Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I hope the GFS (P) rolls out a bit quicker when it takes over!!! We will have downwelled by the time this run has finished :whistling:

Posted

What a chart..

BFBD335E-8249-4B3C-9D78-FC609ACCB001.png

P10 is a crazy chart, but again some decent ENS in FI

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I hope the GFS (P) rolls out a bit quicker when it takes over!!! We will have downwelled by the time this run has finished 

It will be a bit slower, overall, largely because it maintains high resolution out to day 16.  Does seem positively glacial this evening I admit!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

It will be a bit slower, overall, largely because it maintains high resolution out to day 16.  Does seem positively glacial this evening I admit!

More often than not, the speed at which the charts load on the web are more about the downloading of the data from ncep, which can sometimes be up and down speedwise. Generally, the data itself turns up at the same times though. 

I'd expect the FV3 to be earlier once it's off of the parallel system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

Im sure I read on here 1 to 2 days is a toppler? Correct me if I'm wrong 

A toppler is when high pressure ridges north of the uk to allow a northerly airflow, but is then 'toppled' by Atlantic systems from the northwest, sinking it south and cutting off the cold air. That could be on day 1, 5 or more really, so the phrase isn't really related to a timescale. 

Bit of an ancient thread this, but it's all about topplers

• Thanks 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I guess there's no time limit so this chart looks promising

viewimage.pbx.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
13 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

What a chart..

BFBD335E-8249-4B3C-9D78-FC609ACCB001.png

P10 is a crazy chart, but again some decent ENS in FI

Thats a 17th Dec 2010 redux, the only time in winter proper i can ever recall a chart with the oranges so high in latitude, and that includes looking through a lot of re-analysis, not just the last 10 years.

• Like 9

Posted
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Here we go perhaps.....

image.thumb.png.016d19d158ad8f5b52588b129d3e4b14.png

i wouldn't be looking for specifics for the uk yet karlos - just viewing the NH evolutions will show that something could well be afoot in the modelling ……. if so, will take more time to settle down

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

i wouldn't be looking for specifics for the uk yet karlos - just viewing the NH evolutions will show that something could well be afoot in the modelling ……. if so, will take more time to settle down

No not looking for anything specific, but that's a drop off in the low res we've not seen for a while, so one to watch perhaps. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Small steps, but I feel this could be the start of the models picking up on a change, I.e perturbation 10 mentioned above throwing out a stonker!  

Get Christmas and new year out of the way first, enjoy the turkey and Buck’s Fizz, and then I’ll lay a substantial bet that we should start seeing some real eye candy charts rolling out post new year. 

This year seems to have a 2012-13 ring to it. Quite a changeable zonal setup pre Christmas with the usual wet and windy weather, followed by a possible drastic flip into January, as we saw happen. 

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes, i detect a step change in the gefs low res ………..

Many showing building HLB, wave 2 activity, strong signals that we'll be seeing some epic eye candy charts in the next few days.

This forum should be buzzing!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But, if Snowmageddon tarries for too long, peeps'll start predicting its breakdown...?:shok:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Tropical modelling suggests a coherent MJO wave to enter the Maritime Continent during the coming week.

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.thumb.png.4e1d9d33953a58b67bb679412aadfa04.png988072242_ECMF_phase_51m_full(1).thumb.gif.d527c4742cef7e768a50559fe0bb57e9.gif

Week 2 forecasts indicate a widespread -ve velocity potential across the central and eastern Pacific, where SSTAs are well above normal and likely to favour enhanced westerlies (weaker Trades). There have been several westerly wind bursts this autumn and early part of the winter and I would expect this to be another one in evolution.

time_lon_EQ_hf_sst_uwnd_anom_anom_201807_201812_2018121910.thumb.png.648006fead4695fde0b194a3b1780786.png

So although the MJO signal is relatively weak, this will transpose onto a an El Nino low frequency base state. Total and relative angular momentum will as a result increase. There's no indication of deposition of westerlies via mountain torques over Asia, so a steady laddering up of angular momentum looks most likely. 

That's a signal for phase 6 evolution in the first week of January.

1599721510_janphase6.thumb.gif.a3eb9cfe4b8840117782c97693fe4b66.gif

We should then begin to see westerlies scrubbed from the atmosphere over time returning the GWO towards phases 7 and 8 during week 3 (2nd week January, possibly with the MJO in phase 8).

1236484031_janphase7.thumb.gif.01d72000f28ad035e18a2348845cbd86.gif696002106_gwophase8jan.thumb.gif.f295f4e49799f927c9b1bab4707fc59d.gif

That could well coincide with the first lagged impacts of the stratospheric warming. With the net ENSO, GWO and MJO signals, I'd suggest mean trough solution across Scandinavia and into Europe with a Greenland type high is the most likely evolution. What do you say CFS ?

wk3.wk4_20181218_z500.thumb.gif.93de0ae3512bb186bf277ef0f6fbb9b1.gif

So you're thinking a Greenland High more likely than a Scandinavian High, bringing a northerly rather than an easterly? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 minutes ago, ZK099 said:

So you're thinking a Greenland High more likely than a Scandinavian High, bringing a northerly rather than an easterly? 

Still looks easterly to me, perhaps slightly NE. 

Edit: as final evolution

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

We now have consensus between ukmo ec at 144..

Pretty much, EC has the colder air more into Europe towards France but splitting hairs really.

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

after tomorrow it looks cold or a very cold Xmas period in my neck of the woods...after new year looks a bit messy though

17 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Still looks easterly to me, perhaps slightly NE. 

Edit: as final evolution

I'm unsure although SSWs usually do favour an easterly for us as far as I'm aware. GP an expert on this sort of thing though so definitely worth paying attention to. To be honest, I'd rather a Greenie bringing a North Easterly, been far too long since we had a potent one of those. Last prolonged one has to be 2010

Edited by ZK099