire, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones for example) and with so many dramas being watched, comedies are getting less attention at the moment. FWIW even Stranger Things is very heavily influenced by the 80s. 

Overall I think there are things that we all have in common so why do we have to rant about different generations all the time? The very people you criticise may have a lot more in common with you then you think. My initial post was on the strong side but that was to see what reaction would emerge if a 1 sided post against baby boomers were also made as this thread had just become a tirade against snowflakes. Every generation has its vices (for example, my generation do spend too much time on their phones) but each generation becomes more liberal and instigates further social progress. Arguing will only make it worse and for the many steps forward made over recent decades, I fear we could be making many steps back with the way things are right now.

............ didnt like the it crowd, nor ofah after series 2.  theres plenty of material! theres loads of satirical/self depricating humour to be found... 'snowflakes' for eg...lol.. brexit.. theres as much to be lampooned now as there ever was.. theres just no desire amongst the young to do it, scared of 'offending'.. its all very bland now after a series of generations creating cutting edge comedy aimed at their age group.

totally agree about drama though... never been better, game of thrones, power, numerous 'cop' dramas like happy valley.

your charges against us boomers are well founded, and as ive admitted throughout this thread...we are responsible for allowing milennials to become snowflakes. bad parenting.. asking the kids what they want for dinner instead of telling them what they are getting, after all, its the parents responsibility to provide a balanced and nutricious diet. non competitive sports days, another loony left idea that falsely makes kids think they are of equal worth by coming last in a race... so in the real world they discover they arent as special as 'winners' they dont know how to handle losing.

think they should all be taught cricket ..... its not the result that matters but how you conduct yourself.

cheers for the chat anyway :)

3 hours ago, weirpig said:

One thing i dont miss from my childhood  was Power Cuts.  every bloody night it seemed  also only 1 hour of kids programmes after school     and the snow  my god the snow.  

snow?... the power cuts were 72-75 , one of the least snowy times.... :P

I think my 'Utopian' belief that the world ought to get better, as time passes, might well be related to my long-held fascination with science fiction: from Isaac Asimov to Carl Sagan to Star Trek, the message is the same: our planet, many centuries from now, will be a place where petty squabbles, insularity and tribalism become a thing of the past...Unfortunately, humanity currently seems hell-bent on going backwards - instead of us uniting, certain forces are only too eager to drive us apart.

To boldly go (to go boldly?) back to the Stone Age gets more popular by the day...Sad, innit!

17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

To boldly go (to go boldly?) back to the Stone Age gets more popular by the day...Sad, innit!

Back to the stone age? Who is that popular with lol?

2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

snow?... the power cuts were 72-75 , one of the least snowy times.... 😛

Remember them well, especially sat down doing your homework by candlelight, in  front of an open coal fire, no central heating in our Council House back then.  Top and tail in a single bed with my brother, and ice on the inside of the windows .Ah  those were the days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I think my 'Utopian' belief that the world ought to get better, as time passes, might well be related to my long-held fascination with science fiction: from Isaac Asimov to Carl Sagan to Star Trek, the message is the same: our planet, many centuries from now, will be a place where petty squabbles, insularity and tribalism become a thing of the past...Unfortunately, humanity currently seems hell-bent on going backwards - instead of us uniting, certain forces are only too eager to drive us apart.

you dont have to unite into one homogeneous mass to 'get on in unity' . but thatll never happen whilst people are greedy for more and more money. capitalism only works to a point. some people are obscenely rich, i mean, just how much money does any one person need?

• Like 1

@Quicksilver1989 as it happens at last nights pop music quiz, us music nerds were discussing the effect modern technology has had on the music scene. regarding your point about 'american idiot' and sales.. the general consensus is that if 'we' had access to todays technology back in the late 70's early 80's, the charts would be even richer... thats because singles were relatively expensive, we either had to 'save up' or could only afford 1 record a week. many didnt bother buying singles but bought albums instead as they usually contained the tracks released as singles plus a lot of other tracks making them better value. back then singles were the 'shop window' for an act to advertise their 'better' material on the album.

if music was then as it is now, far more 'trendy' material would make the charts, its the youth of the day that bought into the trends they created, but thoughout pop music history older people (squares...lol) also bought pop music, and they had more disposable income. they bought the more 'boring' untrendy ballad style stuff, and explains why in 1967 despite all the great pop music there was around, it was englebert humperdinks 'release me' was the biggest selling single. that can be mirrored throughout the mid 60's, with him, ken dod, tom jones, malcome roberts, matt monroe, harry secombe, and many more pretty much dominating the 'swinging 60's ' ..... 'mums music'..

todays technology back then would then eliminate the choices we had to make... do i buy the sex pistols or the clash? buzzcocks or the skids? squeeze or xtc? so the ease and cheapness of todays route to music would have boosted the trends even more.

what remained unresolved though was whether todays paucity of trends, original material, generation defining fashions, is down to snowflakes having little or no burning desire to create something good, or is it because technology has provided them with access to all the material thats preceeded them (so lazily have no need to create new material themselves).

4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

@Quicksilver1989 as it happens at last nights pop music quiz, us music nerds were discussing the effect modern technology has had on the music scene. regarding your point about 'american idiot' and sales.. the general consensus is that if 'we' had access to todays technology back in the late 70's early 80's, the charts would be even richer... thats because singles were relatively expensive, we either had to 'save up' or could only afford 1 record a week. many didnt bother buying singles but bought albums instead as they usually contained the tracks released as singles plus a lot of other tracks making them better value. back then singles were the 'shop window' for an act to advertise their 'better' material on the album.

if music was then as it is now, far more 'trendy' material would make the charts, its the youth of the day that bought into the trends they created, but thoughout pop music history older people (squares...lol) also bought pop music, and they had more disposable income. they bought the more 'boring' untrendy ballad style stuff, and explains why in 1967 despite all the great pop music there was around, it was englebert humperdinks 'release me' was the biggest selling single. that can be mirrored throughout the mid 60's, with him, ken dod, tom jones, malcome roberts, matt monroe, harry secombe, and many more pretty much dominating the 'swinging 60's ' ..... 'mums music'..

todays technology back then would then eliminate the choices we had to make... do i buy the sex pistols or the clash? buzzcocks or the skids? squeeze or xtc? so the ease and cheapness of todays route to music would have boosted the trends even more.

what remained unresolved though was whether todays paucity of trends, original material, generation defining fashions, is down to snowflakes having little or no burning desire to create something good, or is it because technology has provided them with access to all the material thats preceeded them (so lazily have no need to create new material themselves).

reason music is more samey is big business...some clever execs discovered or looked at the trends of the previous 30 years and found that if they manipulated youth 'culture' to their advantage it could earn big bucks..for me the pioneers of this were stock aitken and waterman in the mid to late 80s which was then followed by the explosion of manufactured boy bands of the 90s which has evolved into what we have today..which is mostly manufactured music performed by manufactured performers..this is making music more homogeneous across the globe...the music played in North America is very similar to that in the UK..20-30 years ago it would have been vastly different.

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

reason music is more samey is big business...some clever execs discovered or looked at the trends of the previous 30 years and found that if they manipulated youth 'culture' to their advantage it could earn big bucks..for me the pioneers of this were stock aitken and waterman in the mid to late 80s which was then followed by the explosion of manufactured boy bands of the 90s which has evolved into what we have today..which is mostly manufactured music performed by manufactured performers..this is making music more homogeneous across the globe...the music played in North America is very similar to that in the UK..20-30 years ago it would have been vastly different.

absolutely..... ive covered them already, lol.. somewhere previously.

Posted (edited)

Britain has been a musical powerhouse since the early 60's. The concept of youth focussed music began in America, in around 1956, but by 1960 most of the early Rock an Roll  stars were gone. Buddy Holly , and Eddie Cochran were dead, Chuck Berry was in Prison, Jerry Lee Lewis disgraced for marrying a 14 year

old .   They were replaced by clean cut stars like Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon etc.  Once the Beatles , Stones,  D.C.5 , Who,   etc conquered   the states  however ,we never looked back.  The Yardbirds for example produced guitar giants such as Jimmy Paige, and Eric Clapton.  Good bands have come out of the States, but few have come close to the universal impact made by the aforementioned British acts, ( Hendrix being a notable exception)

With one or two exceptions , Australia hasn't produced a great deal , and Europe with the exception of Abba  virtually nothing. 

Since the mid 90's and Brit Pop, there has been precious little to inspire ,   Programmes like X Factor, The Voice etc  are a complete joke , the sight of grown young men blubbing their eyes out because they have been voted off being particularly laughable.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Britain has been a musical powerhouse since the early 60's. The concept of youth focussed music began in America, in around 1956, but by 1960 most of the early Rock an Roll  stars were gone. Buddy Holly , and Eddie Cochran were dead, Chuck Berry was in Prison, Jerry Lee Lewis disgraced for marrying a 14 year

old .   They were replaced by clean cut stars like Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon etc.  Once the Beatles , Stones,  D.C.5 , Who,   etc conquered   the states  however ,we never looked back.  The Yardbirds for example produced guitar giants such as Jimmy Paige, and Eric Clapton.  Good bands have come out of the States, but few have come close to the universal impact made by the aforementioned British acts, ( Hendrix being a notable exception)

There are plenty of bands who had an impact from the USA, even in more recent times such as The Strokes and Nirvana.

With one or two exceptions , Australia hasn't produced a great deal , and Europe with the exception of Abba  virtually nothing

Rubbish, loads of good music has come out of Europe, daft punk for example have to be one of my favourite bands.

Since the mid 90's and Brit Pop, there has been precious little to inspire ,   Programmes like X Factor, The Voice etc  are a complete joke , the sight of grown young men blubbing their eyes out because they have been voted off being particularly laughable.

There have been loads of good albums from bands such as the flaming lips, arcade fire, arctic monkeys, bloc party, sigur ros, franz ferdinand, the strokes, the white stripes, Tame Impala, Queens of the stone age, The War on Drugs, the xx, LCD Soundsystem, even the 1975 show flashes of quality. I really cannot stand x factor etc though. I'll never forget when Rage Against the Machine got to number 1 that was fantastic! 

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 78/79 said:

With one or two exceptions , Australia hasn't produced a great deal , and Europe with the exception of Abba  virtually nothing. 

........... and jeff beck (yardbirds).. (my fav group btw)

europe though did embrace modern technology, whilst not a hotbed of guitar based acts they embraced the techno scene lead by kraftwerk. when euro techno met american house the british rave scene was created and that lead directly to dance music in the 90's. again, british involvement in establishing this was crucial with acts like the klf pioneering the shift from rock into dance. whether you like dance or not, the 90's saw a tremendous evolution with a lot of new styles being explored.

but like guitar based music, it lost its edge as we entered the new milennia, and by the mid 00's its all become very generic and is now labelled 'edm'.

i do disagree that 'since the mid 90's' precious little has done to inspire.... id shift that back a decade to the mid 00's. as quicksilver1989 highlights there were some great guitar based acts producing some quality material in the first half of the last decade. but id be hard pushed to find much of any quality in the last 12 odd years...i dont rate the very safe corporate 1975 at all. even the artcic monkeys have mellowed out, but that does follow a well trodden path with guitar based bands mellowing out once established.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

There are plenty of bands who had an impact from the USA, even in more recent times such as The Strokes and Nirvana.

Rubbish, loads of good music has come out of Europe, daft punk for example have to be one of my favourite bands.

There have been loads of good albums from bands such as the flaming lips, arcade fire, arctic monkeys, bloc party, sigur ros, franz ferdinand, the strokes, the white stripes, Tame Impala, Queens of the stone age, The War on Drugs, the xx, LCD Soundsystem, even the 1975 show flashes of quality. I really cannot stand x factor etc though. I'll never forget when Rage Against the Machine got to number 1 that was fantastic! 

america though didnt adopt the various styles and youth trends we brits created. 60s to the mid 00's (as already highlighted) we brits created a succession of highly varied musical styles and associated fashions. america didnt go down that route and produced a lot of 'safe' MOR AOR rock acts. they didnt do glam, punk, mod, new romantic, etc etc etc the way we did. i would argue that 'grunge' was the only 'rock' style in this period they created - but not ignoring rap, hip hop, r n b, that emerged since the 80's , and disco, funk and house before. so america might not have exploited guitar based styles as much, but they did give us other styles.

yep... especially in more recent times, HIM and nightwish being 2 examples of rock based quality.

hmmm.... good albums?... but not great.. theres no 'pet sounds', 'revolver', 'dark side of the moon' , 'never mind the dog biscuits'..... etc etc etc.

• Like 1

btw..... if anyones interested, its worth looking up tv 'rock docs' , 'punk britannia', 'synth britannia', 'the story of dance', 'the filth and the fury', and many others if you can find them. these programs are filled with testimonies and facts from the people who were there, who created these musical styles. you can see the inspiration that drove them , like the steam hammers working through the night, bashing metal , that inspired the creation of 'heavy metal' rock music from black sabbath (ossy n co).

the question is, do todays youth have that drive and inspiration to take music in another direction?.... clearly i dont think they do.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the Kinks ,one of the best bands to come out of the UK by a country mile, Ray Daves is a fantastic songwriter . The Small Faces were another very influential British band ,  Steve Marriott  being a major influence  on Paul Weller , as indeed was Davies.

10 hours ago, 78/79 said:

I forgot to mention the Kinks ,one of the best bands to come out of the UK by a country mile, Ray Daves is a fantastic songwriter . The Small Faces were another very influential British band ,  Steve Marriott  being a major influence  on Paul Weller , as indeed was Davies.

indeed.... 60's bands all had their own distinct style, each sounding different you couldnt mistake them - beatles/stones/kinks/who/yardbirds/spencer davis/hollies/animals/small faces/dc5/troggs/dave dee/tremoloes/pretty things/cream

imho with every '60's style revival' groups have become less distinctive, punk and new wave which borrowed heavily on 60's sounds started to become blurred

britpop even more so with many minor acts just fitting the stereotype

by the mid 00's with what has now become 'indie' (not true indie obviously, indie now being the term used to describe guitar based acts) they all wear the uniform, they all sport 'the' haircut, and they mostly all sound the same. theres little distinction between them.

• Like 1

I also think the 'snowfleism' isn't as bad as it seems. The media have a lot to answer for. You see headlines such as 'Schools in England to ban gender specific terms' but when you read the article it actually just transpires that one school has decided to be more gender neutral, not every school in England and neither banning gender specific terms. That was a made up example, but you get the idea.

It gives the impression that a lot more people are seriously sensitive than they really are, especially when people parrot off headlines, rather than looking a little deeper.

Really this js true of a lot of things, but it's been particularly noticeable of late around snowflakes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Well this thread does seem to be extremely popular among those unable to distinguish verifiable fact from purely subjective opinion...?

Edited by Ed Stone

1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Well this thread does seem to be extremely popular among those unable to distinguish verifiable fact from purely subjective opinion...?

It's the generalisms that people seem to want to paint across every single person of a certain age which amazes me. All 'old' people are this, all 'young' people are that, blah blah blah. Since when has any sort of one size fits all rule applied to any generation?

1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Just as well really Pete ,since the politics thread was done away with it's been as dead as a door nail . I know we all had our differences  of opinion about things, but most of us ( yourself included)  tried to keep it reasonably civil.    It was only a few idiots and wind-up merchants  that caused any animosity.

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2019 at 17:55, Ed Stone said:

Well actually, it would appear that the Stone Age is when we were all united ......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-47554926

32 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's the generalisms that people seem to want to paint across every single person of a certain age which amazes me. All 'old' people are this, all 'young' people are that, blah blah blah. Since when has any sort of one size fits all rule applied to any generation?

Generalisations like the one that insists that modern-day maths questions are easier than the ones to which older generations were subjected...

My kids' (and grandkids') quadratic equations were (are) identical to the ones I couldn't solve, back in 1970. However, just because I can now solve them in seconds, in no way proves that they have, as if by magic, suddenly become simpler - rather that looking back with years of hindsight is a darned sight easier than struggling to understand the buggers, in the first place, was?

I'm sure that the same reasoning could be applied equally to many other achievements for which 'Snowflakes' are belittled...?

I still can't bloody solve them!!